cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router password change with poor advice from TT

Tink E R Bell
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

Attempted to change Router password, but would not accept password in router admin page, which is shown on back of Router... attempted twice with same result.

So I used 'Chat' to contact TT for assistance. This was totally frustrating!

First advisor got to the stage when they said they could change it for me, gave a new password to be used.... then I was disconnected whilst advised to wait for it to update. 

So am unaware if new password was accepted or not.

Contacted 'Chat' again, again disconnected, after sending details of previous 'Chat', when advisor told me, I had not replied to email about 'fault on telephone line' which I had reported a few days ago, which I was advised by TT an engineer did not need access to house to fix... this has been fixed! Shortly afterwards received further email, to advise TT were keeping an eye on line for any problems.

So then third 'Chat', went through similar process when advised they could not check Router to see if password had been altered or not, advised pressing button on Router to return to default settings... again before doing this I was disconnected.

I have read how to change Router password, but if I do not know password to access Router password, what am I supposed to do?

TT have given me differing advice, before somehow being disconnected.

Admit after being on 'Chat' for much longer than expected advised I would have to leave, to go for appointment, but still no further forward, even asking for either an email or telephone call when they knew what the situation was, nothing received!

As an iMac user, have looked in stored passwords, finding the TTnamed Account which corresponds to that on back of Router, open 'see password' and the one I originally attempted to put into change Router password is shown! So this is correct why won't it accept? Is it the name, in router admin page, that is incorrect or what should details should I input over the one that is shown?

Any chance of assistance from TT on here? Please!

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

You're Welcome 🙂

Regards 

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

OK thank you for your quick responses Karl

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi

This is only the password to access the router settings, this will not affect the broadband connection.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 13

If I come out of Talk Talk router site, leaving password in this state, will it cause any problems with my broadband?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi

We cannot resolve the password issue remotely, you will need to await the new router.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 13

OK Thanks.... what do I need to do in the meantime with this password situation?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi

I'll swap out the router for another and see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 8 of 13

I have just tried going back into 192.168.1.1 to reset password, which was accepted.

Changed password, which was accepted. BUT after doing so this screen keeps popping up. I enter new password, it momentarily goes back to previous'Maintenance' screen, then pops up again. Enter new password and keep going round in circles!!

What do I need to do now?

Screenshot 2021-12-24 at 14.56.06.png

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Hi

Did you try the pin reset on the router then enter the code under the card on the back ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

So TT mislead me by advising they could change router password for me!

Hence wasting my time sitting here for them to do so!!

If changing the router is your way of sorting this, please do.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Hi

As advised, can you check the password is the one under the card on the router and if failing try a pin reset of the router.  If still failing, we can replace the router, but we do not have access to the router password.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi @Tink E R Bell,

What model of router do you have ?

Also just to double check, there will be a Wi-Fi password and a router password listed on the label on the router, are you sure you are using the router password when trying to log into the router.

You could factory reset the router by holding in the reset switch on the back for over 10 seconds, this should return the password to the router password shown on the label, but be aware that this would return all settings back to their defaults, so if you have ever logged into the router to change any other settings, those changes would be lost.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes