cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Port forwarding

Studiosoft
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 22 of 22

I am trying to set up port forwarding on a Huawei HG633.

I have followed the user guide and believe I have the settings correct yet I cannot make an FTP connection.

I have seen other people having similar problems with Talktalk routers, is this a known issue with this model?

Website designer
0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Message 1 of 22
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 22

Glad to hear it. You did not waste my time at all, I really enjoy getting involved in complex issues.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Studiosoft
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your help yesterday, we have managed to get it sorted. There was a conflict on port 21 which was blocking the connection. Changing to port 22 has solved the issue.

Website designer
0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

I do hope I am not wasting your time with this.

As I mentioned, I am new to port forwarding and I have always felt that FTP Server is the wrong setting  to use so it may save time if I clarify a few things about our intentions.

The Raspbery pi will be at a remote location and we intend to FTP files to it from our office.

I use ssh to communicate with the Pi and it is operating in kiosk mode without access to the desktop.

I always felt that the mode set in Filezilla should be some kind of ssh.

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 22

Just saw another thing on a quick Goggle search about the pi OS, it does have a firewall, called iptables, please can you check if this is installed?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 22

The trouble is, that most FTP servers require configuration before they can be used. This may well be why it may not have port 21 open on the correct interface.

In the meantime, please can you try running this command on your pi from a terminal or command prompt or whatever the pi has. Then get me the output from it:-

netstat --listen

If you want, PM it to me.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 7 of 22

"what FTP server are you using on the pi?"

I don't know, the Pi is running Apache server but I am not sure if there is an FTP server running on there.

Our aim is to be able to FTP files to the Pi over WiFi at a remote location.

I need to check with my colleague who may be able to answer your question.

This is all new to me and the documentation available is poor to say the least.

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 22

Let me rephrase that last question - what FTP server are you using on the pi? Only then can I try to tell you where to check what interface the FTP server is listening on.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 22

The Pi is on the wifi from the HG633, I can ssh to it from a Linux computer on the same router.

"Is the FTP server FileZilla or is that just the client?"

We are trying to access the Pi as a remote server in Filezilla.  Does that make sense?

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 22

So the pi does not connect directly to the wireless of the HG633 then, or can you explain your answer to #2 in more detail, please? Is the FTP server FileZilla or is that just the client?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 22

1. DHCP - I can access the pi via ssh on that IP.

2. Wireless - I have full access from a host computer

3. How would I test which interface it is listening on?

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 22

Yes, port 21 closed is the issue, stick with the port checking website until we can get it to report as open. The port forwarding in the router is correct for that port. A few more questions then:-

1. How does the pi get its IP address, via DHCP from the router or is it manually configured on the raspberry?
  2. I assume it connects to the HG633's wireless and not via an extender or similar?
  3. Is the FTP server listening on the correct interface when you test it?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 13 of 22

Yes the server is on a Pi

No firewall as far as I know

Port 21 is closed - I presume that is the issue

I have tried from a local machine and another dev has tried from another location

I am new to this port forwarding although the other chap has some experience with it, I do appreciate your help with this.

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 22

Thanks for that, this will mean that the data channel is originated from the client to the server, using the TCP port that the server tells the client to use (could be any port). This means that you may need another port forwarding application configured for that. However, before going down that route, a few more basics:-

1. I am assuming that the FTP server is on the local device, which looks like a pi?
  2. Does the pi have a firewall running & if so, have you allowed an inbound rule for TCP port 21?
  3. With the FTP server running and you go to a port checking website such as https://portchecker.co/ does TCP port 21 report as open?
  4. Are you trying to test the FTP access from a client that is also locally connected to your router?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 15 of 22

It is set to passive

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 22

No, the FTP mode is either Passive or Active & will determine the direction that the data channel is setup in, which mode is the connection negotiating? If in doubt, PM the main activity window of FileZilla server or log the FileZilla client to a file & PM me the contents of that.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 17 of 22

I have tried both plain and SFTP - I am using Filezilla

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 22

That is a start, what FTP mode is the client/server using?

Keith

0 Likes

Studiosoft
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 19 of 22

Hi Keith

Screenshot from 2022-07-01 14-55-09.png

Screenshot from 2022-07-01 14-53-40.png

  

Are these the screen shots you require

Website designer
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Hi @Studiosoft 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you. There is no known issue with the HG633 & FTP port forwarding. If you would like to describe your scenario to me in as much detail as possible & include the port mapping & application screenshots so I can check them for you.

Keith

0 Likes