cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

PPTP VPN (Outbound) stopped working

Vacantmind
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 23 of 23

Hello,

I use a PPTP VPN to connect to work, on Wednesday this week (01.12.21) the internet connection was not working in my home. I ended up factory resetting the router and 10 minutes later the internet connection was back up.

BUT, since then I have not been able to connect to the PPTP VPN at work, so I have tried the following....

Three Windows based devices in my home - no connection
I deployed a new Windows Server 2019 PPTP VPN server at work, tested the VPN connection at home - no connection
Deployed an AWS Windows instance, connected to this configured it to connect to my work VPN - This worked
Conclusion... External to my home this PPTN VPN works without issue / it is not a device specific issue as I have tested on three different Windows devices. I have a feeling a firmware update (or similar) has stopped my router from allowing the PPTP VPN connection from working.

Router is - Sagemcom FAST5364 3.00

Please advise as this is getting a bit urgent now.

Many Thanks

Leon

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

Message 1 of 23

I’ve been having exactly the same problem with my main work VPN since 8th December. I have another VPN that I use that uses IPsec which is fine but the one I need uses PPTP. I’ve tried connecting using multiple machines but I found I can only connect to my VPN using another router/ISP. Please help.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

Hi Leon

Please can you return the router you were previously using (the one you were experiencing a fault with)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 3 of 23

Hi Debbie,

I have received an email asking me to return the old router or get charged £50. I am opting for returning the router, but on the email I have been asked to return a router with a specific serial number and this does not match the router I have to send back.

If I return the router I actually have will I still get charged? 

Many Thanks

Leon

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Hi Leon

That's great news, I'm so glad to hear this 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

PPTP VPN now working again!!

Thanks Debbie you're a star 👍

Message 6 of 23
0 Likes

Message 7 of 23

Thanks Debbie, I will try this and update as soon as I can.

Many Thanks

Leon

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Hi Leon

That's the correct router, the Huawei WIFI hub 🙂

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

Device version: DG8041W-2.T5

Thanks

Leon

Message 10 of 23

Hi Leon

Both WIFI hubs look similar, you should have received a Huawei WIFI hub. What does it say on the label?

0 Likes

Message 11 of 23

Saying that... to the eye they look the same but I think they are different.

Will await your response

Cheers

Leon

Message 12 of 23

Hi Debbie

The new router has arrived but before I unbox it I need to check I have received the correct one as its the same as what I already have. Should I continue to test with it?

Kind Regards

Leon

0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

I'll do that. Thanks Debbie

Message 14 of 23

Hi evanskinner

Please can you create a new topic on the Community, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

evanskinner
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 23

Hello,

I have just hit the exact same issue on an almost identical router. A few weeks ago the PPTP connection was working just fine. I've made not any network changes. My router is Sagemcom FAST 5364-3.T8. From both PCs in the house PPTP connections to external server no longer work. The conenction validates the login credentials fine, but then fails to connect. Event viewer shows error code 619.

Can you suggest a solution please. Has some recent updated killed PPTP connectivity on the Sagemcom FAST 5364-3 routers?

Thanks,

Evan.

0 Likes

Message 16 of 23

Hi Leon

Ahh you're welcome 🙂 You too 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Vacantmind
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 17 of 23

Really appreciate your help Debbie, will keep you posted!

Have a great day!!!

Message 18 of 23

Hi Leon

The Huawei hub is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie 🙂

0 Likes

Vacantmind
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 23

Hi Debbie,

Sounds good to me!

Regards

Message 20 of 23

Hi Leon

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I think we should send a Huawei WIFI hub for testing, are you happy for me to arrange this?

Debbie

0 Likes