cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Lineone e-mail not working with Outlook/iPhone despite following instructions.

LondonAndy1970
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 13 of 13

I have had my Lineone e-mail address for over 20 years so hundreds of people now use it.

I got the "Important information about accessing your TalkTalk email service" e-mail on 16 February 2023 saying: 

We recently contacted you, asking you to update the settings on the app or software you use to access your TalkTalk email service. Our records show that you are still accessing your email using unencrypted email settings, because of this, from 17th February you will no longer be able to receive or send emails via this email app or software.

You will still be able to access, read, send, and receive your emails through our TalkTalk Webmail internet page. To access your email via this method, go to http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail - you will need your email address and password to log in.

Indeed my e-mail stopped working through Outlook/iPhone and I have been using webmail since.  I tried using the settings on the help page  https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-to-access-TalkTalk-emails/ta-p/2204399

However, I get the error message in Outlook "Something went wrong - we couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server.  Please check your e-mail address and password and try again".

I get a similar error message when I try to set up the account on my iPhone.

I no longer have TalkTalk broadband (we had fibre installed recently and TalkTalk didn't offer a broadband service, only BT).  I see that there is an option to continue to use Lineone e-mail addresses if you pay for Mail Plus - I'm happy to pay if this would solve the problem. https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/About-TalkTalk-Mail-Plus/ta-p/2374203

However, when I try and pay for it I have to log in and get the message:

It looks like you’re already an existing TalkTalk customer. Please login to My Account to manage your email account.

I have been in touch with TalkTalk (and them with me) about a dozen times, and no-one has been able to sort out this problem.  I seem to get mysteriously cut-off every time it comes to actually trying to resolve the problem.  I even had one agent tell me that TalkTalk don't offer e-mail any more, and that I should sign up to a gmail/hotmail account (which I would if it wasn't so much hassle).

Can someone help me please?

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Good to know you're back in action.

We do appreciate your time in letting us know. Thank you.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

LondonAndy1970
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 2 of 13

Thanks to @Gondola and @Ady-TalkTalk I am now able to use Outlook and my iPhone for e-mail again.  A sincere thanks to you both.

Just to give an update in case anyone else is reading this with the same problem....  if you are in a similar situation where you got an e-mail from TalkTalk saying that you would stop receiving e-mails then no matter how often you try to update the IMAP/SMTP settings to the ones published on the website it won't work until TalkTalk removes the block.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 13

Hi LondonAndy1970, the mailbox hasn't been restored yet. I've sent a chaser to my colleague to request that those outstanding be cleared. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 13

Hi LondonAndy1970 

Don't do anything until you hear back from Ady. He can check to see if the mailbox has been restored to full access.

Message 5 of 13

LondonAndy1970_0-1679508257793.png

.... and when I try Mail (which isn't my preferred desktop option - Outlook 2016 is) I get this.  I'm hesitating in deleting my Outlook lineone account, as it has a lot of history there, and I'm not convinced from the other apps/devices that it would work.

:-(.

Message 6 of 13

Thanks - I've waited for two days, and on my iPhone it says

"No password provided for "Lineone".  Please go to Mail Account Settings and enter a password"

I've done that and it still doesn't work.  I've deleted the e-mail account from my phone and started again, and it doesn't work.  I changed the password, and it doesn't work.

I can still access e-mail via webmail, but can you please help me get back online with Outlook 2016 and iPhone?

Thanks in advance.

Message 7 of 13

Hi LondonAndy1970, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 8 of 13

I couldn't quite tell from your screenshot if the password was strong enough. I always recommend a minimum of 12 multicase letters, added symbol and numbers for optimum security.

Message 9 of 13

Thanks again @Gondola.

I actually changed my password during one of the many phone calls/e-chats I've had with TalkTalk over the last month, therefore I assume that it meets the new criteria.

I look forward to hearing from TalkTalk in due course to confirm that the IMAP/POP has been unblocked.

Message 10 of 13

Hi LondonAndy1970 

The secure mail settings in Outlook are good so I've asked that full access is restored for the mailbox email address that you will have added to your Community profile, Personal information, Private notes.

TalkTalk Support will respond here next week and then restore IMAP4 / POP3 access as soon as reasonably possible. Until full access is switched back on, use TalkTalk Mail webmail via an up to date Internet browser to keep in touch with email contacts.

Whilst the secure settings are good I'm not confident that your lineone password is strong enough. If the password has been left unchanged for some time, that password may not meet the minimum requirements. I'd recommend a password upgrade but first check you do have password recovery options set up.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. A new password created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the lineone mailbox.

LondonAndy1970
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 11 of 13

Thanks for your message @Gondola - that was really clear.  I have put the e-mail address in private notes and have updated the settings in Outlook - please see below.

LondonAndy1970_2-1679134787774.png

LondonAndy1970_1-1679134688069.png

0 Likes

Gondola
Philosopher
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 13

Your devices will not log in to authenticate the password because IMAP / POP access has been switched off as an action of last resort to stop the use of insecure settings.

Good to know that webmail is working ok. So, we would like to help you identify the mail collection service / devices / software that has been using insecure settings and make sure you have the correct settings ready for when TalkTalk switch secure access on for you.

We can advise on device and software compatibility with TLS 1.2 encryption and provide customer setup guides. Just let us know each mail collection service, each device, its operating system and email software including version that are in current use.

For a definitive check of email settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

When you confirm the secure settings are ready I can request TalkTalk Support to restore full access. TalkTalk Support will respond here and access will be restored usually within a couple of working days.

Prepare for TalkTalk Support - include in the Community Profile (not in these public posts):

Email account holder name

Scroll down to Private notes to add the email address(es)
and TalkTalk or MailPlus customer account number

Check and Save changes

Select here: Update your profile

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

About TalkTalk Mail Plus