cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

My Internet is always painfully slow...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 2 of 2

I have been under contract with TalkTalk's fast broadband package in the Niddrie area of Edinburgh since March of last year. I live in a high rise flat, on the second floor.

My contract isn't due to run out until September. Unfortunately, I have grown frustrated at how tediously slow the Internet is, which is all of the time.

General web pages load immediately, but watching videos in HD on any major platform with no option to select even the lowest quality of 144p, makes it impossible to watch anything, really, as videos on YouTube, OnlyFans, etc only play for a mere second, then jam. Pausing the video does nothing, as the issue then persists. 

On YouTube, videos generally do not freeze. But on any other site with streaming or video playback, it's just impossible to view anything, as it just refuses to play for anything other than a second.

My speed only shows as 0.5 MBPS, which is practically useless in our modern era. Ages ago, I cast this up, so I was sent a new router that is actually seemingly just the same as the other one, which I still have. 

It's just awfully pointless to retain the Internet when it's this terrible, to say the least...

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 2

Hi

I'll optimise the connection for you now.

As you are on a standard ADSL connection, the best speeds I've seen your line achieve is around 2mb.

With streaming services sending more high quality content, needing more bandwidth and speed, ADSL is just not suitable for the type of content some of these services are sending.

I would advise you to consider a fibre connectionat some point in the future. Not necessarily with TalkTalk, but shop around and get the best deal for you, but a full fibre connection would provide increased speeds to cope with the high quality bitrate content that streaming services are now sending.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.