cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Not receiving emails from one sender

MikeSTech
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

My wife has a onetel.com email address and has discovered that in the past week or two emails from a particular gmail.com sender are no longer reaching her, and they are not going to spam/junk, despite having definitely been correctly addressed and sent.

She knows this because these emails have been reaching the only other recipient, a colleague, not a TalkTalk customer, who has forwarded them on to her once she realised she had not received them.

The last time she received an email from this sender was on 1st November and since then there have been at least two more, probably more, correctly addressed and sent emails which only reached the other recipient.

Please can you explain what needs to be done, and by whom, once and for all to correct this issue which appears to be quite widely experienced by other TalkTalk users, and to prevent it from happening in future?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Looks like that new address has triggered Cloudmarks filtering we've blocked 10s of thousands of mails from that Google IP address. Google will need to repair their reputation (MTA) on that address. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

Hi again Ady,

Here's another recent example, from a different trusted Gmail sender colleague this time, so I have added details and the relevant email address in my community profile private notes - please would you carry out 7-day checks before the window expires?

(Today my wife realised that she had not received an email that was correctly sent to her and three other recipients, none of them TT customers - one Gmail, one Yahoo and one Hotmail), last Sunday 26 Nov which is definitely within the past 7 days this time - she found out because she successfully received the reply that one of the other recipients (the Yahoo one) sent using "reply all" and could see the attached original missed 26 Nov message in which she was properly addressed as a recipient).

Thanks and I look forward to hearing further.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi MikeSTech, there's are lots of potential issues usually its the basic issue of cloudmark detecting the messages as suspected spam. I have tried in the past to get answers to these sort of issues from the Network team but have never really had an explanation that satisfied.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

OK Ady, thanks for that, understood.

Next time my wife becomes aware that she's not received a known correctly sent email from the sender in question, I'll aim to ask you within the 7-day window to do the checks.

I am still interested to know your/TT's thoughts on what's happening when known correctly sent emails are not received despite not being blocked, and what is the sequence of events - do incoming emails arrive at TT's servers before being scanned (by CloudMark or whoever) or afterwards, so that evidence of them having at least arrived somewhere can potentially be traced regardless of whether they subsequently got blocked or rejected downstream?

It seems to me this is a recipient (i.e. TT/Onetel ) issue rather than a sender issue (i.e. Gmail in this case) - am I right?

Thanks for your continued help.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Unfortunately, I don't have the access to run checks over any period over 7 days. The logs for just 1 day include many tens of millions of messages. Its a massive burden on the servers so we only have 7 day access.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your continued help Ady,

The last message to arrive successfully from the sender in question was on Wed 01/11 (there were two before that, on Wed 25/10 and Sun 29/10), after which none have been received, the first missing one having been sent on Thur 02/11 and the second on Fri 10/11, so the first one would not have fallen within your 7-day check period in any case while the second one may have done depending on when you carried out the check.

So it would be more conclusive to check over the period from Wed 01/11 to the present if possible to be sure that no blocks have been missed - please would you do that?

For clarity and better understanding, are you able to confirm that no messages from the sender in question with my wife's Onetel email address as recipient have reached TalkTalk's (CloudMark?) scanning system since Wed 01/11, regardless of whether or not there were any blocks in place after then?

If so, are you able to offer any insights as to where such "lost" messages might actually be going to, given they were correctly sent, if they were not blocked - what happened to them and is there a way to find out?  Otherwise, it seems we are no closer to understanding what is going wrong and from reading TT's Community posts this is clearly quite a common and persistent occurrence among TT's email customers.  Further tests and checks are needed to establish what is actually failing in cases such as these and correct it.  Please advise what is possible, if anything.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can do, or further information I can provide you with, to assist you.

Thanks once again.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Hi MikeSTech,  I've run 7 day checks on all of the email addresses provided and we're showing no blocks on any. 

Ady

0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi MikeSTech, I can see there are no forwards or filters. The mail scanner won't complete the checks at the moment. I'll retry again later this morning. I'll post back then.

Ady

0 Likes

Message 9 of 11

Hi Ady,

Thanks for your reply.

I have added the email addresses in question to my community profile private notes.

There are no user-defined email filter or forwarding rules for my wife's email address and never have been.

I look forward to hearing further.

0 Likes

Ady-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 10 of 11

Hi MikeSTech, please add the affected email address to private notes in your community profile and post back to let us know when you have so that I can check for filters and forwards etc

Ady

0 Likes