cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Neighbour's Tree branches fouling telephone lines

ajay123
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

my neighbour's trees are overgrown and fouling the telephone lines to my property and my internet keeps dropping out intermittently. I can't reach anyone in TalkTalk - please can anyone advise who is responsible for cutting them back?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

many thanks for this...I have passed your findings onto the relevant person....

everything crossed in getting the charges agreed before proceeding ...

Message 2 of 13

It probably falls foul of this situation, @ajay123:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

"We'll charge you if the Openreach engineer was unable to find a fault with your service or the fault was found to be related to a condition in your property or garden. Any faults related to your main phone socket may also incur a charge, as will issues caused by any personal devices connected to your line. You won’t be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment."

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hello Karl

I have asked for my neighbour's cooperation with the engineer's charges, however they have said ..."surely Openreach has the responsibility to maintain clearance around their telephone poles and cables, irrespective of any fault reporting"   

Could you please advise on this ? 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

Hi

Line tests are passing currently, and I'm not seeing any retrains (drops) to your service at the moment.

This means that any engineer that is arranged has to be appointed - so an agreed appointment made with you for an Openreach broadband engineer to attend.

Before you progress with this, please review the Openreach engineer charge conditions at https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Engineer-charges/ta-p/2207291

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

I already put my mobile number in there, but I have now added the account number and landline number...

Many thanks

AJ

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

Hi

Can you add your account number or home phone number to your 'Community Profile' so I can locate your account.

I then need to run a line test as the result will determine the next step, and the type of engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi Karl

Hope you had a good weekend.

Can you review my last message please? and advise how I can get the process started to get the trees cut back at the bottom of next door's garden?

Many thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

Hi

Can you add your home phone number or account number to your 'Community Profile' and I'll check the line first to see if the tests pass or fail.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

ajay123
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

Hi Karl

Many thanks for the advice.

I understand the property owner is a Landlord of an HMO and the managing agents are in direct contact with him. So I believe access shouldn't be a problem. It's just taking time finding out who is responsible and ultimately getting something done.....

How do I get the ball rolling on this please ?

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi

TalkTalk cannot arrange a tree surgeon. The lines belong to Openreach so only they can arrange for any contractor to work on their lines.  I've seen this many times on public land where we dispatch an engineer an they arrange a tree surgeon for this.    If however the line runs across private land, then it does take a little longer.  

the engineer would ask your neighbour to complete a form granting permission for access to their land.  BT refer to this as an A55.   When this is submitted, then they can arrange for work to proceed.

I have seen instances where permission has been refused by a landowner and this then really complicates things.

I would first, have a chat with your neighbour, see if they are able to cut the trees back.  If they are not able to, then at least see if they are amenable to someone having access to do this.

If they flatly refuse, then it will be difficult to resolve.  If you have a good relationship with your neighbour and they are open to this, then we can progress with an engineer to get the ball rolling.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi Karl thanks for responding.

Openreach say -

• Contact your provider:

If you notice your trees impacting phone lines, reach out to your local telephone provider (TALKTALK) to report the issue and discuss potential solutions.

• Professional tree work:

If tree trimming is required, the utility company (TALKTALK) will typically arrange for a professional tree surgeon to do the work safely.

How do I get Talktalk to arrange this?

By the way All the chat lines appear to be down, the support links I have been sent are broken (bad gateway) 

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi

Ultimately, the responsibility is that of your neighbour in the first instance.  If Openeach need to maintain their line, and they need to access your neighbours property, they would need to request permission.

On public land, Openreach often arrange for a tree surgeon to cut back overgrown trees that impact a line.

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes