cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

talktalk router 5GHz issues

DrWig
Team Player
Private Message
Message 42 of 42

I've got the latest (I think) talk talk router, but I'm having issues with the 5GHz bit of it!  Some of my chromecasts lose being able to be seen by the home app (although work fine when I give them commands) and my amazon firestick often has quality issues.  Rebooting the router often fixes things for a short time, and then the problems come back...

To cut a long story short, I've narrowed down the issue to the 5GHz SSID of my talk talk router.  I actually use another router as an access point somewhere else in our house, too, and it's only the 5g TalkTalk router that has issues.  It works fine with laptops, but we've often had issues with some phones as well. 

I've now moved my talktalk router 5g to a different SSID so I can explicitly choose which devices use it and it's solved all my issues.  However, it's a little odd that so many devices don't like my talktalk router's version of 5g connection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Is my router faulty, or is it just a bit rubbish at 5g?

cheers

Bruce

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 1 of 42

Hello,

Please can you create your own topic and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

roylamonby
Popular Poster
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 42

Yes my Talktalk router has been doing the same as yours . 

and I have another router connected to main Talktalk and this still works. Via its 5g

power up down restores Talktalk 5g

0 Likes

Message 3 of 42

Morning,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 4 of 42

Great indeed! Slightly disappointing that after all that meandering, it's as simple as a faulty (or rubbish) router. 🤣

Message 5 of 42

Great. Everything's working like it used to. Google nest speaker stays connected, firestick works great and all on one SSID. 

Thanks for the router. I've returned the old one 😊

Cheers

Bruce

Message 6 of 42

Morning,

Just checking back in to see how you're getting on?

Thanks

Message 7 of 42

@talkwhatever wrote:

Oh yes you can @ferguson ! Try it. 😁

Apple allows their 1st party app access to private APIs that other apps can't use.

I did and it didn't work. So I tried the old trick of removing and reinstalling the app and bingo! it works now. Many thanks for the heads up.

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 42

I've just read some of your other posts @ferguson and see that you often like to express your opinion. So maybe consult this Apple article to help you give more accurate info in future. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203068

The info on how wireless roaming works might help you too

0 Likes

Message 9 of 42

@ferguson wrote:

@talkwhatever wrote:

Just FYI, you can wifi scan on iOS too. Use Airport Utility from Apple. Go into Settings -> Airport Utility and turn on Wi-Fi Scanner. Then look top right in the app itself. Magic and very handy when fault finding!

It's also built into Wireless Diagnostics on Mac. Option click on the WiFi menu in the menubar and choose Open Wireless Diagnostics... and then choose Scan from the Window menu.

Not without any AirPort devices you can't.  😕

Oh yes you can @ferguson ! Try it. 😁

Apple allows their 1st party app access to private APIs that other apps can't use.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 42

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered the replacement router, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 42

@talkwhatever wrote:

Just FYI, you can wifi scan on iOS too. Use Airport Utility from Apple. Go into Settings -> Airport Utility and turn on Wi-Fi Scanner. Then look top right in the app itself. Magic and very handy when fault finding!

It's also built into Wireless Diagnostics on Mac. Option click on the WiFi menu in the menubar and choose Open Wireless Diagnostics... and then choose Scan from the Window menu.

Not without any AirPort devices you can't.  😕

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 12 of 42

Ha. I understood that. Just thought it might be helpful info generally…

Message 13 of 42

Ha! I wasn't having a dig at apple.... It's just I don't have an ios device! 

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 14 of 42

Odd, but positive. 👍

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 15 of 42

0 Likes

Message 16 of 42

I have, today, factory reset the router to see if that helps (also, I've stopped connecting the firestick and nest audio to 5g on the TT router a while ago and that has helped......).

Cheers

Bruce

0 Likes

Message 17 of 42

I check what channel and strength all my neighbours access points are on to choose channels (using android wifi scanning apps). I don't have connection issues at all with anything other than firesticks and nest audio and both types of device connecting to my other access point (which is connected to the TT router via home plug) don't have the same issues. 

It may well be a combination of factors, but after many months of on and off troubleshooting the main clues points to the TT router (whether that's a fault, or just a 'feature' of that particulate router, I'm unsure).

Cheers

Bruce

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 18 of 42

Oddly? 🤔

Maybe try a different channel, even though you said there is no conflict/interference. I found 149 really unreliable recently and going to 52 helped. Not sure if your TT system will go about 48 though.

Try 40MHz (or even 20MHz) width rather than 80MHz if you're still on the 5GHz band. Less chance for an interferer to hit your band.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 42

Hi.  It's still behaving quite oddly (with the firestick, and the nest speaker TBH).  I'm thinking it would be good to try another router to rule that out, if that's ok.

cheers

Bruce

Message 20 of 42

Hi Bruce

How are you getting on, how's the connection been?

Would you like me to send a replacement router for testing?