cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor connection to ring doorbell

Cosmo
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 21 of 21

Hi,

The connection between the router and my new ring doorbell is really poor, it reads RSSI-74 and the live view is very erratic, the white light on my router is dim and not sure if this is relevant to the problem. I’ve moved the router to the nearest point to the door but it doesn’t make any difference. Any advice would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Hi

optimisation is now turned off.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Thanks again Chris ,

I think it seems that is the best option, at the moment so go ahead and I will attempt to change the channel at a later date. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Disabling it will just stop it automatically changing your channel, the channel will just remain the same unless you manually change it of reboot the router. If I don't disable it then when you change the channel, optimisation will probably change it back again shortly after - would you like me to go ahead?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Thanks for you patience Chris,

If it doesn’t interfere with my settings would this be the best option and I assume disabling it  wont have any effect if I revert back to the original channel. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

There's instruction here explaining how to change wifi channels - Change your wireless channel - TalkTalk Help & Support

Would you like me to disable wifi optimisation? This will just stop the router automatically changing your wifi channel once you've changed it

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Ok thanks Chris,

What is the procedure as I don’t want to mess up my settings. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 21

OK thanks. All I can really suggest is trying different wifi channels to see if you can get one with a better signal

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

No radiator, the lead to the router is at it’s maximum length to about 1/2 metre from the end of my internal wall, the only obstruction would be a lounge door and the front door. Hope this helps. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 21

OK thanks. Are there any metal objects between the router and the doorbell, such as a radiator?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Thanks Chris,

I think I’ve misread your comment on changing WI Fi channels, it was a reset on the Ring doorbell, so I don’t feel confident enough to change the router channel.

As an update I reset the doorbell indoors and the RSSI decreased to -45 so I guess the signal isn’t strong enough to reach outside. 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

We can always enable it again but it's up to you if you'd like to try it or not, it just allows you to select your own wifi channel without optimisation interfering 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Not sure what the implications would be as I don’t want to lose the good connections with my other devices which might lead to more complications. 

0 Likes

Cosmo
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 13 of 21

Not sure what the implications are as I don’t want to lose the good connections with other devices and if it leads to more problems. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

I could try disabling wifi optimisation, this will stop the router automatically changing channels and allow you to try different channels - would you like to give this a try?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Thanks Chris , tried but no difference. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Have you tried changing the wifi channel?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

No it’s not close to any that could cause interference. 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

OK thanks. Is the router situated close to other devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi Chris,

Approximately 3 metres away from where the bell is mounted and only one wall. Hope this helps. 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi Cosmo,

Approximately how far is the doorbell from the router? How many walls are there between the router and the doorbell?

Chris

0 Likes