cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

New (improved !?!?!?!) Webmail

georgeh2011
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 9

First of all let me say that the ONLY times I use TalkTalk webmail are:

1. When there is another very annoying server authentication error preventing email access via Outlook and the client on my mobile.

2. If I need to send a quick email from a PC which is NOT mine (such as at work) and need to do something I can't (for various reasons) do on my mobile.

The ONLY thing I need changing in the current dire webmail is this:

Cant TalkTalk fix the God awful formatting it forces on you?

I HATE double spacing. I absolutely LOATHE it.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

You're absolutely right that all the devices are supported for TalkTalk Mail.

You've confirmed that TalkTalk may have suspended the mailbox pending deletion for non-use. This happens if the mailbox remains unused for 180 days or more. What we need to find out for you is whether the mailbox is deleted or suspended awaiting deletion that would normally happen around a year after the last successful login.

Mailboxes are flagged for deletion if the user doesn't sign in at least once every 180 days. The help page  Deleted Email error message explains more.

So first you'd check if the email address is still active. Send the email address a mail message and see if you get an immediate bounceback error message saying 'Undeliverable' that means the mailbox isn't active.

Then  enter the email address at Verifalia, an external website that verifies if an email address exists. Enter the email address, complete the reCAPTCHA and select the Validate button. Does the top line response say 'Deliverable' or something else?

Finally, use the Reset password now button in the Help page  Changing your email password to see if you get a deleted or no domain error message or if you actually do have password recovery options saved.

Let us know the outcome in each case.

If it looks likely that the mailbox address can be reinstated then I'll request that for you. But it's up to TalkTalk to make the final decision. If they agree then TalkTalk Support for Community  will need to verify you are the registered user for the email address so we need you to put that email address in your Community profile, Personal information, scroll down to Private notes, enter and save changes.  

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 9

Hi Gondola

Thanks for responding

I am looking to re-establish use of one or all of the following devices  to connect to the talktalk email server.  My Windows 11 based desktop PC utilising MS Outlook embedded in MS Office 2019 Pro Plus - My Apple iPad 4th Generation IOS Version 16.7.1 -  and My Samsung Galaxy S10e running Android Version 12. 

My understanding is that all of these support TLS 1.2 but the issue is that my email account has been disconnected from the talktalk email server it seems since around last February and although a loyal talktalk customer for many years, customer services/tech support are unwilling or unable to assist me in restoring that service.
If you are able to assist it would be much appreciated.
James
0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

Hi James

What's devices do you use for email software? What's the operating system version and the email software and version in use?

I ask because the device and email software must support secure mail using TLS 1.2 encryption as a minimum requirement.

Your email accounts must be linked to your customer MyAccount and the passwords must be unique to each address and meet or exceed the minimum security requirements. A weak password might be accepted in webmail but not via the IMAP / POP3 / SMTP mail servers. Passwords need to be at least 8 characters, I recommend 12 - 15, multicase letters and at least one number and one symbol from a defined group. 

If you need help setting up supported software I can help you.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

Please start your own thread, @jimmnymcjimmy123, by returning to the message board and clicking on Start a Topic.

Also complete your community forum profile details. If you need help from staff, they will be back after the weekend.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

jimmnymcjimmy123
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 9

I have now had three very long and unfruitful telephone discussions with talktalk's  customer service/tech support people and been given three different reasons why I an no longer able to connect any of my devices to their email servers. I am being told that:-

1). There is nothing wrong with your email just use our Webmail Service.

2). There is nothing wrong with your email - you just cant connect to our email servers because it is a third party software problem to do with your email client software and you will need to contact them to resolve the issue.

3). There is nothing wrong with your email you as you can log in and use our Web Mail Service - You can no longer connect to our email servers from your devices because of security issues and customers email getting hacked and our servers are now only able to connect with a very limited number and type of email client software - but are unable or unwilling to tell me what those limited email clients are so that I would be able to connect via them and restore the email service to what it should be.

Why am I getting the impression that this is not a technical issue but a deliberate commercial decision to force talktalk customers to use their Webmail site which appears to be a platform for targeted advertising. In other words it is being used as a means of generating additional revenue from advertisers. No doubt there is a cost saving too in not having to provide and or maintain POP3/IMAP email servers for all of its customers.

I have been a talktalk customer for many years but increasingly likely not to be very shortly if talktalk does not improve its service back to reasonable customer expectations.

James
0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

"Still supports" meaning hasn't stopped supporting.

0 Likes

georgeh2011
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 9

Still?

Is that some subtle hint that TalkTalk are thinking of discontinuing support for other email clients via (at a minimum) IMAP?

If they are, then I'm gone as a customer.

To be honest I don't care about this "new" webmail platform if it doesn't resolve the server authentication problems which have plagued TalkTalk email for YEARS.

When I joined TalkTalk over 10 years ago it never had webmail. I don't like the attitude of "if webmail works everything is fine". It is NOT.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

If TalkTalk Mail webmail is not for you then there's good news. TalkTalk Mail on the new OX Cloud 8 platform still supports IMAP and POP3 protocols for email client connections.

0 Likes