cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Is Microsoft Outlook 2010 suddenly not working for anybody else?

RAMac
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 40

We have suddenly had problems on a laptop where we have two users and both of us have the same problem. On that computer we are using Microsoft Office Outlook 2010 and starting this up is not a problem. However, as soon as send / receive operates, the MS program shuts down within seconds. If I shut down access to the internet the program stays open but as soon as internet access is allowed the MS Outlook programme closes down.

By testing in various ways I am clear that emails can be sent and received but unless working off line it is not possible to see these as it shuts down too quickly.

I have tried everything I know, including removing and reloading from disk, the whole of MS Office 2010 and keep getting the same problem.

We use a desktop with MS Outlook 2016 in use and that i working fine, Webmail seems to be working (on both computers) but I do not like using it, and our telephones still seem to be O.K.

Overall, all I can think of is that somehow TALKTALK have changed something specific to Outlook 2010 and before I invest in another later package or get professional help, is this (rather like the sub-postmasters and Horizon) only my problem or have others experienced similar?

39 REPLIES 39

Message 21 of 40

"You expect TalkTalk to proactively notify you personally but how does TalkTalk know that you use New Outlook?"

Very easy to inform everyone on the platform... before suddenly  altering the software... no warning... sod all the users..

0 Likes

Message 22 of 40

It's not just Tiscali users it's all TalkTalk Mail users of New Outlook. What do you expect - a personal message and apology from Microsoft that Microsoft servers for New Outlook are not communicating with TalkTalk servers?

Issues happen and I'm confident on the investigation to identify the root cause. Is it even a TalkTalk issue?

The fact is that TalkTalk Mail is working perfectly normally for both webmail and via IMAP email clients that are up to date on supported OS and using secure mail like Thunderbird and BlueMail and Apple Mail etc.

You expect TalkTalk to proactively notify you personally but how does TalkTalk know that you use New Outlook?

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 23 of 40

Gondola  

"Correct. New Outlook or Outlook for Windows does not work currently with any TalkTalk Mail domain because I've tested using talktalk.net addresses. The Microsoft servers are not making a connection to the TalkTalk servers and it's impossible for users to know why because there is no error message offered via Microsoft or New Outlook. So this is awaiting investigation by TalkTalk to see what they can see at their end".

Well that's good to know, but why don't TalkTalk inform their Tisacli customers of this? This breakdown has happened before and TalkTalk never inform the Tiscali email users, we're just left in the dark.

Message 24 of 40

@CAMR1 wrote:...Thanks for your reply, although not helpful I’m afraid. You’re obviously knowledgeable... but the way to keep us is to look after us, give us warning of damaging change and hold hands when necessary thus helping us feel safe in a technically challenging world.

I don't even know what email software you're using because you haven't said. All you've indicated is "me too" and "sort it or I'm leaving".

Not exactly helpful to anyone. This topic is about the out of date Outlook 2010 email software from Microsoft that Microsoft informed users "Support for Office 2010 ended on October 13, 2020 and there will be no extension and no extended security updates."

So, I ask again, are you using Outlook 2010? If you are do you require any 'hand-holding' assistance to upgrade to a working supported email product?

0 Likes

Message 25 of 40

@Mancini wrote:...The Tiscali email doesn't work witht the current Outlook either.!!

Correct. New Outlook or Outlook for Windows does not work currently with any TalkTalk Mail domain because I've tested using talktalk.net addresses. The Microsoft servers are not making a connection to the TalkTalk servers and it's impossible for users to know why because there is no error message offered via Microsoft or New Outlook. So this is awaiting investigation by TalkTalk to see what they can see at their end.

Is your comment relevant to this topic that's about use of outdated, insecure email products that nobody supports and some users feel warranted individual notification about not using? Well TalkTalk have issued notifications to users of these products at least in two lengthy notification sessions to my knowledge over the period 2020 - 2022. Microsoft have also published end of life notifications. Perhaps you have a comment on why these users ignore such notifications just because the products happen to keep working so they think they're not affected or their use of insecure mail does not puts the whole of TalkTalk Mail at risk?

0 Likes

Message 26 of 40

Gondola,

The Tiscali email doesn't work witht the current Outlook either.!!

0 Likes

Message 27 of 40

Talk Talk, should have given ample warning, that this was being implemented.  

So typical... of them.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 40

Thanks for your reply, although not helpful I’m afraid. You’re obviously knowledgeable but I’d guess the majority of customers like me, use the service without understanding or having any interest in the nuts and bolts, nor any knowledge of how to make changes to settings, let alone full scale revamps.

That shouldn’t make us less valued by our supplier and the way to keep us is to look after us, give us warning of damaging change and hold hands when necessary thus helping us feel safe in a technically challenging world. After all, we pay the bulk of the bills, I’d guess. In this case, my records, comms and other essential parts of everyday modern life have been withdrawn without prior warning or explanation. If you had a Tesla or similar and one morning it simply wouldn’t go – you might feel the same?

I’m not sure whether you represent Talktalk or are just an interested bystander, and I gather from the tone of your messages on this subject you probably feel the fault is mine, but the result is that after many years as a loyal customer I shall finally take one of the offers that regularly come and move supplier, as Talktalk don’t seem to care.

It’s a shame

Message 29 of 40

@CAMR1 wrote:...Yes, I have the same problem

The same problem being what exactly? Using out of date unsupported email software?

CAMR1
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 30 of 40

Yes, I have the same problem

C

0 Likes

Message 31 of 40

Well @RAMac and @IK-BRUNEL 

I'm sorry you feel I'm not being helpful. No, I'm definitely not going to ask TalkTalk to support either Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2007. These are both deprecated products with security issues. Nobody should use these products. TalkTalk has already notified previously and limited users to webmail only access when they use these products with their security failings. 

So for you and anybody else Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007 are NOT supported by Microsoft or TalkTalk. 

@RAMac You said you have Outlook 2016 and that is working fine. That is because Outlook 2016 is still currently supported by both Microsoft and TalkTalk Mail. Webmail is still working so use that to keep in contact. Thunderbird and BlueMail are also free and available for use on suitable Operating Systems. I'm sorry you seem to have missed or ignored TalkTalk's previous notifications about ceasing the use of insecure connections to your TalkTalk mailbox.

End of support for Office 2010

Message 32 of 40

Many thanks for this - I came to this site for help, having spent a couple of days trying to work out what we had done as we are about to go off for a few days and taking the laptop so that we can stay in contact.

Your comments sum up my feelings. The response from Gondola has not been at all helpful (or worse?) and perhaps TalkTalk could do something to reverse matters. Microsoft Outlook 2010 has not changed and I accept that Microsoft is no longer supporting this version BUT is this any reason for TalkTalk to suddenly change things and make our usage almost impossible?

If there were security issues I cannot understand why they suddenly came to light just a few days ago and surely TalkTalk could have advised something rather than suddenly "pull the plug" and cause all of us users grief and a lot of effort to try and resolve an issue that we had done nothing to cause.

My suggestion is that many older people (myself included) like to use what they are used to and having to change to something new can be awkward, especially if using multi platforms.

No apologies as I was upset by the original Gondola response as well of course by wasting almost two whole days trying to sort out the problem. The latest post by Gondola is also dismissive and certainly does not help!

Thanks to everybody who responded.  

Message 33 of 40

@Gondola 

Perhaps...... if you should try do something useful, instead of your "far too clever remarks"

Why not ask/pursuade T.T.'s email provider to reverse whatever they did on Thursday eve.

IKBRUNEL_0-1710638641064.png

Message 34 of 40

Perhaps if I put it in big print there won't be any more posters...

Outlook 2010 is not supported by TalkTalk Mail.

ThePilgrim
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 35 of 40

I also have the same issue with Outlook 2010. I have or rather had 4 email accounts (two talktalk one tiscali and one lineone) running happily until this week. 

Message 36 of 40

I have exactly the same problem, on two different computers.

The problem appeared last Thurs. eve.

Webmail ok.  

I would like my old Outlook to be usable again.

Message 37 of 40

Outlook 2010 is not supported by TalkTalk Mail.

7fmtrnrsbdt
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 38 of 40

I have been able to replicate this problem with Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 computer, so it seems to have been caused by a change at TalkTalk's end.

Matthew Green.

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 39 of 40

It doesn't surprise me that Office 2010 or Outlook 2010 is crashing. It's way beyond end of life.  The products are deprecated and not supported by Microsoft. TalkTalk Mail does not support Outlook 2010 because it does not offer the required connection security.

So, the decision to cease using has it seems been taken out of your hands but for anyone still using Outlook 2010 with TalkTalk Mail then you risk having your mailbox restricted to webmail only access because of the security issues with Outlook 2010.

What Operating System are you using?  Later versions of Outlook 2016 are still supported although that reaches end of life support from Microsoft in 2025. If you wish to stay with Microsoft products then aim for newer version of Office or Office 365.