cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New Router Not Working

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

After much negotiation with Talktalk CS, I got a new Sagemcom wifi hub, though have found that it is less reliable than the D Link DSL-2680 it replaced.

The new router would not allow all devices on at first, stating the passwords were wrong - I logged into the router and changed the password and that allowed everything on after a few goes and a few resets of the thing.

Since then the internet has been incredibly unreliable and dropped out entirely (flashing orange light on the router) for two minutes every 15-30 minutes or so, which has made it impossible to do anything. I have done some searching around these forums and elsewhere and checked for firmware and so on, but the only thing that has fixed it is reverting back to the old D Link router.

Some other factors I'd found and weighed up

- devices putting too much strain on the router. I've dismissed this as I am only a moderate user and the exact same devices are connected to both. A new one surely has more capacity and usage is identical - light streaming at standard resolution, internet browsing, some gaming. Wifi is generally consistent on both and the cutting out relates to lights flashing on the router rather than the wifi connection dropping.

- Issues with the network. Unfortunatley I was unable to complete a line test with the new router without it cutting out. I did one with the old router and it generated a fault and reference number (REP-12289132), but the email that came through said that everything is operating as usual.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi bdddff

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 14

Yes, all the cables that came with it. I'll have a new one please, yes.

Message 3 of 14

Yes, it should just be a case of swapping the routers over, you shouldn't need to change any settings. Are you using the cable supplied with the new router?

Chris

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

Before you do, is there anything else I could be doing incorrectly? I assumed it would be a simple swap job and I would only need to change devices over rather than having to be logging into the router and playing with settings.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

OK, I can send another router to test with, it will be the same make and model though. Would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 6 of 14

Nope, as far as I can tell it's absolutely fine. No issues noticed at all. Only variable that has changed is the router.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 8 of 14

We have a mastersocket 5c with a line going to the router, and one to a telephone.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

OK thanks. The instability certainly appears to have started at the time that you connected the Sagemcom. How may telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone socket(s) in addition to your router?

Chris

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

Sagemcom was removed around 23:00 last night. Was used from approx 10:00 on Weds morning.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Thanks. When did you last have the Sagemcom connected?

Chris

0 Likes

bdddff
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Done

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi bdddff,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes