cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi router premium

Profwrak
Team Player
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Is this router worth having instead of standard TalkTalk router?

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 1 of 7

See https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/Slow-download-speed-from-some-services-despite-fast-co...

Wired or wireless makes no difference.  Download speed measured by TT or Which or Ookla drops very low but fast.net and Google usually remain fast and I can watch video as long as they are ones you cache but not ones you don't cache.  I have been advised to switch to another provider but I want to get a good understanding of  how internet caching works because I don't want another provider that doesn't give me a fast connection to the actual internet.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 7

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. Can I just confirm, when the speeds are dropping of an evening are you running the speed tests wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

nophead
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 3 of 7

It's likely that a peak time evening slowing of speed is due to network demand local to you. TalkTalk does try to speed network throughput by cacheing content on demand at the local Edge Server.

That is the problem I have and TalkTalk can't offer a solution to. I have a solid 56 Mbps connection but my download speeds drops to less than 1Mbps most evenings. Where is the "Edge" server you speak of located? In my local exchange or in a data centre in Aylesbury? I suspect the latter but as nobody else complains here I wonder if it is in my local exchange.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Feels like the Wi-Fi router HG633 is performing well although no longer supplied for new contracts. 70Mbps download speed is better than the average speed for Fibre 65. It's likely that a peak time evening slowing of speed is due to network demand local to you. TalkTalk does try to speed network throughput by cacheing content on demand at the local Edge Server.

Best Wi-Fi performance on the HG633 is with software v2.0 so worth checking the software status.

My feeling is that the Wi-Fi Hub is unlikely to offer a noticeable improvement in download speed in your case. You're seeing 70Mbps and the absolute maximum for the service is 80Mbps assuming no losses between the street cabinet and your home. Equally, I'm sure if TalkTalk Support see that the Wi-Fi Optimisation feature of the Wi-Fi Hub may help you they're usually amenable to swap out the older Wi-Fi Router. 

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Profwrak
Team Player
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Thanks, Gondola, for taking an interest.

My router is Huawei NG633, Hardware version H.1.01.  

Service is Fibre 65, advertised speed download 59Mbps.  

On Sunday 2pm test gave download 73, Upload 18. But in an evening I get very much less.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

I've queried the description of a Wi-Fi router Premium as mentioned on the Sales website in relation to Full Fibre 65. We believe this is just a change from the Huawei Wi-Fi Hub Black (no longer supplied) to the Sagemcom Wi-Fi Hub model FAST 5364 or Wi-Fi Hub 2 model FAST 5464.

What Wi-Fi router do you have now and what is your broadband service / advertised speed?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes