cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router not responding

arhharris
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 37

Hi, I have a WiFi Hub router.  Had it for several years with no issues.  On Tue at around 7pm the light started flashing orange and we lost both WiFi from the router and Inernet connectivity (even to a PC plugged directly in over ethernet).  I switched it off for a few mins and back on but didn't fix either issue.  I used the talktalk troubleshooting guide and performed a full reset, left it 20mins, etc, etc. and still no change. Flashing orange light. No WiFi. No Internet.

I'm unable to get the web portal page when I connect to it over ethernet (i.e., http://192.168.1.1), which has always worked fine in the past.

I spoke to TalkTalk and they want to send an engineer round to check the line.  I explained that I didn't think it was the line, as the router itslef had stopped responding. But they booked an engineer to come over on Monday (30th Oct).  There is a case open: REP-14795301.

I borrowed an old TalkTalk router and plugged it in, using exactly the same cables as the WiFi Hub was using and got Internet connectivity with no problem.  Hence I know the line is working fine.

Do I still need an engineer to come over on Monday, or could TalkTalk just send a replacement router instead? 

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

Message 1 of 37

Hi

OK, leave the router at the test socket for a couple of days and see if this improves.

Estimated upload for your service is around 17-18mb, so it may not achieve more than this.  I've had a look at the profile that is currently set, and this is correctly set at 20mb.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 37

No it's not. I'll reconnect it and leave it for a few days. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 37

Morning,

Thanks for the update. Is the router still connected to the test socket at the moment as it can take a few days for DLM to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 37

Hi Talk Talk support, I switched off the router for 30 mins and plugged it into the test socket, but unformtunately still getting around 16Mbps upload rather than the 20Mbps.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 37

Morning,

How are you getting on? Would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 6 of 37

Hi arhharris

"The router is plugged into the regular socket.  Same one we've used for years."

Do you have a test socket?

Would it be possible to connect at the test socket? (just for testing purposes)

0 Likes

Message 7 of 37

The router is plugged into the regular socket.  Same one we've used for years.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 37

Morning,

Thanks for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats now and the line test is clear. Is the router currently connected to the test socket? Is this causing any issues with the overall performance of the connection?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 37

Hi.  I switched the router off for a couple of hours but it's not made a huge difference.  Upload sync speed is 16.7Mbps.

Not that I checked all that often, but I'm pretty sure we used to get a solid 20Mbps upload with the previous router.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 37

Morning,

How has your connection been over the last 48hrs?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 11 of 37

Hi arhharris,

Current upstream sync speed is 16.5Mbps. Line test is passing. You could try switching the router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. This may result in the upstream sync speed improving

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 37

Hi @arhharris 

I will ask TalkTalk now to check the line for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

Hi @KeithFrench, my VPN does use IKEv2/IPSec, but it's not essential I use VPN. Can work fine without.

Feel free to add me to the list to get firmware V202 as and when the rollout continues, and I'll confirm whether that helps fix the log-out issue.

By the way, I'm still not getting the full 20Mpbs upload speed (currently 16.5).  Do you know if this is due to the new router adjusting, or is there an issue with my line?

Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 37

Hi @arhharris 

It seems that the rollout of V202 has been paused while these issues are investigated.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 37

Yes, @arhharris it would seem to be the case. The TalkTalk Devices team are investigating. Does your VPN use the IKEv2/IPSec VPN protocol as that is what is affected in V202.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 16 of 37

Hi @KeithFrench, more than happy to try the v.202 firmware.

1. On occasion, using Palo Global Protect.  Mostly not though. 

2. Yes, but we get OK 5G coverage so not strictly needed.

Does the new firmware have known issues with these services?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 17 of 37

As I mentioned in my previous response to you, I have my own thread.

With regard to the update to firmware SG4K100202, see:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Latest-Firmware-for-Sagemcom-5364/m-p/3068086#M28042

With regard to whether I currently have need for VPN or WiFi calling, see my further comment on that thread:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Latest-Firmware-for-Sagemcom-5364/m-p/3068091#M28044

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 37

Hi @arhharris 

Would you like to try V202 firmware on your router to fix the unresponsive UI? If so, please answer these two questions:-

1. Do you use a VPN, if so which one?
  2. Do you use WiFi Calling?

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 37

Hi @Anonymous 

The point I was asked to comment on by TalkTalk was about the missing hardware version in Device Info, not the state of the UI.

I did comment on the UI, because of an earlier comment made by this customer.

The UI can be a bit unresponsive in all firmware up to & including V174, which I did put in an earlier post. This is a bug I reported a while ago & the fix for that is the very new firmware V202, which is not yet on general release. If TalkTalk updates the firmware on the OP's router, you have two choices. Either you create your own thread and request V202 (it will not be updated unless you do have your own thread). Alternatively, you just wait for it to be rolled out, whenever that starts.

However, I have two questions for you first:-

1. Do you use a VPN, if so which one?
  2. Do you use WiFi Calling?

Keith

0 Likes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 37

I think you are missing the point of the comment I posted. I have explained why I posted the comment. As a reminder here is my explanation again:

The reason that I have made this comment on this thread is to show that this fault is not a one-off, but may to be related to the hardware/firmware build, as I have the same hardware and firmware as  arhharris.

I have already referred to the issue in a thread of my own here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Latest-Firmware-for-Sagemcom-5364/m-p/3068086#M28042

but also felt it made sense to post a comment here, especially as the comment in my own thread received no response.

I do not feel the need to create another separate post, when I can observe the response to this one.

I have been a customer of TalkTalk and a member of this community in the past, so I am familiar with the requirement to create a separate thread, when that is appropriate. On this occasion, I do not feel there is a need. To me it makes no sense to create another thread, only for the TalkTalk members to provide a response to the exact same issue about router firmware on two separate threads. If it were the exact same issue, but account related, e.g. I have not received my voucher, then a separate thread would be appropriate. Others may see it differently.

0 Likes