cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

New To Broadband and Talk Talk

ellab
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 45 of 45

This is my second time of posting - not sure what happened to my first post, so I'll try again.  If the first one does make an appearance, I'll be sure to delete this one.

I recently moved over from Shell Energy to TalkTalk.  I only ever had the phone package with Shell.  I've never had a Broadband Package,  TalkTalk don't do phone only so they offered me a good deal to stay with them and take out Broadband.

The router arrived on Saturday and my daughter came today to install.  After 3 hours, all we got was an orange flashing light - no connection.

I live in a 1960s type house that has never had broadband.  The phone line is old and I think something was done to it in the 1980s/90s to allow me to use a modern type phone - phone line has been OK for all these years.

Today I spent around 95 minutes on a support call to try and resolve the flashing orange light - but no joy - and still no internet.

My question, does this need to be activated, in there a switch on at some exchange?  Would this have been done when TalkTalk sent out the router to me?  Am I missing some sort of activation?

A basic line test  was done and this was OK - I just can't get the router to move off of the flashing orange light and make a connection.

I am asking in the forms in the hope that this could be something really basic.  I have no idea.  I will escalate to 2nd line support if I can't get any help, but just looking for some ideas.

Thanks for reading.  

0 Likes
44 REPLIES 44

Message 1 of 45

Good morning,

I'm glad to hear this 🙂

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 2 of 45

Hi there and that has fixed the issue.

Huge thanks for doing this 

I have so many questions, but as I've raised a complaint regarding all the issues I've encountered since the migration, I'll leave the complaints team to deal with these.

Thanks again for taking over this issue and resolving it.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 45

Hi

Most of our network used network authentication - so the system recognises your line.  Some circuits, especially those migrating over use password authentication - that is, a broadband user name and password has to be entered into the router settings to allow this to connect.

I've connected to your router remotely and updated these details, so it is now showing online.

See if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 45

Apologies but what do you mean by entering the username and password in the router settings? What router settings? 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 45

OK, I've taken another look at the authentication logs and it looks as though the router is using the default username. You'll need to enter the broadband username and password in the router settings. If you don't know your broadband username and password could you try calling 0345 1720 049 from your landline and the details should be read back to you (I'm not sure if this works for Shell migration customers). If this doesn't work  you'll really need to speak to the migration team again, apologies for any inconvenience.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 45

I tried that. It was only on Friday that we eventually got a white light to show connectivity.   Even then this was done at the exchange and the OpenReach person did not come back to check the connection, he just called to tell me everything was now OK. He did say to give it an hour or so for all updates to be done?? No idea what on earth he meant by that, in all my years I've never heard such a thing!!

Anyway I've tried a reset. I've tried changing the router name and password,to no avail

No connection to any device, that includes 2 phones, 2 tablets and a TV, nothing. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 45

Have you tried resetting the router to factory default settings, if not then I think it's worth a try

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 45

Sagemcom CS50001

0 Likes

Message 9 of 45

Which router do you have?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 45

No. Tried that and there is an exclamation mark on the WiFi icon area on the device. I tried a tablet too and the same happened so I know it's not the devices that are trying to connect. It's either the router or the TalkTalk service that's the problem

Honestly, this really getting beyond a joke.. I first raised this as an issue on the 29th September. It's now the 14th October and still no service. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 45

Ok thanks. If you just close the message without doing anything are your able to access the internet?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 45

Yes. I can log into the WiFi but then get another message asking me to login to the (name of connection) there is no username and password just a blank page that I have previously uploaded.

This is now testing my patience and it's shocking that I'm still experiencing issues, even though all engineers have closed off these tickets.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 45

Hi ellab,

Glad the here that Openreach have resolved the problem. Are you still experiencing the issue connecting devices to the router?

Chris

0 Likes

ellab
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 45

Screenshot_2024-10-11-16-02-01-808_com.google.android.captiveportallogin.jpg

 this is what I see when I'm asked to sign in for a second time even though I've already entered the correct WiFi password

0 Likes

Message 15 of 45

OpenReach have been and as I thought there was an issue at the exchange even though this was supposedly looked at 2 weeks ago .

Router now has a static white light but when I try to connect to the WiFi entering the correct password with either phone or tablet I'm directed to a blank authentication page which says sign in to TalkTalk (name of router)  data:text/html,

As this page is blank there is nothing to sign into and like I said I've already used the correct password to sign in.  Why am I getting this and unable to access  the internet?

I suppose one step forward I now have a static white light, but 2 steps back as I'm being asked for a blank page trying to authenticate. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 45

I'm sorry for any confusion, the email is just an automated response following an engineer visit. I can see that this has been logged out to Openreach and and engineer appointment has been booked so hopefully the issue will be resolved soon

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 45

Thanks for responding.  Yes they did mention that OpenReach would be contacted, but again - even more bizarrely, they were already contacted last week.  I received a email from them to say that work had been carried out and there was no fault, so no idea what they did first time compared to the next visit.

I'm more annoyed that this was classed as resolved - when it clearly isn't.  

This has been a shambles from day one.  I'm still no further forward and dealing with chat bots is even more frustrating.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 45

Hi ellab,

If the TalkTalk engineer couldn't resolve the problem they usually arrange a visit from an Openreach engineer, did they mention this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 45

And still the saga continues. 

TalkTalk Engineer arrived - he did exactly what I have already done.  Tried the router in the 2 connections I have and still no service.  The only difference being - he brought a replacement router too - did that work - NO!!

What infuriates me even more is the email I have just received from TalkTalk - minutes after the engineer left - "Our engineer has resolved the service issue.  You'll need to get in touch if you're still having problems. " 

I'm sorry -  but the engineer admitted just 20 minutes ago that he was unable to solve the issue - so why am I being lied to yet again - and more importantly - why should I be getting in touch if I am still having problems, that TalkTalk admitted that they could not solve????  

TalkTalk this is a farce - and all this evidence will be going directly to Communications Ombudsman.  I really am ready to explode!!!

Does no one have any clue what is going on at this company????

0 Likes

Message 20 of 45

Hi @ellab 

I'm really sorry to hear this and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes