cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Lightning Strike Now V.Slow BB & No Landline

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

We had a very close lightning strike here in NW London earlier this afternoon, likely under 150m away. I was online but the PC didn't disconnect however all the USB devices attached had to reinitialize before they worked again.

I shut down immediately after that just in case there were further strikes but it seemed to be a weird one off blast.

The TT modem/router too had disconnected from the internet and was flashing its orange LED for at least  couple of hours indicating no connection before returning to normal state. However after being surprise it was OK I restarted the PC but realised quickly it was very slow - down to below 3Mbs from its usual 35 - 40Mbs.

That's one thing: the other is my landline has clearly been affected too. There's no dial tone with either of the two attached handsets. I've yet to test another spare handset in the Master Socket but as the internet is now working I didn't want to try that until I'd reported the problem here.

Just as I'd finished that paragraph (31.12.23 20.15) the modem/router started flashing orange once more and I've lost my internet connection again. 😞

Back again (20.40) so I'll try to post now.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard,

Total loss of service refers to the loss of both services but also the loss of just one service so the fact that broadband continued to work won't affect the compensation due.

Please also see the following help article, hope it helps - Copper Telephone Network Switch Off - What does i... - TalkTalk Help & Support

Chris

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 18

Thanks for pointing me at the info.

The criteria is a bit disingenuous as it talks about "total" loss of service and whilst that does effectively apply to the landline my internet was working even at very slow speed for a few hours each day.

As I mentioned earlier, as it was consistent, I was very suspicious of that being some deliberate DLM thing. That makes me even more suspicious of the reason for doing that. But we'll see what happens.

As for the 'spare' modem/router thing: if you don't ask you don't get and it was worth a try as the lightning strike, a so called 'act of god', has cost me, with its effects and the replacement equipment and connectors I've had to buy, quite a bit already.

Any info on the TalkTalk landline VOIP modem/router matter I raised? It would be useful to know what is going to happen well in advance for those of us wanting to maintain their existing telephony options.  If there is already a thread on this or I should open a new one myself please let me know.  

0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard

Further information on our compensation policy can be found here About your auto compensation credit

We will be unable to send out a router to keep as a spare sorry.

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 18

All still good this morning, same speeds as reported yesterday.

What I'm wondering now is if I'm entitled to any recompense/credit for being without a 'phone connection and severely limited internet access for over a week? Can I at least get a spare router sent to me (gratis).* 

I understand this lightning strike was an 'act of god' but the fact is if I had not had that spare, sent to me after a previous reported significant internet speed drop several years ago which went on for weeks, I'd need any new one anyway.

If I'd been cut off from using the internet entirely how could I have made TalkTalk aware of the problem? I was just lucky this time and I do have mobile which, ironically, I only bought 17 years ago to be able to report a telephone line problem to BT. Not everyone has a mobile and many people do not have or can afford to have a 'smart' 'phone. 

That sort of trouble would be be even more likely when the 'analogue' land line turn off occurs too.

*That made me think - for those that want to maintain their telephony connections what is going to happen before the 'analogue' land line turn off? Are TalkTalk going to issue new modem/routers with a built in BT/RJ11 VOIP connection socket or some sort of adapter?  

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard,

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that the engineer has managed to resolve the problem. Just let us know if you need any further assistance

Chris

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 18

Tuesday 09.01.24 Update.

Had the Open Reach guy arrived today; took most of the morning to sort out as they needed to call in an "apple picker" vehicle to fix the problem.

Apparently another property close by, not any of my immediate neighbours, suffered the same sort of thing after the lightning strike and their modem/router had been damaged.

Open Reach fitted a new Master Socket front plate with built in micro-filter to replace the fried one but the main problem was apparently a simple cable connection somewhere down the road to the cabinet which may have been going anyway due to wear and tear. The lightning strike hastened its end but there was still minimal but poor physical connection left.

Anyway, that is now now sorted, landline working and internet..............................................well the problem turned out not to have been fully resolved. I'd set up an unused TalkTalk modem/router for test purposes myself because disconnecting everything from the TalkTalk primary router is a pain. So Open Reach used that too but I thought if that is working the other one will work OK.

Well once Open Reach had gone I tried the primary router again and it looks like the lightning must have partly damaged that too because, despite the 'newer' router working perfectly in the identical set up, the otherwise identical 'older' one was still struggling to connect. 

So the lightning damage took out the BT wireless handset base, the attached microfilter and the modem/router too. 😞

Happy enough now the problems are fixed and as you'll see below I'm currently getting 60+Mbs/18+Mbs download/upload speeds, faster than it has ever been. I'm not counting on that being maintained but as long as it stays in the same region I'll be happy.

Only thing I'm not so happy about is that Open Reach, when fitting the new Master socket face-plate, left the internal hard wired connection disabled. I didn't realise the implications of that at the time but it means that the extension sockets, including the one I use for my PC/primary modem/router in another room are now not connected into my house 'phone line wired network and via that to the internet.

I'm currently using a 20m ethernet cable running across two rooms to connect my PC to the newer router in its new position near the Master socket. I've used this temporary set up many times before when Master socket testing previous internet/land line faults.

I should point out that this was not the Open Reach engineers fault but my own not making it clear the modem/router position was not normally in that room but connected via the, now disabled, hard wired cable.

However the fact is that with ordinary land lines being phased out I was going to have have to move the modem/router to that room anyway so that VOIP, using existing my home 'phone network, was possible. That would mean sorting out either a wi-fi or cable or power line adapter solution for all the PCs and other devices I have, or should now say, had connected to the primary router in its previous location.

So this is not a complaint it is just that it has forced me into fast tracking a solution to accommodate that new primary router location and the consequential necessary, significant home network arrangement changes.

09.01.24  Restored Speed09.01.24 Restored Speed

0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

'Appointed' means that we arrange a visit to your home setting a date and time slot for the visit. 'Non-appointed' means that no appointment to the home is initially arranged, an engineer is assigned to check the line/exchange initially, after doing this the engineer may then contact you directly to arrange access to your home if required.

Chris

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 18

As long as I get notification by Open Reach before any necessary visit (as said mobile message best idea) to ensure there is somebody here, that's fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Sunday Edit 7.01.24

BTW What does "....non-appointed task mean......."? Does it mean they know there is an external problem with the connection to my property which has not yet been fixed and it is on their "to do" list?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard,

The line test is now failing with a reason code that requires that we raise this as a non-appointed task which I've now done. Openreach will investigate over the next few days and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 18

Yes, all days apart from Friday (tomorrow) but preferably afternoon rather than morning.

I understand about the threatened Open Reach call out charge but if this is not, at least in part, an external or provider side Master Socket issue I'll be very surprised.

I'll repeat this so it is on record again: I'm pretty sure my BT wireless handset 'phone base station has been damaged, probably fatally. But the second wired telephone that was not attached to anything, reserved for emergency testing like this, when plugged into the internal Master socket connection has exactly the same problems previously described. So that has to be an external fault.

An additional matter: for the last three days I have only had intermittent BB connection. It will be off for hours then suddenly the TalkTalk modem/router will connect. Today is a perfect example. It'll remain on or at least reconnect consistently for a few hours then just as suddenly it'll stop doing that and not reconnect for 12hrs - 16hrs. This has been repeating far too regularly for it not to be something significant.

It smells of some form of line management going on which is not connected to the fault. Is this deliberate DLM policy when a connection is detected as faulty? If not, why is it happening so regularly? If there is a fault preventing connection how does it 'magically' fix itself for a few hours?

The only other thing I can think of that it might be is the interference causing the fault is that the lightning damage resulted in an open/crossed-line. The other person's use is consistent and causes the regular pattern of disconnection I'm experiencing. 

Anyway whatever the cause it is annoying not at least knowing when the internet is going to be available. So if it is a DLM issue it would help to be given a heads up about what hours it is going to allow me use the internet. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Good afternoon,

I'm really sorry to hear this. So just to confirm, you can do any day apart from Fridays and any AM (8-1) or PM (1-6) appointment? Could you also please confirm that you accept possible time related charges and we can arrange the engineer visit for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 18

This becoming intolerable - I posted above assuming that even with low speed I would at least be able to get online.

Yesterday it was OK (2.5Mbs) for 2 or 3 hours and the BB connection was being maintained for some time after that but mid-evening it went missing entirely (orange LED flashing) and AFAIK did not reconnect for over 12 hrs. It has twice dropped again since then. Working now but even slower that it was before.

Clearly something is seriously wrong that is not going to be fixed just by waiting so I think the only sensible solution is to request an Open Reach visit if it can be arranged through here.

It can not be on Friday but should be doable any other day from now on.

Please make clear to Open Reach that they won't be able to contact me beforehand by landline and possibly (who knows?) email either, for obvious reasons. Messaging by my mobile number, which TalkTalk should have, to arrange the day/time etc is likely going to be the only solution.

Thanks for the help provided here.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard

Thanks for your reply.

I will check in again with you on Friday to see how the connection has been.

Debbie

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 18

I think I'll wait a few days just to see if the problem is resolved 'naturally', by which I mean if it is damage at the cabinet or the line to the cabinet I'm sure other people in my road will have called in Open Reach too. If they already know there is a problem with my connection as well, as it sounds as if they do, then it should be fixed at the same time.

However if the problem persists until the end of the week then yes I'd appreciate an Open Reach visit to be arranged, hopefully next week, as I can't guarantee when it will be convenient until then. I'll post here on Saturday to confirm it one way or the other but if you don't hear from me because I can't get online assume I want the visit and text me on my mobile. If that is OK.

Thanks, for the help so far.

Today internet speed still <3Mbs but hasn't cut out completely since late last night/early this morning.   

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi Cluster-Lizard

I'm really sorry to hear this.  

The line test is detecting a potential fault towards the property and Openreach are requesting that we arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Would you like me to arrange this visit? Please can you provide your availability AM and PM?

Please can you also confirm potential engineer charges Engineer charges

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 18

Thanks for the info ^. But I doubt I'll be able to contact anyone by 'phone for the reasons explained below.

Internet on and off for the last 24hrs and slow as before. Obviously working now but that is with all 'phones disconnected. If I try to use one the internet connection drops too.

I've tested the Master Socket direct connection and the BB and landline behaviour reported, whilst not consistent, is still generally the same. So it is at least partly an external problem. I'd guess the lightning damaged the connection to/from the cabinet as well.

I'm pretty sure the main BB filter I had on the Master Socket twin 'phone connections is dead as when I replaced that with the spare I have I did at least get a dial-tone which I was not getting before. However I tried dialing out (the talking clock), that worked but I found I couldn't hang up. The second 'phone,  a BT wireless handset model reported the line was still in use so I disconnected both from the socket.

I tried again later with the BT wireless handset and it still reported the line was in use, no dial tone and when I tried the other 'phone I could hear something very faintly which sounded like a BT Sport commentary before going silent.

It suggests there is an open line somewhere. I put the 'phone down, picked it up again and eventually got a dial tone, the same test call worked but again I couldn't hang up. To disconnected I had to disconnect the 'phone from the socket again.

That failure to disconnect I want noted here in case TT try to charge me for the call I made and it did not disconnect.

Clearly something very wrong at present and I suspect I've lost the BT wireless handset 'phone as well as the BB filter. 😞

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

@Cluster-Lizard, try to inform Talktalk via Chat, first thing on Monday  (9am+).

Phone support and forum staff will not be back before Tuesday. 

Report this asap if it's still a problem in the morning:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

Let us know how you get on. 

And Happy New Year when it comes!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.