cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router doesn't save settings

Captslog
Team Player
Private Message
Message 44 of 44

Hi,

I have the Fast 5364 type router and when I use the Admin function to alter the settings, these don't stay as I left them.  The next time I come to have a look, they've reverted to default.

Each time I log out of the router page, I get a message saying...

Logging out of your Wi-Fi Hub?

Be sure to save changes to your settings first.

And the options are YES or Cancel.

So, how do I save the changes, please?

The reason I'm altering these settings is to try and establish what keeps bringing my speed down.  After weeks and weeks of messing about, two engineer visits, new router and countless hours, I'm back to 11 DOWN and 0.5 UP.  For a little while I was getting 30 D and 7 UP which was fine, But there seems to be something about my home set-up the DLM doesn't like, I think.

0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 21 of 44

Hi Captslog

This would be an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 22 of 44

Hi Debbie,

Can you tell me which type of engineer visit I can expect, please?  I would expect this is OpenReach?

Thanks

Message 23 of 44

Hi Captslog

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 24 of 44

Hi,

I kind of gave up on this in May, the speeds were way down on what I should be getting but I thought I could live with them.

However, I think the recent hot weather has caused the telephone line to sag to the point it was always touching the neighbours roof and the wind has rubbed the cable on the roof causing damage.  A bit of damp will make my speeds drop way down  I'm getting a download as little as 7 and uploads measuring 0.15.  This is not usable.

Combined with the above, the internet has started to drop out completely if the phone is in use at the same time.   There is a lot of noise on the phone line, it's getting tricky to here what people are saying.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get an engineer to have a look. 

Please can you sort this?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 44

OK thanks, if you experience the same issue with two different routers then the only option we really have is to arrange an engineer visit.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 44

No, I don't have a second router to test with

Also, this one is less than a month old.  The previous one was diagnosed not working by the Openreach guy, the white lights didn't come on and so you couldn't tell if it was syncing.  The speed didn't alter when I put the new router on.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 44

Hi Captslog,

Thanks for the information

Just to confirm, have you tested with a second router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 28 of 44

Hi Chris,

An engineer visit is fine in principle, but I'm not sure what they're going to find that they haven't found on the last two visits. 

With respect, and not wishing to appear churlish, what i don't want is for the engineer to visit, plug his device into the socket, tell me the line is fine and then I'm left arguing a £65 call out charge, (again).

Today I have a download  15/17Mbps and upload of 0.3 and these are the sorts of speeds I've had since March 22nd.  I'd love to know how the router reports speeds of 32 when I log into it, but I can only get 17 anywhere in the house either wired or wireless.  If there's a technical explanation, please tell me, there might be some change I can make.

It's clear something is wrong, and whilst I do things which improve the speed by small amounts temporarily, it's just as bad a few days later.  I'm frustrated and fed up with this.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 44

As the speed is still a bit low we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 30 of 44

Yes, just the one.  It's next to the router and PC.

0 Likes

Message 31 of 44

Thanks for the information, do you just have the one telephone socket in your home?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 32 of 44

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

This morning I tried changing connections to the test socket whilst Mrs Slog made numerous calls from down the garden. 

In short, it appears that the front plate of the NTE5c Mk4 is not well.

Telephone to front plate, crackles on the line.

Telephone to test socket, much better, not so crackly.

Telephone to test socket via one of those in-line microfilters, very clear.

I'm now using the latter as above with the internet plugged in, and I have higher but very variable speeds, and by variable I mean they are all over the place during the test.

I realised that my latest speed issues coincided with rain last week, after it'd been dry for ages and I think I might have found an underlying issue...
DSC_3075_2.JPGDSC_3076_2.JPG

The two photos are where the line to my house crosses the neighbour's roof (views from upstairs and loft windows, zoomed in). 

There's just a couple of centimetres clearance and this would disappear if the line is heavier due to water, or even if a bird sat on it!

Several years ago, an engineer had to tighten this line because it was touching the roof, I'm guessing that the outer is worn away from that contact.  I don't think it was replaced.

0 Likes

Message 33 of 44

Hi Captslog,

As ferguson requested, could you please test at the test socket and let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 44

Do you have a test socket at your master socket? If so try connecting just your phone there and see if the noise persists. We can then take it from there.

0 Likes

Captslog
Team Player
Private Message
Message 35 of 44

Well, 3 hours later and I'm back to 11.5 down and 0.5 up, which is just ridiculous.  

Yes I get a noisy phone line sometimes, but I put that down to poor cordless reception

0 Likes

Message 36 of 44

Thanks for trying that, glad to hear your speed has improved. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 37 of 44

Hi,

I switched of the router for 30 minutes, and when it powered back again I got 30.30 down and 3.86 up. (30.24 and 3.85 second go).

This is great of course, but why is this happening and is this something I'll keep having to do?  And it's a good way adrift of 35.

Cheers

0 Likes

Message 38 of 44

Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest. Please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 39 of 44

Hi Chris,

I'm fine thanks, the broadband though, is not.  

Despite you being able to see 29Mbps, as I write this the speed is 22 down and 0.45 up.  That down figure is better than yesterday when it was only 12 at times and the slow upload makes it very difficult to share files such as photos.

I'd really like to know what is the cause of this because it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I've tried disconnecting devices, but as most of them are not in use anyway (connected but idle), it's hard to see how that will make a difference.

I have this PC, wired connection.

Samsung TV, wired.

Alexa,  wifi 

Second PC, wifi

Mrs Slogs mobile phone, wifi

Of all of the above, the only device in use now is this PC, and the others are effectively "off" if that has a meaning when they are in standby or in sleep mode.  From that I have to conclude that the PC is the fault, and that is difficult to eliminate, and hard to believe that it 'half works'.  I've updated drivers for the internet adaptor, new cables all seated correctly etc,  

0 Likes

Message 40 of 44

Hi Captslog,

How are you getting on? Line test is passing and your router is currently in sync at 29Mbps

Chris

0 Likes