cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router webpage does not recognise router name or passwod

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 158 of 158

I have been having recurring wifi and internet outages. I have tried to access the router, but the webpage rejects the name I had changed it to and the original name.  I am using the router password - not the wifi password.  I have just reset the router but no change.

Also, when wifi works, I can connect to an extender successfully, but NOT the router itself.

0 Likes
157 REPLIES 157

Message 21 of 158

Morning,

Ok thanks for confirming. If the wired speed is also low then I'd say let's go ahead with the engineer visit. Could you provide a few dates and times please when you're available and also confirm that you accept possible time related charges as per our engineer policy.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 22 of 158

Possibly anticipating a question my laptop is 4 metres from the router, in direct line of site, the same as the phone.

0 Likes

Message 23 of 158

Michelle

Firstly, you said you would ask Arne to contact me, so please do that.  I can't find a "Billing Section" in the community index.

I have run the speed tests and the results are attached.  All the results apart from 9.59 today are wireless.  The 9.59 is wired.  I also did a test on my iphone with nothing else connected and it was a download of 1.59mbps at around the same time, but had been around 18mbps yesterday.

You have an obligation to sort this so I leave it to you to find the best way to resolve the multiple issues, and it is your decision whether you send an engineer.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 158

Morning,

I'm really sorry for the delay. Please can you create a new topic in the Billing Section and I will ask Arne to pick this up ASAP.

In regards to your connection, I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the sync speed looks really consistent. If the speeds are still really low with just the one device connected and all testing has been completed at the test socket and with a different router then the only option we have is to arrange another engineer visit.

Can I just check, what speeds do you see if you run a wired speed test with just the one device connected please? I'm just trying to see if this could solely be related to the wireless?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 25 of 158

Chris

Are you saying that you will not keep to your contractual obligation, and are just going to give up?  This morning I had 4 devices attached (of which 3 were inactive) and my download speed was 1.78mbps.  I disconnected two inactive devices and the download went down to 0.41mbps.  This seems to make nonsense of your colleague's assertion that the problem is the number of devices.

There have also been random interruptions to service.

The question to you is "ARE YOU TELLING ALL THE TALKTALK COMMUNITY THAT YOU ARE INCAPABLE/UNWILLING TO RESOLVE MY PROBLEMS?"  I think I've been very tolerant.

If the answer to my question is "YES", can you please provide me with the contact details of your CEO so that I can discuss this with him.

I would much prefer to have this resolved by you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 26 of 158

I've heard nothing from Arne.  Please hurry him.

0 Likes

Message 27 of 158

I'm really sorry about this, I know it must be very frustrating. If you'd like to discuss leaving you'll need to speak to our loyalty team, they'll be able to help - Cancel your TalkTalk service - TalkTalk Help & Support

Apologies again for any inconvenience caused by this issue.

Chris

Message 28 of 158

Michelle

Do you really think that is OK?  One minute I get a download of 0.13mbps and then 19mbps.  Are you saying this is all due to the current infrastructure?  If so, can you please explain exactly what it is in the infrastructure that causes the problems?

I have no control over the infrastructure, so between you and Openreach you need to resolve this.  Can you imagine a water engineer coming out after I reported a water leak saying this is all due to the current infrastructure and he can't do anything.  It makes it worse that I pay more money to you.

If you can't do anything, please have someone confirm I can cancel my contract with no penalty.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 158

Hello,

My colleague from the Faults Escalation Team advised that they have checked everything and unfortunately this is due to current infrastructure of the line and until FTTP becomes available there is not much further we can do. As an Openreach engineer has investigated, the line tests are clear and different routers have been tested then there are no further steps that we can take. Apologies.

I'll also ask my colleague @Arne-TalkTalk to look into your billing query for you.

Michelle

Message 30 of 158

Michelle

See post replying to Ferguson.  The situation is still appalling despite following your engineer's instruction to limit myself to two devices.  Speeds of 0.13mbps.  Can you please, FINALLY, resolve the position.

I also need to contact someone in your billing department to explain why I'm not paying for the engineer.  Can you facilitate that, please?

0 Likes

Message 31 of 158

Ferguson

The engineer spent some time doing tests and whatever else he does, at my house.  He appeared satisfied there were no problems (at that point) with the set-up.

I specifically stated (in this community page - have a look) that I would accept the possibility of engineers charges only after I had agreed them.  This has never been done, so I am still waiting for the engineer's report or some justification.  I find it strange that you defend Talktalk charging people whatever they like, with no obvious redress.  In most commercial transactions you receive an invoice for services so that you can see whether they're reasonable.  It's not a lot to ask.

I don't see how they can restrict my service any further.  I've just carried out a speed check and it's 0.13mbps on my laptop and 0.18mbps on my iphone.  I also have notification of breaks in service in the last 24hrs.

So this post is also addressed to Keith or Michelle - can you explain why, with only two devices attached, why the performance is so slow?

mackerel_0-1710754356752.png

0 Likes

Message 32 of 158

Did the engineer not visit your home and do anything with the master socket at all?

Whilst you are perfectly at liberty to dispute any engineer charges, which are raised by Openreach by the way and only in part passed on by TalkTalk, it is not a good idea to withhold payment in the meantime as this can lead to further charges and your service being restricted. 

The terms of use of the community do ask that you refrain from using foul or abusive language. 

0 Likes

Message 33 of 158

Keith

Sorry, I didn't make it clear.  The Openreach engineer "fixed" the connection.  It worked for a while.  After copious complaints, and promises to give it to network experts, they (Talktalk engineers) fiddled about, and it wasn't much better, and the Talktalk Manager said that that was the best he could do as my service would only support two devices.

I told him this was rubbish, as there is nothing in my contract which says that.  I think Talktalk want to push this back into the long grass as they seem to be incapable of sorting this out.  Everyone is very nice, but that doesn't get an answer.

To add insult to injury, the b*st*rds are stiffing me with a bill of £75 for the Openreach engineer.  I've stopped my direct debit so they can't grab it.  I'll pay the rest of the bill as normal.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 158

What reason did the engineer give to justify such a statement about only two devices? To my mind that is rubbish.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 35 of 158

The engineer contacted me and the result is no change.  He told me that I can only run two devices at any one time and there is no way to improve this.  I have checked my contract and I cannot find this condition.  Can you tell me where this is stated in my contract?

In the meantime I think I need compensation for the consistent failure to provide minimum internet speeds.  The details are well documented in this thread.  Please let me know what you will do.

0 Likes

Message 36 of 158

I have just received a charge for £75 for the Openreach engineer who came out on 5th March.  He fixed a problem at the streetside cabinet outside my property.  Therefore I do not need to pay this.  I have stopped the direct debit.  Please issue a correct bill.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 158

Hello,

The team have advised that they have now made contact.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 38 of 158

Hello,

I'm really sorry. I've chased the team and have asked if they can provide an update on this ASAP.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 39 of 158

I've heard nothing from Talktalk about resolving my problems.  The service isn't just a 5 day one - it's 24/7.  I can't contact my bank, my doctor, my car insurer, my family as the connection is so unstable.  The attached shows the speed results over the last 7 days.

I think I now need to cancel my contract.

0 Likes

Message 40 of 158

I'm sorry about this, I passed it to our Network team yesterday and I can see that someone has picked it up and is looking into it. I'll let you know as soon as I have any more information 

Chris

0 Likes