cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi Optimisation

stpmhe
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 5

Please forgive me for opening a new mail on this subject but I need the help of TT community - support

I have recently extended my Wifi network (using access point) and have manually set my 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz Wifi channels using the Router Web app/Advanced settings menu and successfully saved the results. Unfortunately the following day I find that the channel/s often change overnight from those I set which is the result of the 'Wifi Optimisation' feature which by default is set to 'enabled' and remotely by TalkTalk. I have read several reports from others within the TT community who also requested that this change should be made  'user setting' rather than a remote TT only access feature. The latter would require a Router firmware change and I believe this may even be WIP.  So, in the interim, I am asking 'please' could the TT support team disable the 'Wifi optimisation' on my Sagemcom 5364 router? Thank you for your help and consideration.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi stpmhe

That's great , thank you for letting me know 🙂

0 Likes

stpmhe
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 5

Hi Debbie, and apologies for my late reply to you. 

Turning Wifi compensation off has helped with my specific issue - thank you.

It was really only partially beneficial (at this time) for the over crowded 2.4GHz band anyway. (We only have 2 older wifi connected devices that still use this band/cannot be upgraded to 5GHz so not really a big problem).

Turning off Wifi compensation has better allowed me to extend our Wifi to cover the entire house but using an Ethernet driven Access point - as wifi extender which I have set to a different 5GHz frequency to that set for the main wifi direct from the router - ie; The main point is the channels are fixed and no  longer adjust themselves overnight. Wifi quality on 5 GHz at the present time is very good and not crowded out. No doubt this will become an issue to some extent again at some point moving forward. The only issue this causes is the need to select the required Wifi network;

(i). There is a an app within Google Play store that can be used (for a nominal one off fee) to auto switch between the 2 Wifi signals depending upon their relative signal strength and this works ok at this time.

(ii). Alternatively on Android 13/14 devices it is very easy to manually switch over anyway - There is now a Home page pull down menu that includes quick access Wifi network 'short cu't that is simple to access. Also, because we only use the Access point wifi from  ~8pm to 8am the following morning (ie; the Wifi extender includes a timer) we have set the main Wifi network from the router to 'Auto reconnect' when the access point Wifi switches off in the morning. This seems to work fine with only minimal effort. 

Thank you for your help and apologies again for the late reply.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Hi stpmhe

How's the connection been since the WIFI optimisation was switched off?

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 5

Hi stpmhe

I've switched the WIFI optimisation off as requested, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes