cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Moved from Shell, trying to leave Talk talk

FredBloggs7
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 43 of 43

Has anyone just been transferred to Talk Talk from Shell/Octopus?  I was told by Shell that I could leave Talk Talk once we were moved over, with no financial penalty, although my contract doesn’t expire until 2026.  Spent 2 hours online with Talk Talk yesterday and they won’t budge.  Want to charge me £229 to leave.  

Is anyone in in the same position?  I’m going to take this to CISAS, as I don’t want to stay with Talk Talk - too many awful reviews.

42 REPLIES 42

Message 1 of 43

Did that bill actually include the £12.50?

The £12.50 is NOT going to be taken  - Talktalk knows there is an error with its DD system. 

But the initial bill would have covered the period since switch over till the billing date and the full month ahead.

The Shell Migration team can check that there's no duplication with the period covered by Talktalk  /previous Shell payments. 

That team can be reached through phone / Chat.

If you have paid Talktalk too much, the quickest way to reclaim the overpayment is via the DD details in My Account, @MichaelRobinson.

If you have left TT before the end of the period contracted with Shell, you are likely to be charged early termination fees. 

So there may be some fallout from your rapid departure. 

If you need support from staff, please return to the message board and click on start a topic so that your case can be handled separately. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 43

I was migrated to Talktalk and they are trying to bill me for 37.50 for some reason and then they emailed me to say they failed to collect the Direct debit so will be charging me another £12.50

I had not stopped any direct debit or anything. So I have made a payment of £25.43 the correct amount by credit card and have cancelled the direct debit and have already told them I am leave waiting for Vodafone to connect me.

Won't be paying Talktalk another penny they can take me to court if they like 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 43

@mderby 

Hi,
Please start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.
To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"
Please also note that you should only post back on that thread and not start another on the same topic as multiple posts cause delay to you and others seeking help.
Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

mderby
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 43

I have been told my direct debit has failed and they want to charge me £12.50 admin fee. There is no reason for it to fail. If I wanted to be with them I would have joined them years ago, Disgusted

0 Likes

Message 5 of 43

@angrybat66 companies will not share sensitive information with customers.

It would give too much info to competitors.

Any information that can be shared will appear in the press at the appropriate time.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

angrybat66
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 43

Shell customers were migrated to TalkTalk when it was undergoing a dire financial crisis due to its 1£billion debt owed to creditors. It has been partly rescued this month by some investment by it's founder Sir Charles Dunstone, Tosca fund and Ares Management. On 26/8/24, TT's chief finance manager, James Smith was still in discussion with potential investors. The finance from incoming Shell customers has been used as 'security' by bondholders.  Surely all TT and ex-shell customers deserve information and updates about TT's risk of going under.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 43

You MUST contact the LOYALTY team on the phone, @Lizakaren.

Forum staff can't sort cancellations other than checking that they are correct processed. 

0 Likes

Lizakaren
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 43

I can’t get through to talk to a person to help., I want to leave too

0 Likes

Message 9 of 43
0 Likes

Message 10 of 43

@JoeXXX please start your own thread if you have an issue the support staff can help with.

It's a transitional period so it sorts itself out next month.

0 Likes

JoeXXX
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 43

I joined shell to get away from TalkTalk. A mistake there . They now want to put on a month in advance as well as changing the billing period and that more than doubles the cost for the coming month. They are simply robbers.

Message 12 of 43

@DavidCochran, if you need any advice from staff, please start your own thread. It's not particularly helpful to post at the end of other customers' threads and your issues won't be addressed as staff only respond to the original poster.

It's normal to have to give 30 days' notice when you leave, and it's explained clearly in Talktalk's Ts&Cs. The exception, out of contract, is when you organise a switch with another company, moving everything across, including the phone number, and then you would normally just pay Talktalk to the date of the switch.

Usually monthly billing continues until it is clear that the switch happened and excess paid for is detailed in the next bill. You claim any excess via My Account, so leave the Direct Debit details in place for now to facilitate that process 

Any problems, do start your own topic. 

0 Likes

DavidCochran
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 43

I was out of contract with Shell, to be honest I was happy with Shell but knew fibre was going into my are so wanted options. Moved to Talk Talk last Friday, internet dropped speed from Saturday, no fault apparently. Customer service agents all reading from a script not able to do anything unless the computer says. Was advised 16 devices was too many for 250 Mbps even though most not doing much and that I needed to upgrade to to full fibre which I actually couldn't do at the time (this was rubbish)lucky fibre has now literally just gone live so rang to cancel told need to give 30 days. I simply wanted to let my final month with shell run and leave as I'm not getting what I should be but can't be bothered to argue the toss with Talk Talk. They've agreed to let me give 7 days notice which means I leave at the end of the month I've paid for. Really unimpressed by the service I can take issues but when there's a fault and nobody is interested it really frustrating, they closed my complaint now I'm leaving, not that I expected anything different. Shell contract in my view shouldn't stand especially if the service isn't the same standard. Service centre at shell was 1000% better.

Message 14 of 43

@angrybat66 

Please start your own topic if you would like an individual response from the support team. CISAS is the independent arbitration body that will look into any dispute you may have with TalkTalk, but only after you have tried to resolve any issues with them first directly. 

0 Likes

angrybat66
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 43

Yes I'm leaving as I want basic Fullfibre package and UK call centres.   My contract with Shell goes up to Jan 2026.  I've been sent letter/email by TalkTalk saying that I will have to pay estimated £180+.  Scare tactics. This is wrong we are signed up to Shell terms which charges £6.50 for each month left of contract, not the TalkTalk charge of £10 approx per month.  The Shell/talktalk South African call centre has given me a lot of misinformation.  What is CISAS?

Message 16 of 43

It depends when your original contract with Shell ends: if your contract finishes - as in my case in December 2024 and you decide to leave now, you have to pay early cancellation fees, for me that's around GBP 10 per month.

Be careful what they are telling you about returning the equipment if you are still in contract - they blatantly lied when I rang them first and said they would charge me £50 if I don't return my equipment. However I was in touch again with the Shell team and they sent me a link: Shell equipment doesn't need to be returned. 

I have left two days ago and cancelled my direct debit - I've lost trust and am worried I may be charged for non return of equipment on top of my early cancellation fees. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 43

@Renlau 

Hi,
Please start your own thread as each case is considered unique and it is easier for support to be given to one person per thread and also less confusing.
To start your thread click the Browse button, then Help With Your Service and select the appropriate category. You will then see a Blue Button "Start A Topic"
Please also note that you should only post back on that thread and not start another on the same topic as multiple posts cause delay to you and others seeking help.

I suggest if you have proof of what you are saying that you post this on your thread as indications from staff is that it is only billing that has been taken over for the duration of your remaining contract. 

If you leave early you incur a fee.
Thank you

0 Likes

Renlau
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 43

I was also assured of this via shell and talktalk are now attempting to charge me a cancellation fee despite me not entering a contract with them, did you have any luck with the honouring your right to leave?

0 Likes

Message 19 of 43

@DJMarky, if you need support on the forum about this, please start your own thread.

Others who have posted here have been told that any duplication will indeed be refunded. 

Talktalk will have billed from the switch over date to the start of the billing cycle which will also cover the month ahead. 

There's a whole team of people dealing with the Shell accounts, and they are tidying up all the loose ends.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 43

Hi @DJMarky 
Thank you

0 Likes