cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Line Problem 30.10.23

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

Last night, in fact very early morning, about 30 minutes after I'd shut down my PC I noticed that my router's LED was flashing indicating it had disconnected and was reconnecting. I fell asleep before that happened. 🙂

All looked OK next time I checked, 9am but I received a 'silent' "No Number" telephone landline call at 11.20am. What I noticed immediately was that the line was very crackly. I've not had that sort of problem for a long time.

Booted up my PC and checked the BB speed and from my now usual 50+Mbs it was back down to poor pre-FTTC download speeds ie. below 2Mbs! My upload speed was also down in speed from a typical 17+Mbs to 14Mbs. That disparity between the download and upload speeds indicated it was most likely an external fault of some some sort.

Anyway I rechecked with two different speed testing sites and both confirmed the speed drops.

After running TT's diagnostic and line fault 'fixing' tool it, eventually, reported the fault had been repaired. So I tested the speed again and indeed it is back up to the lower end of the expected range 45Mbs/14Mbs. I guess in time once the line is 'stable' after whatever this problem was/is it will get back up to the previous 50+Mbs/17Mbs level.

However, when I checked my landline and I could still hear crackling on the line as though there was an open connection.

Needless to say I have not added too or changed any of my telephony or other connected devices for, literally, years so this concerns me. It is or must have been an external problem and why I am reporting this here now in case the problem isn't 100% fixed and reappears in the next 48hrs.

If there is no repeat of the problem I'll re-post to mark this issue as resolved. Fingers crossed because I really need to be able to use the internet without any problems tomorrow.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi again,

Ok, no problem 🙂 if there is no change in speed then please let us know and we'd be happy to take a look for you.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

0 Likes

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 7

Not back to its highest speeds, still 44Mbs/14Mbs about -15% down, but that has been stable since my last post. No doubt that will improve in time.

No other problems with the landline now crackle free.

So I think it is OK to mark this as a 'mystery' temporary problem that has now been fixed.

Thanks for the quick response and help.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Afternoon,

How has your connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 4 of 7

Hello,

Ok, no problem. I'll check back in with you in 24hrs just to ensure that the everything is still ok.

Thanks

Michelle 🙂

Cluster-Lizard
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the quick response.

I've just checked the landline and the crackling seems to have gone and, as said, the BB speed in back up to the lower end of its expected range. All seems OK at this time and so there is no need to check the line again.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your post. Would you like us to run a line test on the voice service now?

Thanks

Michelle