cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Is Microsoft Outlook 2010 suddenly not working for anybody else?

RAMac
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 40

We have suddenly had problems on a laptop where we have two users and both of us have the same problem. On that computer we are using Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 and starting this up is not a problem. However, as soon as send / receive operates, the MS program shuts down within seconds. If I shut down access to the internet the program stays open but as soon as internet access is allowed the MS Outlook programme closes down.

By testing in various ways I am clear that emails can be sent and received but unless working off line it is not possible to see these as it shuts down too quickly.

I have tried everything I know, including removing and reloading from disk, the whole of MS Office 2010 and keep getting the same problem.

We use a desktop with MS Outlook 2016 in use and that i working fine, Webmail seems to be working (on both computers) but I do not like using it, and our telephones still seem to be O.K.

Overall, all I can think of is that somehow TALKTALK have changed something specific to Outlook 2010 and before I invest in another later package or get professional help, is this (rather like the sub-postmasters and Horizon) only my problem or have others experienced similar?

39 REPLIES 39

Message 1 of 40

Hi @6589235 

Thanks for the recommendation for eM Client. There are a number of existing members that successfully use eM Client set up for IMAP secure or secure POP3 so welcome to a small but select group of eM Client and TalkTalk Mail users.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 40

Hi because of the problem which has impacted outlook 2010  i have just decided to migrate  my email accounts to  a new email client  called  eM Client

this has allowed me to keep my existing  email accounts with BT and Talktalk  .  This seems to be a good solution as it automaticaly imported the settings from my outlook 2010  client  and started working through talktalk with no issues .  The pro version has to be paid for but the free version allows two email accounts  which suited me . 

This may be an option for those that wish to keep  working with their existing email accounts

Message 3 of 40

@BertH wrote:...One thing I do see is that new email messages still show up via windows notifications (taskbar notification area) but when clicked on It opens Outlook but no new message.

Interesting.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 40

Gondola,

When you select Manage account in the settings you can view the incoming and outgoing server configuration settings. Microsoft do not permit changes to the Incoming and outgoing server settings. You want to make a change you have to remove the account and set up afresh with the required settings. But why would you change from the recommended settings? Except for test purposes of course."

Exactly, it was just to confirm the settings had not been changed/corrupted, in Mail you can edit the account settings but as you say in Outlook you have to create a new account, even then for me it seems to auto fill the settings.

All was working fine before Wed, I had made no changes and don't recall any updates from Microsoft on that day.

One thing I do see is that new email messages still show up via windows notifications (taskbar notification area) but when clicked on It opens Outlook but no new message.

Thanks 

BertH

0 Likes

Message 5 of 40

Hi BertH 

When you select Manage account in the settings you can view the incoming and outgoing server configuration settings. Microsoft do not permit changes to the Incoming and outgoing server settings. You want to make a change you have to remove the account and set up afresh with the required settings. But why would you change from the recommended settings? Except for test purposes of course.

I can confirm that BT Mail is working via Outlook for Windows aka New Outlook. So it's not that New Outlook is not functioning its simply the connection to TalkTalk that's not functioning.

The mail header actually looks normal sending from TalkTalk to BT Mail. It's got my public IP address as the originating IP, using TalkTalk Mail appsuite and sending out from Open Xchange mailer via the TalkTalk SMTP senders direct to BT's Synchronoss mail platform.

The mail header sending from BT Mail using New Outlook to TalkTalk has some MS Exchange header info and a message ID tagged outlook.com and the originating IP is not my public IP address but a Microsoft IP address.  However, the mail is authenticated and is accepted by TalkTalk.

bildlilli55
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 40

I updated my email to the latest version of Outlook, on Windows 11 desktop in January this year. Everything was working perfectly, then suddenly last week, on Wednesday  I could no longer send or receive. I can still receive email to my iPhone but as I work online and I have a lot of email, this is causing real problems for me. Anyone else had the same problem and found a fix

0 Likes

Message 7 of 40

Hi Gondola,

Yes fair point, when registering with Outlook it does reference the "Microsoft Cloud" which I believe Windows Mail does not.

Also I have not been able to find how to tweek the Outlook account settings for TalkTalk as you can in Mail, it just seems to carry them over from Mail but shows less detail. Be useful to know if other internet providers are having similar problems.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 40

Sorry, your point is?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 40

Since May 2022,  V.M. no longer offer an email facility to new customers. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 40

@IK-BRUNEL wrote:

"Not Virgin Media O2,"      Yes they do... How do I know??

Not to new customers they don't.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 40

"Not Virgin Media O2,"      Yes they do... How do I know??

0 Likes

Message 12 of 40

Good to know that Windows Mail is still working for you. I have the same malfunctioning Outlook App Version: 1.2024.306.400 in Windows 11.

Windows Mail made direct connection to the TalkTalk servers and mailbox. 

My understanding is that New Outlook goes via Microsoft servers because Microsoft say they store and sync your emails in the Microsoft Cloud. The Microsoft servers are not making a connection to the TalkTalk servers. Is the connection just failing authentication? There's no way of users knowing because there's no error messages from Microsoft back to the user. Any fail messages from TalkTalk go to Microsoft and are not passed to the user.

0 Likes

BertH
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 40

Hi All,

Same Issue for me with New Outlook, no new emails from Wed 13th March.

Switching back to Windows Mail (Via Toggle top right) and emails show up ok.

For Info I am using the Outlook App Version: 1.2024.306.400 in Windows 11 Pro 23H2.

Message 14 of 40

Hi 6589235 

Microsoft say that Outlook 2010 is obsolete. Upgrade Outlook 2010.

Good luck with finding a new ISP to provide you with an email service. Not one of TalkTalk's comparable competitors offers new customers any email service. Not any of the BT Group including EE, BT or Plusnet, Not Virgin Media O2, Sky or Vodafone.

There are some good email services from smaller ISP's like Zen and Aquiss for example and some really good and well supported paid for mail services for example from The Very Good Email Company. And then the free mail services from Gmail, Yahoo Mail and Outlook.com (Microsoft Mail).

Do let us know which one you choose.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 40

Sadly you’ve accurately described the problem! My work around for the time being is to go into settings and disable auto checking for mails. That means outlook stays open and can be used locally and then when you manually check for mails it picks them up and closes as described, but you can then reopen it and work on them.

Not a good thing long term but I hope helpful until you make the change

0 Likes

First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 40

Hi

yes i have exactly the same problem which started  this week ,I  have been using outlook 2010  because it suits me not to upgrade to newer versions or subscription service .  if i  start outlook and  then set it offline  before it closes then i am still able to view all of my mails etc. it will also receive new emails on start up .  if i leave it in online state then after about 20seconds it will close and then  i am not able to keep it open .

I will probably now look to move to another internet provider  as talktalk are  unlikely to want to resolve this problem  as in their eyes  outlook 2010 is a defunct program which was  perfectly useable until last week  .

0 Likes

Message 17 of 40

Many thanks for a positive, friendly and informative message

C

0 Likes

Message 18 of 40

Hi John. Thanks for your knowledge and recommendation.

0 Likes

jbuchanangb
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 19 of 40

I count myself as an older person (>70) and have been using the Microsoft email client to access my email since before time began. I had an @compuserve account in 1995 and I remember it took 3 hours to download the MS Exchange Client over the dial-up line (14.4kbps). Joined @Tiscali in 2002 with ADSL (256kbps). I have moved through Windows from Workgroups 3.1 to Windows XP, (avoiding Windows ME) Windows 2000, then Vista and Windows 7 (avoiding Windows 8 which had a bad press) and Windows 10. Now running Windows 11 with Office 365. The look and feel of the Microsoft email client is still the same. I steered clear of Outlook Express and Windows LiveMail, although I did some tests with them in passing. I have also avoided Windows Mail, which is the thing which has just morphed into "New Outlook". I can recommend Office 365. I use it to access one @Tiscali, one @talktalk, one @hotmail and one @gmail account.

Now surfing from a Dell Inspiron 3881 running Windows 11 and a Qualcomm QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter with Sagemcom FAST 5364 router.

Message 20 of 40

What TalkTalk software changes? I don't see any software changes. The original poster of this topic reported that Outlook 2016 and TalkTalk Mail webmail are working normally.

There is no Service Status Notification for Email because there is no service issue for Email. TalkTalk Mail is working normally. Webmail is working normally. IMAP secure and secure POP3 connections are working normally.

Here's my notification to all:

Anyone using out of date deprecated Outlook 2007 email software must cease using it now.

Anyone using out of date deprecated Outlook 2010 email software must cease using it now.

This is a customer to customer notification to every customer and any customer not heeding this notification is required to place themselves on the naughty step.