cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Recipient changed

donnachadelong
Team Player
Private Message
Message 6 of 6

I came across the weirdest bug last night. I replied to a person's email using webmail, but, this morning, I found it had sent to a completely different recipient who I had a emailed earlier in the day.

I can honestly say I can't see any way I would have done this myself - a simple accidental pasting wouldn't have done it as I had searched for the intended recipient.

With all the work you've been doing on the email systems, I suspect a gremlin.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

If there's no connection between the recipients then the only thing linking them is the copy and paste. Let us know if you replicate.

But I have a tip for you. The new email platform includes Undo Send Mail.

"Undo send“ is a new feature that gives you the ability to cancel sending an email shortly after you've clicked the "send" button. This feature is super handy if you have made a mistake, such as forgetting to attach a file or sending an email to the wrong recipient or simply hit "send“ by accident.

You can adjust the time to undo sending an email in Settings > Mail > Undo Send

OX Cloud 8 : Undo Send : 5-10sOX Cloud 8 : Undo Send : 5-10s

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Totally separate emails, no connection at all. So not a reply all situation. I'm not a newbie at this, I'm an online communication consultant!

But I really can't explain how it could have happened. To be honest, no harm done after I contacted Y and got them to delete the email they received.

I know a potential gremlin like this may not be repeatable. It could have been a system hiccup at 23:55 last night. But there's a record of it here in case it happens to anyone else. If not, hopefully the gremlin has died and gone to gremlin hell 😉

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

I think I understand what you did. So, let me see if I can replicate.

• You copied X email address and used that to send X a message
    Notepad contains X email address
  • You copied Y name and searched for her emails by her name to find an email to reply to
    Notepad contains Y name
  • You replied to Y but that was sent to X

So, when you hit Reply for Y's email did that come up with the modal asking you to Confirm recipient(s) and select Reply all or Reply to sender?

Or did you see a modal to compose and send the reply to the sender Y?

I understand your thinking that Notepad should not have contained X email address at the point of composing the reply to Y and I agree. So, was X also a recipient of the original message sent by Y to which you were replying?

If so, my diagnosis is you'd selected Reply all and X email was automatically included in the send to Y.

If not, then I'm not getting the exact steps replicated.

0 Likes

donnachadelong
Team Player
Private Message
Message 4 of 6

I'm honestly at a loss to figure out what happened.

Firstly, earlier in the evening, I had send an email to X. I didn't get a response, so the email was only in my sent items folder.

Then I searched for emails from Y (copying her name and searching for it, therefore clearing X's email address from my most recently copied items), drafted an email reply and sent it.

This morning, I find that the email to Y had sent to X.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 6

You say you replied to a person's email. OK, that bit I understand. You select the email then hit the Reply link.

Did you then see a modal asking you to Confirm recipient(s) and select Reply all or Reply to sender?

Or did you see a modal to compose and send the reply to the sender.

I may be confused by your comment:

a simple accidental pasting wouldn't have done it as I had searched for the intended recipient.

What were the exact steps you took to search for the intended recipient and then include that recipient in the reply to the person's email if the person you were sending to wasn't the sender!  Perhaps you could explain and I'll see if I can replicate here.