cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

How to get IMAP access reinstated?

95_40
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Cannot access emails from iOS app (iPad and iPhone) and windows PC since 18 Feb.

was updated in time on iOS apps but not on the PC by elderly user.

one email address is fine the other is not , webmail is accessible with password but elderly user struggling as not used to it.

how do we now get this unlocked ?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hi 95_40, I've added you to the list of those to be restored to full service.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Certainly capable of secure mail and the settings you've described (with others not described) will authenticate an IMAP secure account as soon as TalkTalk Support restore IMAP access.  e.g. for Windows Mail all the tick boxes in the Sync Options need to be ticked and Outlook requires authentication by password etc.

I've requested full access and TalkTalk Support will respond right here.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 5

Thanks @Gondola 

just visited and ascertained 

She has an iPad 5th generation on IOS 16.2 - settings are on Mail.Talktalk.net / smtp with SSL on and ports 993/587

she has an iPhone 6s on 15.7.3 settings same as above

she has a windows 11 pc running the windows Mail (backup) and also an outlook 2021 set to imap.talktalk.net:993:1 and smtp :587:0

I believe I’ve updated the customer profile with the required info please let me know next steps.

Many thanks

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

Good to see that your user is keeping in touch via webmail even though the presentation is not quite what they're used to.

The user would have received a message from TalkTalk advising "Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this, from 17th February you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software".

This means one or more devices like the iPhone, iPad or PC were using insecure settings and because previous notifications to update the settings were not followed the last resort action by TalkTalk was to stop the use of insecure mail by removing IMAP access leaving just webmail access.

So the offer is here to help your user update the settings correctly on all devices making a connection to the mailbox. To start with I'd like to check compatibility with secure mail. Please therefore let me know the device model, the operating system version, the email software and the email version and whether the email account is a POP3 or IMAP email account. e.g. Windows PC, Windows 10, Thunderbird 102.8, IMAP account etc.

And then to check that the user has accounted for all devices and software that could be making a connection to the mailbox. Any additional mail collection service, other desktop, laptop, notebook, other tablet, other phone? All devices and services must now use secure settings.

I'll provide guides below to assist. As soon as it's clear that secure settings are available and in hand I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. NB the email apps will not authenticate a password until full access is restored.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Account holder name, TalkTalk home 'phone number (if not Data Only broadband)

Alternative mobile contact number. Full address with postcode (in the Location box)

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address and customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Windows PC

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPhone

Setting up TalkTalk email on iPad

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution