cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Netflix thinks I'm using a VPN / unblocker / proxy service?

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

In the last few days we noticed certain shows disappearing and reappearing from Netflix. We've identified that it only happens on our TalkTalk connection (when using the Netflix app on mobile data the affected shows are still visible).

We contacted Netflix support who told us that 'our systems have detected that you are connecting via a VPN, proxy, or “unblocker” service'.

We were directed to this Netflix knowledge base article: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/277?g=44944D6EB950D6A3AAC307E1BEE6361B6451BC7D&lkid=URL_SUPPORT_277...

I've verified that we are not (at least knowingly) using any kind of VPN or proxy with our connection. Our external IP address appears to be the correct TalkTalk one, the Fast.com speed checker shows us as a TalkTalk customer in GB.

I guess TalkTalk need to contact Netflix in order to get the IP address removed from a blacklist, how do I get this resolved?

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 21 of 46

I can confirm that once the issue starts happening, all devices on the network are affected. It's still possible to toggle the missing titles on and off by switching to a separate mobile data connection and simply pressing F5.

Netflix insist that they are working on the problem but also are adamant that I'm using a VPN. I use a VPN client to connect to my office when I'm working from home, but this is only installed on the PC I'm using for work, and shouldn't be able to affect other devices that use the same connection... right?

Please let me know if there are any other diagnostic steps you'd like me to try!

0 Likes

Message 22 of 46

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, is this still happening on more than one device?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 23 of 46

Installed the new router this morning and things were all working; the issue has reoccurred this evening.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 46
0 Likes

Message 25 of 46

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 26 of 46

Hi Paul,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery

Chris

Message 27 of 46

I'd be happy to give that a try, yes 🙂

0 Likes

Message 28 of 46

Hello,

Thanks. Would you like us to send a Huawei Wifi Hub instead to see how this compares and to rule the router out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 29 of 46

Its the TalkTalk supplied router - FAST 5364. I did have a brief try with another router that I happen to have lying about, but it doesn't support VDSL so I couldn't use it.

Is there anything I could check on the router interface to determine whether this [configuration being modified by something inside the network] is happening? I know there are UPNP rules added by software although they appear to just be "permit this service". I'm happy to carry out any other diagnostic steps that might be relevant.

If it's relevant, the VPN client we use for work is Checkpoint Endpoint Security VPN E85.20.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 46

Hi,

Can I just confirm, what make and model of router are you currently using? Have you ever tested with a different router just to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 31 of 46

Yes, the issue recurred on 22nd Nov and was once again resolved by restarting the router. It seems to be usable for roughly 2 days before going off again.

Netflix support's latest suggestion was that it could be the VPN software I use to connect to my office (which is installed on 1 laptop and 1 desktop but not on any other devices). This seemed highly unlikely (given that all devices are affected) and I don't know how this would be making changes to the router configuration that would affect other devices on the network, although I guess it might be theoretically possible?

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 32 of 46

Hi Paul,

Can I just confirm, is this still happening since your last post please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 33 of 46

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems. We'll let you know when we have any further information from our Network Engineers

Chris

0 Likes

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 34 of 46

Latest update (FWIW). Last night (about 00.30) we'd literally just finished one episode of Flowers and then the Netflix error message saying they'd detected a VPN or unblocker popped up and we were not allowed to start watching the next episode. As of now the shows (basically anything that's not a recent Netflix original) are missing.

Not aware of anything that would've changed on our connection at this time for this to suddenly start happening again? Our TalkTalk external IP address doesn't appear to have changed although the geolocation is different from last time I checked (Handforth instead of Formby -  both in NW England so this shouldn't be an issue, surely?)

Extremely frustrating that it keeps coming and going like this. Is there anything TalkTalk is doing to its outgoing connection that could be making Netflix think I'm not a legitimate UK user?

0 Likes

Message 35 of 46

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information. One of our Network Engineers is also looking at this and I will let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 36 of 46

I contacted Netflix support again who have at least admitted that their "research team" is looking into an issue. During the course of the Live Chat, the missing shows became available again and so far the issue seems once again to have been resolved.

For info - any device in our house which uses the TalkTalk connection was affected, including PCs, consoles & set-top boxes. We do have a second router internally on the network (configured to provide an additional access point) but the internal DHCP still comes from the TalkTalk router and there's no customisation of DNS.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 46

Morning,

How are you getting on? Did you see my last reply below?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 38 of 46

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Our team have come back and asked if this is happening on more than one device? Which devices does this happen on? Are you using any custom DNS set ups?

Thanks

0 Likes

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 39 of 46

Hmm, the problem has returned overnight with many titles missing from Netflix again. (The titles that remain are mostly Netflix originals.)

My IP address has not changed - it's still the "after" address listed in my Private Notes.

I can very easily demonstrate the issue - with my phone as a mobile hotspot (on Tesco Mobile) I just have to press F5 to reload the Netflix search results and the shows are visible again. Switch back to TalkTalk and they're gone.

What now?

0 Likes

Message 40 of 46

Morning,

I'm glad to hear that this has resolved this particular issue for you. Thanks for adding the additional information to your Private Notes. I've fed this back to one of our Network Engineers now.

Thanks

0 Likes