cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to receive emails

Johnclark39
Popular Poster
Private Message
Private Message

Message 28 of 28

Please help me.

It appears that you have disconnected my email address obscured for customer security as you suggest that my settings are insecure.  I have checked my server port settings and incoming and outgoing mail server ports and they appear to be correct.  I have tried to change the incoming password as it appears to differ from the outgoing password but I am unable to make any change as, when I try to save the changes I get a warning flag which states:  "Unable to verify account name or password.”

I am able to send emails from my computer (Apple Mail) but cannot receive emails.  I can access these via TalkTalk mail

I have spoken to two customer service phone numbers and neither appear to be able to resolve the issue.  The loss of my email address will cause me sever problems, not only in having to advise hundreds of contacts of a new address but also the need to re-print stationery and business cards.

I am using an Apple Mac computer, macOS Monterey version 12.6.2, Apple mail V16.0.
Your help in resolving this issue would be much appreciated.
John Clark

0 Likes
27 REPLIES 27

Message 1 of 28

So, Johnclark39 

That means the outgoing SMTP server is dropping the connection because your password, that may work for receiving and in webmail, has been rejected by the SMTP server.

So, using your master pipex email address change and upgrade the password.

Hopefully you'll have pre-registered for password recovery an alternate email address and mobile number. Either can be selected in the password reset process to receive an emailed link or a 6 digit code by mobile text message to authenticate a password change. It's worth checking these Reset details are present and correct before opting to change the password. 

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your email address and your email password, select Sign in.

Update your reset details is an option on the main settings menu (triple line icon on the top right header or cog icon on a mobile browser).

Menu options - Update your reset details 05Aug2020

Check, update and Save the Reset details if needed, then use the Reset password now button in the help page  Changing your email password.

My recommendation is to exceed the minimum required and use a password of 12-15 multicase letters and numbers and a symbol. Created from multiple words gives an opportunity to memorise the password that, for security, needs to be unique to the mailbox.

Let us know that you're now back in control.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 2 of 28

I've checked again and your mailbox does have full access.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 3 of 28

Thanks for trying anyway 

JC

Message 4 of 28

Well, the 'obvious' eludes me! I will have to fall on my sword in shame!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 28

Yes it is set at 995. I can receive emails though 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 28

Cannot get mail tells me its the incoming connection that's failed. You did change that incoming port number to 995, yes?

Message 7 of 28

Hi Gondola,  Not sure if it is relevant, but when I try to send email I get a flag note:  "Cannot get mail - the connection to the server failed."

0 Likes

Message 8 of 28

It's probably something very obvious but everything you've shown / said indicates mail sending should work. What error message do you see when sending fails?

Message 9 of 28

Hi Gondola,

I have deleted and re-added the email account but I am still unable to send from the (POP3) .dsl.pipex account.  Any other ideas?

JC

0 Likes

Message 10 of 28

Settings perfectly good, all seems ok.

Message 11 of 28

Outgoing screenshotOutgoing screenshot

I have tried power down - no good, so if settings appear good I will try delete and re-add.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 28

The outgoing server settings certainly looked OK when you posted them just needing the Username, password and Authentication by PASSWORD setting and it should send.

Show me a new screenshot, redact the first part of the email address. If that looks good then it must just be a glitch in the phone setup so the usual power down and power back on and retry or if that doesn't resolve then delete and re-add the email account on the phone.

Message 13 of 28

Yes, I have tried it with both the master address and the alias, but to no avail

0 Likes

Message 14 of 28

Did you add the master pipex mailbox address and password to the outgoing smtp server to authenticate the sending?

0 Likes

Message 15 of 28

Hi Gondola,

Thank you for your help last week.  My Email service has now been restored, but unfortunately, I am still unable to send mail from my primary (POP3) address from my iPhone.  I have checked that the outgoing server settings are as you described but it still does not work.  I am able to send from my iPhone using my alternative email address so it is not a phone fault.  Any ideas?

JOHN CLARK

Message 16 of 28

Hi Johnclark39, I've added your mailbox to those to be restored to normal function. Please allow 48 hours for the change to complete.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 17 of 28

I'll be here to support you all the way so if there are any hiccups we can fix them together.

Message 18 of 28

Thank you so much Gondola.  Hopefully once TalkTalk switch me back on all will be well.

Message 19 of 28

Almost there.

The username (full email address) and password are not optional even though the app says they are. Authentication is by Password.

So, when you put in the username and password the device settings will be all correct and ready to receive mail messages and send mail messages securely.

Message 20 of 28

Hi Gondola,

Thank you again for your guidance, I have changed the incoming port setting.  Don't know how I missed that. Screenshot of outgoing server page attached.

outgoing  server imageoutgoing server image

0 Likes