cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

talktalk router 5GHz issues

DrWig
Team Player
Private Message
Message 42 of 42

I've got the latest (I think) talk talk router, but I'm having issues with the 5GHz bit of it!  Some of my chromecasts lose being able to be seen by the home app (although work fine when I give them commands) and my amazon firestick often has quality issues.  Rebooting the router often fixes things for a short time, and then the problems come back...

To cut a long story short, I've narrowed down the issue to the 5GHz SSID of my talk talk router.  I actually use another router as an access point somewhere else in our house, too, and it's only the 5g TalkTalk router that has issues.  It works fine with laptops, but we've often had issues with some phones as well. 

I've now moved my talktalk router 5g to a different SSID so I can explicitly choose which devices use it and it's solved all my issues.  However, it's a little odd that so many devices don't like my talktalk router's version of 5g connection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?  Is my router faulty, or is it just a bit rubbish at 5g?

cheers

Bruce

0 Likes
41 REPLIES 41

Message 21 of 42

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your reply.

Would you like to monitor the connection for a little longer or would you prefer for me to send a replacement router for testing? (rule out any faults with your router)

0 Likes

Message 22 of 42

Still some issues with the 5G signal so close to the firestick (so haven't tested with the google nest products yet).  I need to run some tests with an HDMI extension cable to see if it is, indeed, just near-field effects......I'm in for the long haul, so will report back 🙂

Some interesting additions on the admin panel with that firmware, too (guest SSIDs for example)

cheers

Bruce

Message 23 of 42
0 Likes

Message 24 of 42

Hi Bruce

No problem 🙂

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 25 of 42

That was quick!  Thanks :-). I'll retest later.

cheers

Bruce

Message 26 of 42

Hi Bruce

The firmware has now updated, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 27 of 42

Hi Bruce

Thanks for your reply.

I will start the firmware update now, please can you keep the router powered up and I will post back to confirm once the firmware update has been completed.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 28 of 42

Yes please.  I think the version I'm currently on is: SG4K100136 (I assume that's the firmware version?)

Many thanks

Bruce

Message 29 of 42

Hi Bruce

I can update your router firmware to see if this helps. Would you like me to arrange this?

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 30 of 42

@DrWig wrote:

You may be right about odd near-field effects (at least for the firestick....and perhaps it's the single SSID issue for my nest speakers?)

I had a bunch of random wifi issues on my previous AP. So I bit the bullet and went for a UniFi 802.11ax. It's been rock solid. Streaming great to my HomePods (although they use peer-to-peer networking from my AppleTV 4k). I have an Openreach modem, so I'm free of any TalkTalk router and wifi cheapness.

FMMV

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 31 of 42

Quite loud, so clutching a straws, stretch the router away for a test.

I had a little DuckDuckGo and found others getting much better throughput. But others, yada yada the opposite

https://www.reddit.com/r/firetvstick/comments/gbg4k1/comment/g2y2kzw/ says they fixed it with a better router! Oh, back to the start of the thread!! 😉 

Message 32 of 42

yes.  I looked at that too. 

The 2.4G signal strength (at the stick) is very hot indeed (-20dBm with a noise floor of -87dBm)

The 5G signal strength is a lower -37dBm with a noise floor of -87dBm

Definitely sticking to the 2G network for now.  My laptop seems fine on either (in the same room, not quite as close, obvs!)

You may be right about odd near-field effects (at least for the firestick....and perhaps it's the single SSID issue for my nest speakers?)

cheers

Bruce

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 33 of 42

Hmmm, lies, damn lies, and IT equipment!

Message 34 of 42

Testing the 4k firestick on the 5G dedicated network is even worse than before.  It'll connect fine, but speed test is <1mbps (on 2.4GHz it's currently 67mbps) and it'll hang when trying to start a video.  Signal to noise for both 2.4G and 5G is reported as high (i.e. good!) on the firestick for both connections.......

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 35 of 42

Haha, the organic up-time detector!

You mentioned earlier about nulls, so you might get some joy by eliminating nasty near field effects by separating the stick and AP if you can. The graph on that page illustrates how signals become very loud very quickly at short distances (under 1m).

Message 36 of 42

no, absolutely.  I'm keen to find a solution, too (and put it out there in case others have a similar issue - the current solution is to connect the firestick etc. via the 2.4GHz network on my talktalk router, or either on the access point.  This means the firestick is currently connected via 2.4GHz only due to the close proximity to the TT router).  To see if it's a 'same SSID' issue, I could reconnect my firestick to the new 5GHz SSID and see if the problems come back.....

I'll report back....my kids soon let me know when anything is wrong 😄

cheers

Bruce

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 37 of 42

Makes sense Bruce!

@DrWig wrote:

...the firestick is right next to the router...

Whilst I'm tossing ideas around, perhaps the super loud signal is annoying the stick? 

I guess you have a solution, so I should leave alone. But if you were still curious (like I am), you could try separating them a little... 😉 

Message 38 of 42

Thanks.  Yes, I've checked all channels etc. using a wifi scanner and set appropriately.  No issues there.  Also, the firestick is right next to the router (and I've checked it's not in a 'null' as far as I can tell - speed tests on the stick report about 60mbps).  It just seems to be devices that try and stay always connected, from what I can tell.  Anything 'always on' and connected via the access point don't have any issues at all.

cheers

Bruce

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 39 of 42

Just a thought. Have you checked what channels your Access Points are using? Specifically, you want them to use different ones (unless you're wifi extending) so they don't self-interfere. But also, try to find channels that don't clash with strong signals (–40 - –60dBm) from your neighbours. 

Your issue probably isn't this, but perhaps worth eliminating...

DrWig
Team Player
Private Message
Message 40 of 42

Thanks for the quick reply.  Interestingly, the same (and older) Chromecast devices have no issues with the same SSID being used on my other router (setup as an access point using Homeplug up 1 floor, which is one thing that helped me narrow it down).    When I said chromecast devices, I really meant Google Nest speakers and an old Chromecast audio....apologies!

So, I used to have four channels all on the same SSID

TT router 5g - SSID1

TT router 2g- SSID1

AP 5g - SSID1

AP 2g - SSID1

Now, I have it as follows:

TT router 5g - SSID2

TT router 2g- SSID1

AP 5g - SSID1

AP 2g - SSID1

Not a massive deal, but interesting that 5g on the TT router is problematic for devices that stay constantly connected (firesticks and nest speakers)

cheers

Bruce

0 Likes