cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Strange DNS failures

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 126 of 126

Hi all

I have been having issues with my connection recently, mainly slower speeds (still hitting 30mbs) and disconnects. 

I have just spent 40 minutes on chat with the tech team trying to nail it down, but no errors with the line showing, suggested it may be wiring in my house but nothing here has recently changed. 

I was just looking at my router setting and noticed some strange behaviur in the logs. Lots of DNS name resolution failures during the night when there would be no acces on my connection.

Anyone have a clue whats going on or if this could be the cause of my instability?

Thanks

DNS Fails.png

125 REPLIES 125

Message 1 of 126

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 2 of 126

Hi Karl

Thanks very much for the update. That sounds like they managed to track down the problem and luckily also seems like it was a straightforward repair. 

Fingers crossed the that keeps the connection stable from here on.

Cheers 

Michael 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 126

Hi

Engineer notes advise that they changed the E-side pair, so cables from Exchange side to cabinet, then re-terminated the connections at the cabinet.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 4 of 126

Hi again 

Good news to report, it looks like the disconnections I have been suffering with  for months have finally been resolved since the last engineer appointment. 

I was however wondering if you are able to tell me what work was carried out by looking at the engineer notes? Don't get me wrong I'm glad that the problem seems to be fixed, but after 7 previous engineer visits where no improvement was made, I'm curious to find out what the actual fault was and how it was cured.

The last engineer I spoke to suggested the only fix would be to dig up my drive and replace the copper cable, so to have the problem fixed without the engineer even having to come into my house has triggered my curiosity... 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 126

The line test is picking up a potential fault, so the engineer will check the line, if they need to access your home to carry out further checks they may contact you directly. 

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 6 of 126

Hi Chris

Thanks for doing this. Can you please explain what this means though? I've already had 7 engineer visits with no improvement with the problem...... 

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 126

Hi mitchgixer6,

I've logged this to Openreach as a non-appointed task. This means that Openreach will investigate over the next 72 hours and may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Chris

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 8 of 126

Hi there 

My connection is still the same, there has been no improvement. I have renewed my contract with TT so would like to book another engineer visit please. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 126

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. How have you found the connection/speed since your last post?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 126

Hi mitchgixer6

Sorry that you are having problems

Best option would be to call the loyalty team on 03451720088 They will be able help.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 126

When you called and the voice prompt asked for the reason for your call did you say "I'd like to cancel," or

*@#][!![]'#[@#]!* ?

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 12 of 126

*@#][!![]'#[@#]!*

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 126

You can only cancel by phone, unless you switch to another provider and ask them to take over your existing number, in which case they should contact TalkTalk on your behalf. 

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 14 of 126

Is anyone on here able to help me put in my 30 days notice to cancel my contract?

I called the number today, and was passed bewtween 3 departments before finally getting cut off!

0 Likes

Message 15 of 126
0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 16 of 126

Hi there 

Yes I think I managed to cancel the engineer via live chat yesterday, although I've not had any confirmation from Openreach yet. 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 126

Hello,

Have you been in contact with the team directly?

Thanks

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 18 of 126

OK, thanks very much for the advice 

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 126

It will be best to contact TalkTalk directly to ensure that it is cancelled in time as it will need to be done by 12 noon tomorrow, otherwise you may face a charge:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

0 Likes

mitchgixer6
Chat Champion
Private Message
Message 20 of 126

Hi again 

I'm looking to cancel my engineer appointment for Tuesday the 1st between 8-1. 

I have decided to to cancel my broadband with Talk Talk and wait until FTTP is available in my area. 

Thanks 

0 Likes