cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TV won't connect to Router

CofRed
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

My daughters TV has been wirelessly connected to our router since she got it at Christmas but all of a sudden it has stopped connecting.

I have tried a hard reset of the TV and all sorts but to know joy. A little investigation shows that the router maybe blocking the TV's MAC code and not letting it connect.

Can someone tell me how i remove the TV blockage from the router.

Thanks

Update: So I have done some digging into my router and it appears that the TV has been given a really long IP address made up of letters and numbers rather than just the regular series of numbers (fdaa:bbcc:ddee:0:c223:8dff:fec6:7327). This seems to be conflicting with something??

Please TT can i have some help here.

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi James

The WIFI optimisation has been switched back on as requested. Please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Hi Chris

Thank you for making the changes but I went for a wired connection in the end to resolve my problem.

We do seem to be having a few wi-fi drop outs since you took off the optimisation, would you mind reactivating it please.

Thanks

James

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Hi Keith

Thank you for all of your help and for sending over your form. I decided to go for a wired connection in the end, which has solved the problem, obviously 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

Hi @CofRed 

Now that TT has disabled WiFi Optimisation, I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar with the Size parameter set to Large. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 13

Hi CofRed,

I've disabled wifi optimisation as requested

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

Moving the TV downstairs won't necessarily rule out WiFi interference at all. I'll get TalkTalk to disable WiFi Optimisation & then I'll send my guide over to you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi keith

I have taken the TV downstairs to near the router, to reduce any possible interferance, and tried to connect again by wifi but no joy. I also tried a wired connection and that worked fine, just fyi.

It sounds like I need this wifi optimisation disabling but as no one from TT has responded then I can't get it disabled. It does annoy me that they make thisd the only way to contact them but actualy never respond, or at least very slowly. They shouldn't be relying on people like you to help. Rant over.

Would you mind sending your guide to me? Thank you for your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

The router's DHCP server will hand out both IPv4 addresses & also IPv6. Their network only supports IPv4 and to manage the router you use the IPv4 address of it. I think that the DHCP server software in the router is just IPv6 ready. 

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Have you had TalkTalk’s Wi-Fi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom FAST5364 router? When this is enabled, as it is by default, it has the power to override any Wi-Fi configuration changes that I might suggest that you need to make. This will not help rectify this type of problem if Wi-Fi Optimisation is allowed to change my suggested settings. Only TalkTalk can do this for you, you cannot do it yourself. If not, just request they disable this for you in your reply.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 13

Gave that a check and there aren't any addresses blocked, so that is out as a problem.

Looking like interference then. The only thing I am confused by is you said the IP address was IPv6 but the router only has IPv4 options, could that be part of the problem?

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 13

Personally I think it is more likely to be WiFi interference, but since you asked about MAC address filters you can find those in the 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi settings in the Advanced configuration area of the router.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Thanks for offering to help.

Looking at the sticker on the back I believe i have a SageMcom Fast 5364-X

Looking at the internet connectivity section I only have IPv4 showing, no IPv6. So strange that the Tv used to connect ok but has now stopped.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

That long IP address is an IP V6 address, the TV needs to use an IPv4 address. Which router do you have, then I can tell you how to check its MAC address filters?

Keith