cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Work VPN blocked by router

wilburcat
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 51 of 51

Hello, my router is blocking the VPN from my new workplace. This means I can't work from home (nightmare!) I've checked computer in other places, and hotspot from my phone - it works fine. So it is definitely the TalkTalk router.

I tried helpdesk, but they didn't understand my problem. I see here others have had this problem and it has been fixed for them so hoping you can do the same for me. 

0 Likes
50 REPLIES 50

Message 1 of 51

The speed you get depends on the package you have, 20Mbps upstream is about what you would expect on your package.

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 51

yes, it is correct

0 Likes

Message 3 of 51

Hello,

Can I just confirm, is the telephone number in your Community Profile correct? Please do not post any personal information on the Community.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 51

I'll have to dig out the last test I did, but 20 upload is pretty poor for Fibre, I think, and would explain why my Teams meetings have been struggling this morning. (I know it isn't a problem in my street because I've been asking all my neighbours to test for me and some of them have 900+ up and download speeds!)  

0 Likes

Message 5 of 51

Glad to hear that its working now (they changed the firmware version). What speeds were you getting previously?

Chris

Message 6 of 51

Oh wow - it worked!!!! That's great, thank you! Do you know what changed?

We have had some very strange effects this morning with mobile phones not being able to connect etc - we did a hard reset on the router, and now everything seems to be working again, including the VPN

Speeds are low though .... eg less than 20Mbps uploads...  do you know why that might be? Here's a test I just did

wilburcat_0-1704890534491.png

0 Likes

Message 7 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Did you get chance to retest?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

OK, can you please retest and let me know how you get on

Chris

Message 9 of 51

It's OK thanks, I think they are going to try changing the router firmware

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 51

If there's a Product Manager who wants to talk directly, I'm happy to do so

0 Likes

Message 11 of 51

Thanks, I've forwarded them to our Product Team

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 51

I've  sent screenshots by PM 

0 Likes

Message 13 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Yes, no problem, if you prefer can you PM me the screenshot

Thanks

Chris

Message 14 of 51

I also reiterate that my IT Dept has offered to talk to you directly about this as they are fairly sure what the problem is. I work for a good-size international company, and our IT support is knowledgable.

TalkTalk is unfort going to be highlighted as a problem provider for the company if this isn't resolved. 

0 Likes

Message 15 of 51

Can we please do this in a more secure way than a public screenshot?

It's all automatic for me - my work computer connects to DirectAccess. If I click on "Network & Internet Settings" the VPN just continuously has a status of "Connecting".  If I am in work, at someone else's house or using my mobile phone as a hotspot, the VPN connects within 10 seconds. It's definitely specifically my TalkTalk internet connection. 

I have just come back from a neighbours' house,  as I'm trying different providers around here to see if anyone else has this problem (I am going to have to change providers if this can't be resolved quickly). I haven't found any provider other than TalkTalk than is a problem so far. eg today I trid LitFibre, and the VPN instantly connected.  

0 Likes

Message 16 of 51

Hi wilburcat,

Can you post a screenshot of exactly how you are trying to access the VPN

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 51

I'm sorry it's taking so long, I'll chase it up and let you know when I have any more information

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 51

Have you heard anything more about what we could try, Chris? This is becoming quite problematic for me. Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 19 of 51

OK thanks. I'll see if there's anything further that we can do. I'll let you know when I have any more information

Chris

Message 20 of 51

Yes, I am currently using the new router you sent. The old one is no longer connected

0 Likes