cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Ip address gives me USA adverts

Poots
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

Hi, for some time now when attached to our home IP address all me searches adverts place us in the usa . This is the case with both pc and our phones. It's very annoying.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Poots,

How has your connection been over the last few days?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Poots

Thank you. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Poots
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 13

Ok thank you I'll try that when home tonight. Is did try a reset but didn't leave it that long. Many thanks

Message 4 of 13

Good tip from Michelle and this may also assign a new public IP address to your router.

Here's some advice from Google on search results that indicates it's not just the public IP address that is used to determine your location but that previous activity and other connected devices may have an influence.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 13

Hi Poots,

Have you also tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

Michelle

Poots
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

Hi, thanks again for you reply. I'll do as you suggest but why does my wife's phone also have the same results and a laptop that doesn't get used much give the same results? . As I don't have a problem when on 5g  this would suggest there's a problem with the internet at home? Am I missing something? Many thanks

Message 7 of 13

I certainly would expect you to get UK advertising etc. Make sure your browser time zone is set for the UK GMT and if necessary clear the browser cache and all cookies.

0 Likes

Poots
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

It gives approx location of Newcastle. It's UK so you would imagine I'd get UK results. I've turned off the VPN some time ago. It was the first thing I tried.

Message 9 of 13

My IP address

Click on the above link and it'll give the public IP address. 

I see that if you're using the UK mobile phone network you get UK search results. This does suggest that your home broadband public IP address is not registered in the UK as would be the case if you were using a VPN hosted overseas.

To allow websites to show the right content for your region, VPN by Google One will assign you an IP address based on your current region and you cannot pre-select a VPN host server. With other VPN's you can usually select the host server you wish to use.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

If I want to search for say a coat the adverts are for American web sites . This goes for both mine and my wife's phone plus the pc . I've contacted Google and given them my IP address to check it out. Sorry I'm not too complete savvy.

0 Likes

Poots
Chatterbox
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

Thanks for your reply .No I had Google one VPN but switched it off and as far as I know no other VPN in use. When away from home or using 5G the results are UK based.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

My IP address

What is your public IP address?  Are you using a VPN as part of a standalone VPN service, a work from home connection, or VPN as part of an Internet Security package?

0 Likes