cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi, splitting

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 27 of 27

I recently updated my talktalk internet and it seems unknowingly my router has been 'switched' to run at 5Ghz setting. I have BG smart plugs setup around the house and they all started failing. It seems they only run on 2.4Ghz. i have checked some other smart plugs (Tapo) and their instructions tell you they only run at 2.4Ghz too. At the moment i have gone back to old mechanical plugin timers! Can anyone tell me how to set my router up to 'split' the channels or do i need a new router from talktalk!? Help!!? 

0 Likes
26 REPLIES 26

Message 21 of 27

HI Toad20,

If you want to try splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands you just have to give them a different SSIDs in the router settings

Chris

0 Likes

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 22 of 27

I have reset the router a couple of times...rebooted the router a few times and its still not letting me setup my smart plugs!!! 😕 My router is a sagem, is this model prone to this sort of thing?  

IMG_20240908_222144617-01.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 23 of 27

Hello,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 27

Hi @Toad20# 

I assume the situation is that these devices are not compatible with the 5GHz band. The router will support both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands, not just the 5GHz one. I also assume that they need to connect via an app of some sort & here probably lies the problem. There are some of these apps (I have no idea if this applies to your app) that have been badly written from an IP networking perspective, which causes your problem.

Please can you tell me the make/model of the router that you have & I will try to help you get these devices connected.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 25 of 27

I have now reset the t router...and switched it off and reset it, and the BG smart plugs are still saying i'm connected to a 5Ghz  network and that i should go into the setting and set it to 2.4Ghz! 

Screenshot_20240907-175422.png
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 26 of 27

Hi Toad20#

Please can you factory reset the router using the pin hole reset for ten seconds and then try and connect that device again?

0 Likes