cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

OpenReach modem dropping internet connection periodically

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 16 of 16

From 2 days ago, the internet has been exhibiting issues.

The OpenReach modem light for internet will turn off resulting in the router losing internet connection also. This happens around every 5-30 minutes for about 20s-40s then starts working again.

The Service Status does not indicate any issues in my area.

Prior to this, the internet has been fine for well over 3 weeks since upgrade.

15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi @harrietbart 

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you create a new topic/thread on the Community, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Can I ask, what did the engineer do to the socket to fix it? I have a G- fast socket and I’m getting drop outs ALL the time on work calls.. I have fibre broadband now rather than superfast as my area no longer supports it. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

That's great news Ricky, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 4 of 16

The engineer came at 8am, took one look and said "you have the wrong socket".

Before, we had a standard one that just said OpenReach but as noted on the new one installed, it says "G.fast" on the socket (see attached below).

Apparently these ones have a specific noise filter for the G.fast service that a standard socket doesn't have which results in the stability drop as the computers from their end would notice the noise instability and reset our connection (he was surprised our internet worked for as long as it did).

He ran standard diagnostics when he came and the line itself seemed fine anyways.

16512175586643603401409152177743.jpg

All is working fine for now, will report back if anything unexpected happens again but fingers crossed, I don't need to come back here 😜

Message 5 of 16

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 6 of 16

Hey Chris

Thanks for booking it, I'll keep this thread posted on the progress

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 16

Hi Ricky,

I've booked the engineer for tomorrow morning - April 29 2022, AM (08:00-13:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi Rickysway,

Thanks for answering the security question. I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 9 of 16

Hey Chris

As per the PM, I accept engineering charges and am available for AM and PM on all the weekdays.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi rickysway,

If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit can you please confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some other details

Chris

0 Likes

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 11 of 16

Having an engineer visit sounds good as I am currently work from home for my job and the drops in internet connection is having an impact on my job

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. If the connection is still dropping directly at the Openreach modem then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 13 of 16

20220427_142443.jpgFor the sake of testing, I have reverted back to the Hub which again, exhibits the issues of dropped connections periodically. 

0 Likes

rickysway
Participant
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

When we originally had the TalkTalk Hub, we found it had issues keeping connectivity for all 9 devices in our house at a given time so we installed a ASUS RT-AX86U router which worked for our connectivity needs.

Since the upgrade a month ago, we hit the same issue in that all our devices could not connect to the TalkTalk Hub at the same time (2 or 3 of our devices would simply sit in a "no Internet connection" state) so we switched back to using the ASUS router (keeping the OpenReach modem)

This configuration has worked without issue for the past month until 2 days ago when the modem would simply "lose internet"

20220427_135538.jpg

20220427_135522.jpg

Whilst the internet was down I had to mobile hotspot from my phone but the website indicated my homes internet was fine (despite the modem not having internet)

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 16

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line. Have you made any changes to the set up or added any new equipment to the line since the engineer set this up please?

Thanks

0 Likes