cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Wifi, splitting

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 23 of 23

I recently updated my talktalk internet and it seems unknowingly my router has been 'switched' to run at 5Ghz setting. I have BG smart plugs setup around the house and they all started failing. It seems they only run on 2.4Ghz. i have checked some other smart plugs (Tapo) and their instructions tell you they only run at 2.4Ghz too. At the moment i have gone back to old mechanical plugin timers! Can anyone tell me how to set my router up to 'split' the channels or do i need a new router from talktalk!? Help!!? 

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 23

Hi @Toad20# 

I have just tried it again, it does not strip out the password and it is easy to do, even if you are making this change from a device connected to the 5GHz band at the time. Assuming that to be the case, this is how to do it. After logging in to the router, go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Then in the SSID field add the 5G to the current WiFi name, so once again, if the SSID originally was MySSID, change this to MySSID5G. Note that this is the only change made below in the red box for the SSID and that the password in the yellow box remains unchanged. Finally, click the Apply button:-

Rename SSID field, password remains unchangedRename SSID field, password remains unchanged

Then you will receive a confirmation screen, click the Continue button:-

ConfirmationConfirmation

If you have done this from a device connected to the 5GHz band, there will now be a minute or so delay whilst the changes are made and the device will automatically reconnect to the 2.4GHz band. No device can currently connect to the renamed 5Ghz band, as they will not know how to connect to MySSID5G (obviously your SSID will probably be different) until you configure that device with the password for this renamed band. Again this will be the same password as your 2.4GHz band.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 23

So i'll still have to try and sort all this out with that one!!? 

I've been with Talktalk for as long as i can remember!! How on earth can just swapping your contract over cause someone so much hassle? 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 23

If you reply to the email address, that is a "no reply" email address, so I would not have any chance of getting it, you must always reply in your thread. It looks like it has removed your password, so try again & put the password (same as the 2.4GHz band) back in. 

The new router will not have the wifi band names split at all, they will use the same name for both bands. TalkTalk are now recommending that you do not split them at all. However, currently, you can still physically do this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 23

Unfortunately no, the router wouldn't already been configured as this is sent from our equipment warehouse.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 5 of 23

If the new router will be all configured to have the separate 2.4g and 5g bands so i shouldnt have to go thru all this that would be most appreciated michelle. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 23

I replied thru my talktalk email yest to you? I'm guessing you didnt get anything? I tried again the way you suggested, i put 5g after the talktalk ssid, tried to 'Apply' the setting and it wouldnt let me. I'm just getting frustrated as xxxx with it all now. 

IMG_20240915_123141.jpg

IMG_20240915_123251.jpg

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 23

Hi @Toad20# 

Didn't my help work to split the WiFi band names then?

Keith

0 Likes

Message 8 of 23

Morning @Toad20# 

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a replacement router to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 9 of 23

I'm not! Since i "upgraded" with talktalk this is turning out to b the biggest headache ever!!! I cant seem to get into the settings people are suggesting and am just getting totally frustrated 🤬

0 Likes

Message 10 of 23

Hi Toad20#,

How are you getting on?

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 23

I am sorry but your screenshots do not show the 5G on the end. If you are connected to the 5GHz band when you make that change, it will drop the WiFi connection. As an example if your SSID was:-

MySSID

Then when connected to the 5GHz band you change it to:-

MySSID5G

That becomes a totally different network, which your PC does not know the password to, requiring you to make a new connection to MySSID5G. It currently only knows about the MySSID network. It is always best to do this when the PC or other device that is making the changes is connected to the other WiFi band or easier still, use an Ethernet cable connection.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 12 of 23

Keith i managed to log in to my talktalk on a laptop. I went to the areas you suggested. I tried to add 5g to the end of my ssid....and it lost connection?? I really dont know how this is supposed to sort it out. I tried my BG smart plugs and they still say i'm only running a 5g band and no sign of the 2.4g.

I'm not happy with talktalk and how this is not working!! 

IMG_20240914_152129423-01.jpegIMG_20240914_152158230-01.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 13 of 23

Morning @Toad20# 

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 23

Hi @Toad20# 

This will be much easier for you if you can do this with a PC/laptop etc, rather than a mobile device. You will find the router password on the label on the rear of the router, behind the pull-up panel. Please log into your router by going to:-

Then go to:-

Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

On this page look for the SSID field. Just add something like 5G to the end of the current SSID name & leave the password as it is. Then click the Apply button.

You now have two different network names (SSIDs), one for the 2.4GHz band (the original name) and another for the 5GHz band.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 23

Hi @Toad20# 

I will get back to you on how to do this, later today.

Keith

0 Likes

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 23

Chris, how on earth do you give bands different names in a ssid? I'm 63, i can reboot a router and switch it off and on! 

0 Likes

Message 17 of 23

HI Toad20,

If you want to try splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands you just have to give them a different SSIDs in the router settings

Chris

0 Likes

Toad20#
Repeat Guest
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 23

I have reset the router a couple of times...rebooted the router a few times and its still not letting me setup my smart plugs!!! 😕 My router is a sagem, is this model prone to this sort of thing?  

IMG_20240908_222144617-01.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 19 of 23

Hello,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 23

Hi @Toad20# 

I assume the situation is that these devices are not compatible with the 5GHz band. The router will support both the 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands, not just the 5GHz one. I also assume that they need to connect via an app of some sort & here probably lies the problem. There are some of these apps (I have no idea if this applies to your app) that have been badly written from an IP networking perspective, which causes your problem.

Please can you tell me the make/model of the router that you have & I will try to help you get these devices connected.

Keith

0 Likes