cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor Broadband Speed

CarlSteSpen
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

Hi, 

I have run a few speed tests over the past week and the results always come back as "poor"

averaging around 26Mbps, which is around half of what is guaranteed.
Speed to the router is 64Mbps so we can rule that out, and I have done a couple of reboots of the router, but that doesn't improve matters. 

I also did a telephone line test last week, which said there could be a possible line fault. I checked again this evening, the report said fault had been fixed, but on running a new test, I get the same "possible line fault" again. 

Considering prices are increasing again, I'd like to get something near the speed I'm paying for!

Thanks, 

Carl. 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

A line test is showing a loop fault near to your socket.  These type of faults may or may not be service affecting, so check your phone line for any noise or crackles and see if there are any issues with the broadband, dropping connection etc.

This type of fault that the test has detected can be caused by a faulty filter, or even two of the little copper prongs in the socket close or touching, had this myself once, and fully unplugging everything and then reconnecting cleared it, so always worth checking ell the connections at the phone socket are seated correctly.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi Michelle, 

My speed is great thank you. As I mentioned to Skynet last night it turned out to be my laptop that is the problem. 

There still appears to be a line fault though (REP-12592194) I don't know if you can investigate this for me please or pass it on to the relevant department?

Thanks, 

Carl.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. How are your speeds at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi Skynet,

I feel a fool now! I have been running the test on my aging laptop. The same test on my 'phone reports 60mbps!

So let's forget I ever complained about this! 

However there is still the possible line fault...

Thank you, 

Carl. 

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi @CarlSteSpen,

Are you running the speed tests from devices connected wired or wireless ?

The support team here will be back tomorrow, and will be able to check for any fault on your line.

If the speed to your router is good, but speed tests on a wired device are poor, then have your tried switching the router off for over 30 minutes, this will reset your session and can sometimes help.

0 Likes