email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email on iphone error message no password provided

Janc1
Participant
Message 25 of 25

Emails on my iPhone would not update today. Came up account error. ‘No password provided for TalkTalk go to mail account settings and enter a password’

i followed these instructions but did not solve problem. I reset my password still nothing. Deleted account and tried to re add it.  Comes up New account, on IMAP incoming/outgoing server settings correctly auto install. Goes to verify then comes up with same error of ‘No password provided etc’. Removed the dots that show for password and put password in but still no, can’t go to settings etc as no account set up so I clicked on ‘next’ it sets up account but says ‘this account may not be able to send or receive emails. I saved anyway but does not show any of my emails and can’t receive. Anyone help?  Losing will to live. Spent nearly 2 hours on live chat they did not understand kept saying will check connectivity, no engineers available etc then sent me email showing how to add/delete email accounts. 
I can log into my emails via the web on my 

laptop and phone so know I have correct password and nothing wrong with internet.  Please does anyone have a solution 🙏

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

Message 1 of 25

That's great. Thanks for posting back to let us know it's sorted. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 2 of 25

Hi Ady. 
Relief.  😅 All back and working. 
Thank you 

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 25

Hi Janc1, I'm told we've fixed this now and your mail should work in a mail client again now. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 25

Hi Janc1, the team are investigating this to identify the cause and then to get the fix in place for you. Hopefully, there won't be too long to wait for the fix. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Yes thank you Gondola, took me a little while to find where to look for it but got it now 😁

Message 6 of 25

Hi Thank you for your post.  Gondola has been assisting me with this but not it would seem that it may be an issue with talktalk so a 'fault ticket' has been raised.   I am not very technology savvy so know nothing about why there are 3 talk talk smpt server displays.  The EE one is I think a back up incase talktalk is down. I have an icloud account for my icloud email account but this has never shown under my talk talk email settings.    

0 Likes

Message 7 of 25

Thank you Ady, have updated my profile.  Just accessing your message and following instructions.  

Gondola
Community Star
Message 8 of 25

Hi Jan

Have you picked up Ady's Personal Message? Select your avatar top right of this page and select the envelope icon.

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2021

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Best answer is + Accept as Solution

Message 9 of 25

Thank you for that information Gondola.  I have updated my profile and will wait to hear from Talk talk support.  Again thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 25

Thank you Gondola.  I worked through each of these steps and it just kept circling back to the same problem 😞

0 Likes

TheHornedOne
Insightful One
Message 11 of 25

At 22-07-2021 06:42 PM, the 22-07-2021 06:10 PM post was surreptitiously 'edited' without formal acknowledgement, and of the seven screenshots displayed originally, three have been removed, which renders fault finding more difficult!

However, the passwords are not 'missing' at all, the system suppresses the password display when screen shot is activated!

The advised TalkTalk account set up procedure is way out of date, and may be ignored.

The so called 'trick' was actually a well documented, and authorised, means to force a manual set up, and hasn't been necessary for some while - more particularly with iOS 14.7 [20210719] - because setting up a new account presents a 'New Account' IMAP / POP dialogue ................

New Account.PNG

Additionally, applying this 'trick' to the password is not an option either, since the application records that data, and can make further use of it, with adverse results!

This I suspect is why there are three TalkTalk SMTP server displays, in addition to the EE entry - unless you know differently @Janc1 - but where is the default iCloud account? 

~R.

Message 12 of 25

Hi janc1, you've got no details in your profile to allow me to check further so I've sent you a personal message. 

Ady

Message 13 of 25

Hi Janc1 

Prepare for TalkTalk Mail Support by including in your Community Profile:

• Your name, current TalkTalk home 'phone number. An alternative (mobile preferred) contact number. Full address with postcode (Location)
  • Scroll down to Private notes to add your email address, notes etc
  • After checking and updating, Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

Having worked through some scenarios today with other customers I'm convinced that TalkTalk have restricted some legacy mail accounts and I've alerted TalkTalk Support because I now believe this requires a TalkTalk fault ticket. You should get a response here next week.

Message 14 of 25

Hi Janc1 

All of the settings are correct. Except for the missing password for both the incoming and outgoing server.  You see where it says go to Mail Account settings and enter a password. Does that not work?  It should work and allow you to enter the password.

Just recheck the new password is working in webmail.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and password, select Sign in.  But once you've checked then sign out of webmail to make sure a multiple sign in isn't the cause of a problem when the iPhone connects.

In the initial setup of an email account on the iPhone 6s on the New Account screen there's four boxes to fill in:

• Name
  • Email
  • Password
  • Description

If you need to go back and try again then connect the iPhone to Wi-Fi and check it's got an Internet connection. Delete the email account on the iPhone, power off the iPhone, repower and:

• Select Settings from the main icons screen
  • Select Mail
  • Select Accounts
  • Select Add account
  • Select Other
  • Select Add Mail Account
    then you're on the New Account screen as described

On filling in the New Account boxes and selecting Next the iPhone should then try and connect to the TalkTalk Mail server to verify the setup.  If you needed to enter the manual setup mode to enter IMAP server settings there is a trick to force that and that is to enter the wrong password. The auto setup fails, the phone goes into manual setup and you then go back to correct the password after just as it's indicating now.

You should be able to enter the password when first setting up the account and when connecting to the TalkTalk server. But other than the password, all the other manual settings are good.

Message 15 of 25

Hi Gondola, thank you so much for helping me with this. My phone is an iPhone 6S. Attached screenshots of settings etc. 

0AA8B94D-DE0D-4F65-9B02-7734761A0ADA.png

264D7BAE-5418-41CD-B425-1DFA0B858247.png

DC80BFDF-D318-43F2-A722-29DD290A069A.png

528F3B5F-A7F6-4E29-8774-4CD31E2C19FC.png

0 Likes

Message 16 of 25

What model of iPhone is it?  Take screenshots of the manual settings and upload here using the picture icon above this Reply area.

Janc1
Participant
Message 17 of 25

Hi Gondola.  Ok followed instructions.  Deleted and then re added account.  Starts off well saying 'Looking Up Account'  'Veriyfying' then box comes up 'No password provided for Talktalk.  Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password.  I can't do this as it is not yet set up so click OK to clear box leaving the New Account page showing IMAP,  my name, email address,  description incoming and outgoing servers and passwords showing as dots.  I clear the dots and reput in my passwords.  I click next - it then loops back to No password provided so I click ok then 'Next'  it then comes up with a box saying 'This account may not be able to send or receive emails are you sure you want to save?  I choose to save.  Go to my talktalk Inbox on my phone, it says no Mail - I check for mail.  I get 'Account Error: Talktalk click on details and back to No password provided etc.  I sent a test email from my phone to myself and it sends and I can pick it up on webmail but it does not show on my phone even though I BCC and CC myself and there is no Sent mail box for talktalk  account oon my phone  just empty inbox.  

0 Likes

Message 18 of 25

Next step is to remove the email account from the iPhone and add it again. Here's the Help page to guide you. Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Message 19 of 25

yes just checked and my email address is added to my current talk talk account.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 20 of 25

And just to confirm, before going into troubleshooting mode, that the talktalk.net email address is added to your current TalkTalk customer MyAccount. You should see it listed in My Mailboxes here.