cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Poor download speed

stebbit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 14

TalkTalk sent me a replacement router (Wi-Fi Hub Black) which I installed a week ago. However download speed is still stuck at 48 Mbps (contract is Fibre 65) although the router reports maximum download rate is 87 Mbps.

I did try turning the router off for an hour but it reconnected at the same level.

I wonder if TalkTalk reduced my speed when I was having problems previously? If so, I would like them to remove the cap that the router can reconnect at a higher speed.

Stebbit
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Labrat,

If you need assistance can you please start your own thread and we'll be happy to help

Chris

Message 2 of 14

I changed to Fibre 65 from my old package that averaged at around 37mbps. When I checked this morning it said the speed to the router was only 42mbps, yet the speed to my PC was 46mbps (work that one out). I tried all the suggestions, such as turning the router off for 10 seconds and changing channels (since changed back to Auto), but this only made things very much worse (down to17mbps at one point). I was told I wouldn't need a new router and I'm assuming that micro-filters either work or they don't - I threw away about ten of them when I moved house. I now seem to be stuck at between 38 and 40mbps, which is worse than when I first tested the line. I made sure that no other devices were switched on, although I've tested using my two separate PCs. Switching between ethernet and wi-fi makes only atiny difference in speed.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hello,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

stebbit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 4 of 14

Hello Michelle,

The download speed reported by the router is 72 Mbps, a big improvement on the previous 48 Mbps.

It looks like everything is fine, thanks for your help.

Stebbit
0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see that the sync speed has increased. How have you found the speed?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hello,

Ok thank you for confirming. I will check the connection stats again on Monday morning to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed now that the router is connected to the test socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

stebbit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 7 of 14

Hello Michelle, 

I've connected everything to the test socket as requested, so it's all ready for the DLM.

Thanks

Stebbit
0 Likes

Message 8 of 14

Morning,

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Does the main socket have a test socket? If it does then if possible please can you connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket for at least 48hrs so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

@Sam Brasnett, please stick to your own thread  - staff have yet to reach this one and each post will delay its progress in the queue for attention. 

Your own topic received a response from staff, here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Erratic-Broadband-Speed/m-p/2839671

You need to follow that up!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Sam Brasnett
Participant
Private Message
Message 10 of 14

I'm having a similar issue, the router says the download speeds coming into it are about 80mbps but when you do actual speedtests even in the best cases where I've turned WiFi off and connected via ethernet I only see about 25-40mbps. It's so frustrating because before I consistently always got speed test results of like 75mbps even on WiFi with other devices connected. It has to be an issue in the routers firmware or something.

0 Likes

stebbit
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 14

The speeds I quote are from the router, BT speedtest shows 46 Mbps to my ethernet-connected PC.  I am 100 metres from the cabinet and 500 metres from the telephone exchange so distance is not the problem.

Stebbit
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 14

@stebbit Fibre 65 is just the name of the package, your actual speeds will depend chiefly on distance from the cabinet and quality of the line.

Where are you getting your number from, sync speed on the router, or speed tests? If the latter, is that wired, or wireless? 

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 14

Hi @stebbit I've been having similar issues, done all the right  things and whilst things didn't improve they didn't deteriorate. To my surprise 10 days later things  started to improve and now I'm seeing 10% improvement. I can only say stick with it, the team here will check things out for you and you should hear during tomorrow. 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes