cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Work VPN blocked by router

wilburcat
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 51

Hello, my router is blocking the VPN from my new workplace. This means I can't work from home (nightmare!) I've checked computer in other places, and hotspot from my phone - it works fine. So it is definitely the TalkTalk router.

I tried helpdesk, but they didn't understand my problem. I see here others have had this problem and it has been fixed for them so hoping you can do the same for me. 

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 21 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Happy New Year. 

Just to confirm, have you tested with a different router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 51

Happy New Year.

I've asked my IT Dept and apparently there are other people who have TalkTalk without it being a problem

0 Likes

Message 23 of 51

Ok thanks for trying. Does your IT department know if they have anyone else on a TalkTalk service with the same issue.

Chris

Message 24 of 51

Ok - so I've now managed to borrow the right port from a neighbour and have connected the ethernet and disconnected the Wifi.

I waited 5 minutes and it didn't make any difference. DirectAccess still just says "Connecting".

0 Likes

Message 25 of 51

So the ethernet cable doesn't have a port on my laptop. I only have usb-c, HDMI and normal usb ports. Am I missing something?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 51

Would you be able to test connected by Ethernet cable to see if it makes any difference

Chris

Message 27 of 51

I've only tried wireless. But my mobile phone as a hotspot wireless does work. 

Windows 10 Enterprise

0 Likes

Message 28 of 51

Thanks, have you tried it both wired and wireless? Which version of Windows is it?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 29 of 51

Yes, it is a Windows laptop. 

0 Likes

Message 30 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Are you trying to access the VPN on a Windows laptop?

Chris

Message 31 of 51

Hi all, I have now received the new router and everything is set up. Unfortunately it hasn't made any difference (although I think it might be a bit better in terms of wifi strength). I spent over an hour on the phone with my IT yesterday with my router and computer settings and we couldn't find anything to change that would help.

Again - if I hotspot from my mobile phone with the wifi switched off, this problem goes away - so it is definitely the router/account settings and not my computer. If I use hotspot with my mobile phone with the Wifi settings on it doesn't work. I have no problems when using my computer from work. 

The VPN is just Microsoft Data Access, and there isn't anything unusual about the way my company has set up VPN (And it isn't a small company).  

Please can we escalate this further as I've put a lot of time into it now (as have my IT dept), it's definitely something at your end, and if I can't resolve this I will have to find another provider. 

0 Likes

Message 32 of 51

Hi wilburcat

Thanks for your reply.

We don't make changes to the account, we have changed the firmware previously if they were on a firmware version which had issues with VPN.

Message 33 of 51

thanks! I've also been searching in community for others who have had a similar problem - it looks like some people had something enabled on their account that sorted out VPN issues. Could this be the same solution for me? 

0 Likes

Message 34 of 51

Hi wilburcat

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 35 of 51

Yes please, that would be really helpful. The router is several years old, it's possible that's the problem. 

Message 36 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out? We would also send a router returns bag so that one of the routers can be returned.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 37 of 51

@wilburcat, the Data Only service is Future Fibre / Full Fibre.

The Fibre to the Cabinet service always came with a landline, so, as you are on Data Only, you must have already had an "upgrade" to the latest technology. 

Which doesn't mean to say that you couldn't ask about upgrading to a faster package when you renew, if it is available. 

Always phone, to get the best deals, or use Chat, rather than My Account deals.

....... as and when the current issues are resolved. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 38 of 51

I don't think so. I'm on Fibre 65 Data Only. I'm looking to renew at the moment so would be interested in upgrades, but I have to have a solution to this VPN thing so I can work at home. 

0 Likes

Message 39 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Are you on our Future FIbre service?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 40 of 51

My IT dept is offering to talk directly to you if that helps.... I don't know if there's a way that could happen? 

0 Likes