cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Netflix thinks I'm using a VPN / unblocker / proxy service?

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 46 of 46

In the last few days we noticed certain shows disappearing and reappearing from Netflix. We've identified that it only happens on our TalkTalk connection (when using the Netflix app on mobile data the affected shows are still visible).

We contacted Netflix support who told us that 'our systems have detected that you are connecting via a VPN, proxy, or “unblocker” service'.

We were directed to this Netflix knowledge base article: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/277?g=44944D6EB950D6A3AAC307E1BEE6361B6451BC7D&lkid=URL_SUPPORT_277...

I've verified that we are not (at least knowingly) using any kind of VPN or proxy with our connection. Our external IP address appears to be the correct TalkTalk one, the Fast.com speed checker shows us as a TalkTalk customer in GB.

I guess TalkTalk need to contact Netflix in order to get the IP address removed from a blacklist, how do I get this resolved?

0 Likes
45 REPLIES 45

Message 41 of 46

Hi

Glad this worked. I've seen this happen before with other websites.  Often when a new range of IP addresses are added it can take around 24hrs in most cases for some organisations to update their filters with the new IP details.

Also, geolocation via IP is not totally accurate, but should still at least pinpoint the country if not the region.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 42 of 46

Yep, new IP address and the shows are there again. I've added the details on my Private Notes.

Thank you for your help!

0 Likes

Message 43 of 46

Hello,

The 30 minute router power down should result in a different IP address. Could you make a note of the IP address before and after you have tried the 30 minute router power down and add this to the Private Notes section of your community profile if this does resolve this particular issue and we can feed this back. Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Paul Fenney
Participant
Private Message
Message 44 of 46

Thanks for your reply, I'll give that a try later tonight. Will that 30 minute delay mean I'm assigned a different external IP address? (This might resolve the problem for me, although the affected IP address would still go back in your pool and could potentially affect another user.)

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 45 of 46

Morning,

Have you tried powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retested again as this will reset the current session?

Thanks

0 Likes