cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

No Internet - Going round in circles with support team

nawtiscali
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

We’ve been with Talktalk for our home internet connection since 2002 (when the service was under the Tiscali umbrella). We’ve had the odd service outage and hiccup over the years but things have always been put right within a couple of days of contacting the support team.

We’re on the TalkTalk ADSL broadband service but have been without an internet connection since Sunday 20th March. On this occasion seem to be going round and round in circles with the web chat support or when telephoning the overseas support team.

I’m not confident what, if anything, is being done to fix the problem so wondered if anybody can offer any advice or help on next steps.

Here’s the story so far.

Monday 21st March
Having performed all the troubleshooting advice from the website (including powering down the router, trying a replacement/different router, swapping out microfilters, swapping out cables between the microfilter and router, bypassing the internal house phone wiring and plugging router into the test socket behind the faceplate of the BT master socket) I started a web chat using my mobile phone internet connection since the telephone support service was unavailable in the evening.

Web chat agent insists we go through all the previous troubleshooting tests whilst performing line test checks in the background. Wanted to know what type of TalkTalk router we were using but we’ve never had a router supplied to us by TalkTalk because 20 years ago when we first signed up for the broadband service with Tiscali you had to supply your own router and hardware.

Web chat goes on for a good few hours during which time the agent focuses on the fact that since we’re out of contract and on the older ADSL service then he could sign us up to a new contract on the latest fibre broadband service which would mean we would no longer have the problems we were experiencing with the old ADSL broadband service. I explained that we really needed to get the existing internet connection up and running before we started to think about moving onto a new contract and the latest fibre service.

Finally after going through all the troubleshooting checks and numerous line tests being run by the web chat agent we get confirmation that the agent thinks there is indeed a fault (outside the house) which will need an BT Openreach engineer to fix.

Great we’ve got the fix on the go so we should be back up and running later in the week… or so I thought.

Friday 25th March
Still no internet as I leave for work in the morning. So once at work login to my TalkTalk account to track the fault progress. Then receive a text from TalkTalk to say that “We’ve tested your broadband line and it looks like its working as it should be but if you are still experiencing issues to visit the service centre”.

Decide to telephone the support team because they’re now open to take calls. Support agent informs me that the web chat agent from the Monday evening had not arranged for an engineer to fix the problem and that whilst they can see details of the web chat and confirmation of the fault they cannot progress the fix (which needs an engineer callout) without going through all the troubleshooting steps again. You need to switch the router off and on… can’t do this because I’m not at home…. but we’ve already done all of this on the Monday evening when the fault was confirmed….. no cannot do anything to arrange the engineer without going through all the tests.... yes the line checks we’ve done this morning show there is a fault but we cannot progress to arranging the engineer until we have done through all the troubleshooting checks... we can call you at home on Monday to do this.... but I'm at work during the week and we've already gone through all the troubleshooting steps numerous times so we know it's not an internal issue at the property.

After an hour of conversation and getting nowhere ask to have the call escalated and finally transferred to one of the managers. Explained the previous events from the webchat on the Monday evening and the fact that we've confirmed that this is an external issue with the Broadband service rather than an internal problem caused by something within the house so can the manager arrange for fault to be raised with BT Openreach so the issue which is probably at the exchange gets sorted.

Manager is running the line tests and says that we can see that there is a fault but "we can't tell exactly where the problem is located from the line tests that we're doing".

Manager says they'll arrange a TalkTalk Cube engineer to visit the house on Saturday morning (26th March) between 08:00 and 13:00. Brilliant I think... the light is on at the end of the tunnel.

Then early afternoon on Friday get a phonecall from the same manager saying that the engineer visit has now been cancelled since the appointment that had been made was no longer available. So what happens now I ask.... an engineer will need to fix the problem which is probably at the local exchange... when will that be.... not sure.... possibly at some point next week.

Then after this phonecall on Friday received a text message saying "We're just checking in after your recent engineer visit and think you may still be experiencing problems with your service. If that's the case we'd like you to check you in home setup".

I suppose what I'm trying to find out is if a fault has definitely been raised with BT Openreach to fix the issue probably at the local exchange which has killed the internet connection?

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Neil

Neil
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

No problem, thanks Neil 🙂

Chris

Message 2 of 14

Just a quick thanks to Chris for his assistance and input today.

Got a telephone call from a member of the support team earlier this afternoon and I now have a confirmed appointment for the start of next week for an Openreach engineer to come out and investigate the problems with the ADSL broadband service.

I'll let you know the outcome of the engineer visit.

Regards,

Neil

Neil

Message 3 of 14

Hi Neil,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

Hi Chris,

I've replied to you PM.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Neil,

I've replied to your PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi Chris,

Just replied to your PM.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

OK, if you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Hi Chris,
Many thanks.
If you can arrange for an Openreach engineer to sort the problem then that would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

OK thanks. I can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like me to do this please let me know and I'll confirm some details with you

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

No the phone service is fine with dial tone and incoming and outgoing calls. 

The neighbours tell me that they did have problems with their phone lines and no dial tone over the last couple of weeks but we don't normally use the house phone for making or receiving calls and our broadband service was working absolutely fine up until last week.

Regards,

Neil

Neil
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, is there a dial tone?

Chris

0 Likes

nawtiscali
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 12 of 14

Hi @Skynet_TX,

Just a quick thank you for your reply.

Fingers crossed the community support team will able to help get things moving.

Neil

Neil

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 13 of 14

Hi @nawtiscali,

The support team here on the community will be back tomorrow, and will be able to look into this for you, they should be able to confirm if an engineer has been booked, and if not they should be able to run some tests and get an appropriate engineer booked for you.