cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TalkTalk Range extender

davetez
Participant
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I’ve been experiencing low speed issues & I think I’ve now found the reason but would still like some suggestions as how to proceed further. 
Im on gigabit UFO & recently noticed a significant drop in performance. Did an online speed check & was only getting 45Mbps. 
Phoned the TT helpline & the support guy talked me through a router reset via the button & also we connected my computer via cable to one of the LAN ports (which confirmed the line was indeed running at 1Gig) 

The support team guy didn’t suggest any other fixes, just decided to send out a new router!

So today I discovered that my iPad was connecting at 45Mbps & my iPhone a more healthy 400+ Mbps!
Eureka moment! are my devices connecting to my power line range extender rather than my router? 
I went into my Router settings & renamed both the 5ghz & 2.4 ghz connections accordingly.
Now when checking wifi connections I see there are now 3 with the SSID of the range extender still set to the original factory SSID.

Questions

My range extender is used to connect an upstairs PC which has no wifi card. Would I be better using a USB dongle than the power line connector which only connects at a relatively low speed?

Can I log into the power line extender & change its SSID?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 7

Without checking for WiFi interference and the current link speed of your 2.4GHz device, it is impossible to say if the speed can be improved. I can help with all of this.

First off as you say, try out the new router when you get it & let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Thanks for your guide Keith. 
Now getting around 200Mbps using the TP link dongle connected to the 5ghz connection on my upstairs pc (which doesn’t get much use tbh)

Just tested my speed on the 2.4 gig connection with my phone.

Is 90 Mbps the most I can expect or does it sound like there are further issues?

Still getting 200-300 on the 5gig connection. 

will see what the new router behaves like when it comes. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 7

You certainly can change the SSID of the WiFi Extender, I will PM you my guide on doing this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 7

Hi Keith, Im using the Sagemcom router hardware version FAST5364 3.00 software SG4K10002816t

Power socket range extender D-Link DHP-W610AV

just bought a £16 tp-link dongle to try instead.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 7

Hi @davetez 

@Michelle-TalkTalk  has asked me to help you. What make/model of router and range extender are you using?

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice in regards to the wireless speed please?

Thanks