cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN - GRE Issues connecting

catjarv
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 17 of 17

Hi,

I am having issues connecting to my work's VPN. I am getting the following error message:

"The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least one internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets."

My correct firmware version is SG4K100136 which I believe causes issues for this. Are you able to update this?

I have connected the same laptop to the VPN whilst connected to other WiFi networks, and have tried a wired connection to my TalkTalk router and it was unsuccessful. 

Many Thanks

Cathryn

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Message 1 of 17

Hi Cathryn

Ok, please can you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then testing again?

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi Debbie,

They were already set to Low - I have tried changing to medium though and still no luck 😞

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Cathryn

Thanks for confirming. Please can you try changing the firewall level in the router settings to medium?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Sorry I've been on holiday - thanks so much for getting this updated.

I can now connect to the VPN, however I have no access to anything that should give me (shared drives, remote computer). These are still working fine when I connect to another wifi provider. Do you have any guesses why? Or might there be additional settings that need adjusting?

Many thanks

Cathryn

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Cathryn

Your router firmware has now updated to version 158.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Cathryn

Our Devices Team have advised that updates on the firmware  should now be available within the next 2 weeks.

We are currently still experiencing issues updating the router firmware.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 17

Hi Cathryn

I'm still chasing for updates on this.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

HI Cathryn

The firmware update is still failing. We should hopefully have further updates from our Devices Team on this issue by Thursday, sorry for the delays.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

HI Cathryn

I'm really sorry for the delay.

The firmware update is still failing. Our Devices Team are still investigating this issue at the moment.

I will keep trying to update the firmware.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Any updates with this? 🙂

Thanks

Cathryn

0 Likes

Message 11 of 17

Hi catjarv

Thanks for your reply.

I'm still trying to update the firmware and I will keep trying, apologies for the delays.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Thanks Keith - TalkTalk telephone support wasting 2 hours of my morning then ha.

Fingers crossed Debbie is able to update the firmware and it works 😄 thanks for your help 🙂

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 17

I can help all you want with port forwarding, but it will not have any impact on this problem. Port forwarding deals with connections coming in from the internet to one of your devices. VPN clients originate a connection from a device to the internet. From my testing, V158 will not solve the VPN issue on the 5464, but TT often has other firmware that might resolve this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 17

Thanks so much Debbie. Is there anything I should do on my end- disconnect any devices etc?

Just looking at Keith's response below- my router is the Sagemcom FAST 5464-2. T4

Will the update help with my model? Another suggestion was to set up port forwarding- would this solve the GRE issues?

Let me know if you need any more info or me to do anything 🙂

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 15 of 17

Hi Cathryn

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I need to make a change to your router firmware but the update keeps failing at the moment.

Please can you leave the router switched on and we will keep trying to update your router firmware.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 17

Yes V136 does have VPN issues. Assuming that you have the Sagemcom F@ST5364, rather than the 5464, the solution is to upgrade to V158. 

I have asked one of TalkTalk's support to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

They aim to respond within 48 hours (Monday - Friday) excluding Bank Holidays, but if more urgent you can always try the Service Centre on 0345 172 0088. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. Please try to avoid posting on here until TalkTalk has responded to you, otherwise, this will just put you further down the queue.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?