cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Strange DNS failures

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 126 of 126

Hi all

I have been having issues with my connection recently, mainly slower speeds (still hitting 30mbs) and disconnects. 

I have just spent 40 minutes on chat with the tech team trying to nail it down, but no errors with the line showing, suggested it may be wiring in my house but nothing here has recently changed. 

I was just looking at my router setting and noticed some strange behaviur in the logs. Lots of DNS name resolution failures during the night when there would be no acces on my connection.

Anyone have a clue whats going on or if this could be the cause of my instability?

Thanks

DNS Fails.png

125 REPLIES 125

Message 101 of 126

Further down it says:

WHY HAVE I BEEN CHARGED?

We'll charge you if the Openreach engineer was unable to find a fault with your service or the fault was found to be related to a condition in your property or garden. Any faults related to your main phone socket may also incur a charge, as will issues caused by any personal devices connected to your line. You won’t be charged for faults caused by Openreach equipment.

To be clear, if a fault is found on the line/exchange/cab, then there wouldn't be a charge

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 102 of 126

It's not very clearly explained

'If there’s a fault outside of your property, the engineer will complete any necessary work on the network or at the exchange. The maximum potential charge for your appointment is £65 and it will show on your bill as Engineer charge.' 

0 Likes

Message 103 of 126

No, in that scenario you wouldn't be charged - charges are explained in the link in my previous post

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 104 of 126

Just for clarity for any other users who may be reading this (and for my own clarity) 

If an OR engineer comes to my property and finds an issue with the network which is outside of my property and fixes the issue at the street cabinet then I'm going to be charged £65? 

0 Likes

Message 105 of 126

OK, if you'd like us to arrange the engineer visit can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.
  • Confirm your mobile number

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 106 of 126

OK, if that's the only way forward then I'm happy to organise that 

0 Likes

Message 107 of 126

OK, thanks for trying that. If you'd like us to arrange an engineer visit please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 108 of 126

OK, so that's been my router plugged into the test port with a filter for about 47 hours. Still no improvement in my speeds..... 

0 Likes

Message 109 of 126
0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 110 of 126

OK, I will do that this morning 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 111 of 126

Thanks. Could you connect the router to the test socket with a micro-filter and leave it there for at least 48 hours. If there's then no improvement in speed/stability then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 112 of 126

OK. Yes we only have the one socket 

0 Likes

Message 113 of 126

We would need to do some further checks and then arrange an engineer visit if required

Do you just have the one telephone socket in your home? 

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 114 of 126

So I'm still getting poor connection speeds. I ran another diagnostic on the TalkTalk site today and it still show my line seems OK, but aknowledges my speed is slow and flags that as an issue.

Where do we go from here.....?

Message 115 of 126

I think the DNS errors are probably just short interruptions to your internet connection. I can't see the real time data for today yet so can't see if the connection was interrupted at the time that you experienced the DNS errors but I can see that there were some unavailable seconds yesterday

Chris

0 Likes

Message 116 of 126

I don't seem to have a test socket. I have a NET5c base plate with a Mk4 filter attached. I have no way of connecting the DSL cable with the faceplate removed.

The low speed is annoying, but my main question was wether the DNS name failures were anything to worry about.

0 Likes

Message 117 of 126

Hello,

Ok thanks. Does the main socket have a test socket? If it does then would it be possible to connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket so we can re-run the line test again please? Also just to advise, it can take up to 48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable once the router has been swapped over.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 118 of 126

Hi Chris

We don't use the landline telephone at all, there is nothing for that plugged into the master socket.

0 Likes

Message 119 of 126

Hi mitchgixer6,

Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 120 of 126

Hi again

So i've installed the new router this morning. Nothing has changed......

Still getting lower than expected speeds, and within 30s of the router establishing itself there are logs of DNS name resolution failures. I've copied an pasted them below.

Would appreciate any other advice on anything else I could try.

Thanks

01.09.2022 08:16:34ErrorDNS
DNS name resolution failure (216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa)
DNS name resolution failure (google.com.onion)
DNS name resolution failure (*google.com)
DNS name resolution failure (216.58.202.4.in-addr.arpa)
0 Likes