cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router, after a storm.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 18

Noticing more frequent disconnections since a violent storm in Cambridge on Thursday 4th April before 6am. People saw a fire ball hitting a tree, and it felt like a bomb.

It knocked out all my sockets, but basic power recovered with a flick of a switch in the fuse box.

This is just a heads up. I'll be coming and going for holidays and family visits, so will have the router off most of the time, for a while.

I'll then see whether it's recovered fully after a rest and report back. It will probably need keeping an eye on. Hope there's no other damage causing the disconnections....!

Fortunately the router has a surge-protected socket that it is plugged into. Many neighbours are talking about insurance claims for stuff getting damaged.

Will follow up on this thread if it continues to be a problem. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

The router arrived safely yesterday, @Chris-TalkTalk.

I have not yet had a moment to plug it in, so still using the old one.

Thought this might be worth mentioning: I am currently using two smartphones  (no computer plugged in as it hasn't got WiFi and there's no phone line to it upstairs now).

I am getting the No Internet message on the older phone right now, but am connected perfectly well on my new one.

Even basic Fast Broadband should manage WiFi to 2 phones at once!

What is actually going on there, and is this actually the fault we thought it was or something different causing this?

Can't remember if both phones lost the signal at the same time before - just happen to have them side by side at the moment. 

It has happened on the new phone other times, so not to do with their age / software. 

Usually it came back after a few seconds. 

This time I also had to switch off WiFi at the old phone and on again in settings. Otherwise it simply wasn't coming back on by itself.

Hope that the new router doesn't behave similarly  - I will probably need time to check it for behaviour for a few days once set up!

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi Gliwmaeden,

The router was dispatched on the 26th. I've PM'd you the tracking number

Chris

Message 3 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalk, do you have a tracking number for the router that's on its way?

Am back home again, and this evening (Sunday) I was right beside the router when the internet dropped with the current Sagemcom.

So it means it's happening PM as well as morning. 

The light on the router remained white.

I got the "connected without Internet" message under my settings.

But the page that I couldn't reach at the time gave me the error message:

No Internet 

Try ..... etc

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET, 28th April.

It remained off until I switched off WiFi in settings and reconnected when I clicked it on again. 

Annoying that it's the sort of error that you don't appear to see at your end, as the internet is effectively unusable at these times, from the customer's point of view!

Google searches do seem to blame the router in these situations, so it must have suffered some damage in the lightning strike. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 18

Hi Gliwmaeden2

I've just ordered this now (no tracking number showing yet)

I think this will be delivered Monday.

Thanks

Message 5 of 18

Can you avoid it being delivered over the weekend?

Away rehearsing.

Any weekday fine, if there's a tracking number. 

Thanks!

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

It might be a good idea.

Message 8 of 18

Thanks. Will see how I get on.

This didn't happen with this router prior to the area getting hit by a lightning bolt!

0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi Gliwmaeden2

That will be when I optimised the connection (the last drop sorry)

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

It dropped again for about half a minute again right now, so I don't understand why you don't see this, @Debbie-TalkTalk.

I was right beside the router just now and it was slowly flashing orange. 

You should have a record of that!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Gliwmaeden2

I can see two re connections on 22/04. There have been no drops since this date.

The SNR is dropping slightly low so I have reset DLM and optimised the connection. The SNR has increased slightly.

Please can you monitor this over the weekend and let us know how the connection compares?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

It's just happened again. 4 times within the hour that I have been aware of. Getting worrying. 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Thanks, @Chris-TalkTalk, @Debbie-TalkTalk.

I've been back for a week and begun noticing little drop outs.

So far very short, but I will be giving a lesson online later this evening and will see if it's affecting the connection then.

This morning there were 2 drop outs, very brief, in quick succession within the past hour.

The dropouts I noticed earlier in the month were also in the morning. 

There was another one right now.

They are very short or up to c 30 seconds but could become a real nuisance for banking. 

Could you check what's been going on from your end?

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

OK, no problem Gliwmaeden2, just let us know if you need any assistance

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Back briefly this week, but best checking once I am in a more normal routine. I'll just revive the thread then if need be.

Just thought it was worth reporting at this stage so as to keep track of when it happened. 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 18

Hi Gliwmaeden2

I'm sorry to hear this. This sounds very scary, hope your neighbours are ok too.

If you are experiencing any issues with the router or line please let me know and I will take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 18

Hi @Gliwmaeden2 

That must have been scary! From what you said, it does sound like you got off better than your neighbours. Don't forget if you have the cheaper surge protectors, they work, but only once. After that, they are nothing more than a normal extension lead or similar, so it is not obvious that they need replacing.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?