cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Random internet dropouts.

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 22

For the last few weeks I have random BB dropouts. They normally  only last a few minutes and can be several times  in an hour, annoying when streaming and playing games.

During dropout wifi signal is good and says " connected without internet".

I have contacted talktalk help via chat 4 times now and all they do is test line, change channel and reset router.

Anyone here suggest what to do next to fix this.

Thanks

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 22

No, look at the two articles I mentioned where it explains this.

Take channel 11 for example, it does not just use channel 11 at all. It needs to use by default 20MHz of bandwidth and each channel is 5MHz wide. So channel 11 goes from the midpoint between channels 8 & 9 to the midpoint between  channels 13 & 14:-

Channels used when channel 11 selected with 20MHz bandwidthChannels used when channel 11 selected with 20MHz bandwidth

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 22

Ok. I will change to 11.

So if channel 6 and 11 are very congested is it not better to use one in between ?.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 22

Hi @bytes 

Whilst channel 10 might seem to be a good idea, unless you are in the middle of a field, you should only ever use one of these channels in the 2.4GHz band:-

1, 6 or 11

That is because these are classed as the only non-overlapping channels. Please don't take my word for this, it is covered in these articles:-

http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

http://boundless.aerohive.com/experts/WLAN-Channels-Explained.html

There are some routers that support channels 12 & 13 within the 2.4GHz band. However, these channels should not be used because they interfere with channel 11 (not 5 channels apart from 11) and not all devices support these two channels anyway.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 22

Hi bytes

That's great, thanks for letting us know 🙂

I've sent you a Private Message with a link to a short survey for the Community.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 22

Hi Keith, 

I think it is resolved. No lissues in past few days. 

I changed 2.4 channel to 10 which seemed least congested and main mobile  devices are running on 5ghz with smart devices on 2.4ghz.

Maybe the using only 2.4ghz band was overloading it.

I now need to relocate hub so 5ghz signal reaches whole house.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 22

Hi @bytes 

How are you getting on, do you still need help with this?

Thanks @KeithFrench 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 22

Hi @bytes 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots to me in a PM (to protect your privacy), which I have requested in my guide. No photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed in, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this puts the text out of focus. 

Keith

Message 8 of 22

Hi bytes

I have switched the WIFI optimisation off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks @KeithFrench 

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 22

I'll ask TT to disable WiFi optimisation for you then.

Keith

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 22

Hi Keith  I have done a factory reset and kept the 5ghz band on.

Can you disable wifi optimisation please so further tweaks can be done to find issue.

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 22

Hi @bytes 

Normally, a WiFi network behaving in the manner that you have described is caused by poor WiFi reception, which may or may not be caused by interference to start with. You should not see things like an adapter keep switching between bands, I have never experienced that at all. I have seen situations where people have had problems with an adapter using the 2.4GHz band when it should be using the 5GHz one, though.

The fact that it has only started causing a problem in the last few weeks again points to WiFi interference. Levels of this can change by the minute, but in your case, it is probably more likely that a nearby router has started using a channel that interferes with yours, again most prevalent in the 2.4Ghz band.

The first thing to do is to do a factory reset of the router's config. This is due to a bug in the current firmware, V174 where re-enabling a WiFi band causes it not to work as it should. This is the only workaround at the moment. It is important to do this first, as one of the implications of this, is it will also re-enable Wi-Fi Optimisation.

I said in my previous post, that to get WiFi optimisation disabled, just request TalkTalk do this for you in your reply. You cannot disable it yourself.

Keith

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 22

Strange this issue only started a few weeks ago with no changes in the house.

Could it be a router fault ?

I will enable 5ghz and see how it goes.

I want to get the optimisation disabled, how exactly do i do this?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 22

You do realise that this will give you a much slower speed and that this band? Whilst technically the 2.4GHz band has the longer range, it suffers far more with WiFi interference than the 5GHz band. Devices should not keep switching between bands unless you get the same interference of course.

I think that WiFi interference is your problem anyway.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364/5464 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

In other words, I try to help you optimise your Wi-Fi connection. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 22

Yes. I have turned off 5ghz as I prefer range over speed.

Also I didnt want devices constantly switching between the 2 bands.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 22

Hi @bytes 

First off, all of these devices that are disconnecting and reconnecting are on the 2.4GHz band & not the 5GHz. Is this what you would expect?

Keith

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 22

oops sorry got wrong time

Screenshot_20240324-112312_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-112324_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-112357_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-112414_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-112435_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 22

Screenshot_20240324-111026_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-111107_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240324-111159_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 22

Please can you get me the router's log for these time periods?

Log into the router & click on any of the initial buttons, then click on Advanced settings down the bottom of the page.

In there click on TalkTalk wiFi Hub followed by Maintenance and finally Logs.

Keith

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 22

I just had BB dropout today 22:00 for about 5mins. This time the wifi signal was lost on at least 3 devices. The modem light stayed white during this whole time. 

Other times I have seen wifi signal present but no internet. Not sure about modem lighht during this.

0 Likes

bytes
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 22

Hi Keith,

I have the Sagemcom super router.

I think light is orange when dropout is long and stays white if dropout is a muite or so.

I'll check again next few time it happens.

I dont have wired connections.

0 Likes