cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi not available on mobile devices

jmf2022
First Timer
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I had TalkTalk broadband installed yesterday, and I was able to connect to wifi on my phone until 9PM when it just dropped. I have not been able to connect to the network since then, even though I can connect on my laptop.  I'm having this problem on two Android phones and a Kindle. I spent an hour in chat with an advisor and nothing was resolved. I have tried rebooting the router and modem twice, resetting the router, checking router and phone settings, rebooting the phones and kindle, forgetting and re-adding the network, etc. The wifi signal appears weak or non-existent even when I hold it next to the router, and my phone seems unable to obtain an IP address.  I will have to cancel my account after less than two days if this continues!

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi jmf2022,

We can send another router to test with, would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Hi @Skynet_TX , thanks for your suggestions.  I have the Huawei router. I've tried swapping between the bands (phones only capable of connecting to 2.4gHz so not many options there) and changing the channels, but there was no improvement on any of them. TalkTalk have been a complete disappointment and I'll be cancelling my account.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Private Message
Message 3 of 6

Hi @jmf2022,

Your router will be broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, do you happen to know if the device that is working ok (the laptop) is connecting to one of those bands, and the devices that are not working are trying to connect to the other ?

As if this was the case it may indicate that you are suffering from Wi-Fi interference on one of those bands.

What model of router do you have ?

You could try changing the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

I'm not sure what router you have, but be aware that the Sagemcom router has a feature called 'Wi-Fi Optimisation', this means it can change the Wi-Fi channel itself, overriding what you have set it to, it can randomly do this after minutes, hours or days !. So if you do find a channel that works well, but then things go bad again, check to see if the router has changed channel to something different to what you set it to. If you do experience this problem then just post back here to ask the staff to disable the 'Wi-Fi Optimisation' on your router, once that is done it will stay on whatever channel you set it to. This only affects the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub, if you have the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub it will stay on whatever channel you set it to.

The staff here probably won't be around now until Monday, but they should be able to respond to this post early next week to help.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 6

Hi Chris, I've done this twice already and it hasn't changed anything.

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 5 of 6

Hi jmf2022,

I can't see anything at our end that would be causing this problem. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest, please let us know how you get on.

Chris

0 Likes