cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Online banking not working with TalkTalk's DNS servers on PC?

DrStrange
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 7

For the last six weeks I have had problems using my Santander online banking at https://retail.santander.co.uk/olb/app/logon/access/#/logon on my PC (Windows 10). I can get logged in which opens my online account at the  balance screen but if I try to do anything else eg use the dropdown in my account to view transactions etc, I get this webpage stating "We're sorry Online Banking isn't available at the moment. We're working to fix the problem as soon as possible." at

https://retail.santander.co.uk/ErrorPages/500.htm Most of the time the browser's back button will not allow me to get back into my account. It remains on this error page.

When this happens, I check Santander's service status page to ensure their online banking is working and it states that it is available as normal.

I have tried different browsers: Edge, Firefox and Chrome and tried another PC, all with same result. However, if I access my account using Santander's mobile Android app using my TalkTalk wifi, I do not get any errors. A few days ago I contacted Santander about this and they advised me to ensure I was not accessing my account using an old bookmark and to clear my cookies. I cleared cookies and logged in at their website, still got this error message. They asked me which browser I was using, which OS I was using and which ISP I use, said they would report this to their IT Dept. I  am waiting on them to get back to me.

Today I was still getting this error so decided to try changing DNS servers in the router from 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80 to Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. I have now logged in and out of my banking account several times on each PC since changing DNS servers and have not once been thrown out of my banking account.

Having read a thread from last month about somebody having problems with their banking account with Cynergy Bank, I remain unconvinced that TalkTalk's DNS servers work without error with my online banking account. I usually turn my router off every night and turn it back on in the morning.

I'd be happy to do any testing if you like, either through the forum or by PM.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Thanks for trying that. Glad to hear it's working again. 

Chris

0 Likes

DrStrange
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 7

Hi Chris,

I restarted the ONT, installed the eero mobile app, and powered up the eero. After connecting, 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80 do not give me any errors when I am logged in to my online banking account.

I deleted my eero profile, turned off the eero, restarted the ONT and powered up the Wi-Fi Hub 2 and switched to 79.79.79.79 and 79.79.79.80. I now find that your DNS nameservers do not give me any errors while I am in my online banking account. I logged in and out of my online banking account several times and checked my other PC. I got no errors.

Before starting this process, I did not login to my online banking account before I switched the Wi-Fi Hub 2 for the eero, so cannot say how this is now working with your DNS nameservers.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

OK thanks for the information. Are you able to test with the eero to see if you experience the same issue with online banking?

Chris

0 Likes

DrStrange
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 7

Hi Chris,

Rather than me explain about Homesafe and My Account, would you like to read the thread I started about it about it here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Security/Why-does-Homesafe-want-me-to-turn-it-off/m-p/3005652#M2...

In summary, when I switched to Full Fibre I received an eero, so My Account is configured for an eero. It didn't have enough ethernet ports so I bought a TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub 2 in 2022 which is recognised by My Account and has been receiving FW updates. My understanding is if your account is configured for a non-eero router, it comes with Homesafe? If your account is configured for an eero router, Homesafe is replaced by Eero Secure? I did have access to Homesafe after I switched to my Hub 2 router but once I turned off all its settings I lost access to it. I did ask in the thread above if my account could be configured for a Hub 2 instead of the eero so I could access Homesafe but I did not receive any further reply from Ady. I also had error messages trying to PM Ady.

So I assume since I did turn off all the settings in Homseafe, it is not enabled. But I do not have access to it to confirm this.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Hi DrStrange,

Do you have HomeSafe enabled, just wondering if this could be causing any problems with the online banking?

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

Having had issues with TalkTalk DNS servers in the past it was suggested to me by the support team on here amongst others to try an alternative and I have used third-party DNS many for years since, my personal preference being a mix of Google and OpenDNS. 

That being said it is incumbent upon TalkTalk to investigate why their servers appear to be failing on certain occasions. 

0 Likes