cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

VPN failing on new firmware SG4K100136 (solved, custom rule in thread)

SudoSandwich
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Came home from work yesterday to find my router firmware was upgraded and now my VPN no longer works correctly.

Could you please update as this is needed for remote work. 

Many thanks

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi SudoSandwich

Thanks for your reply.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Debbie

Message 2 of 11

Yes, adding the firewall ruleset fixed the issue I was having.

Message 3 of 11

Hi SudoSandwich

Is this working ok now?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 4 of 11

@PaulS1988 I'm not sure if the live chat and phone teams will know how to resolve your issue, worth a try, but they do tend to work from very structured scripts, and I'm not sure this particular issue is one they will have a scripted process to resolve. So they may end up taking you through a lot of checks and taking a lot of time, but ultimately not being able to fix it.

However the support team here on the community are far more technical and will be able to help.

Message 5 of 11

Thanks for this.

If I contact talktalk tomorrow, can they resolve this?  (they've confirmed they'll be working tomorrow)  I work in a 24/7 industry and this connection will be needed all weekend and bank holiday Monday.  

0 Likes

SudoSandwich
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 6 of 11

I'm going to close this as after adding a rule in the firewall section my VPN is working correctly again. (was Linux client and server btw).

To help others perhaps I set a custom rule here: http://192.168.1.1/2.0/gui/#/access-control/firewall

In my specific case the rule looked like:

Screenshot_2022-04-29_21-25-02.png

maybe this will help others.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 7 of 11

@PaulS1988, quite a few people have had issues using the built in Windows 10/11 VPN on the new version of firmware, the support team here on the community should be able to help with that when they return next week, but you would need to start your own topic on the community for them to be able to help you. They will then be able to make a change to your firmware that will hopefully resolve the issue.

You will also need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in your new topic, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk Support Team on this community can see your profile details).

PaulS1988
First Timer
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Same issue for myself, using Windows 10 VPN.  Web based support was unhelpful.  

Are you seeing the following error?  (If using windows vpn).  

vpon error.PNG

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

OpenVPN community

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi @SudoSandwich,

The support team here probably won't be around until after the weekend now, but they should be able to help next week.

What VPN software are you trying to use ?