Need help?

Can I really get Fibre?

ANSWERED
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi Everyone,

I am moving house in about 3 weeks and

I have ordered Faster Fibre from TalkTalk.

So far "Everything is running smoothly" according to my account page.

The thing that concerns me is if I use the BT Checker it says I can't get fibre

even though I am only 283 Meters from the exchange.

So can I really get fibre from TalkTalk?

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Caddell what do the current owners say?

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi @Divsec 

Unfortunately the new house is empty atm (we are going to rent the property) and the landlord doesn't know.

TalkTalk have given me a new phone number if that helps.

Highlighted
Community Star

Oh that's a shame, I'm afraid your best bet will be to wait till tomorrow when the professional s are in.

The good news is TT have accepted your order 😁

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
Highlighted
Community Star

Hmm, paradoxically being so close to the exchange could be problematic. The majority of fibre services are FTCC, or Fibre To The Cabinet. If your line is directly connected to the exchange rather than via a cabinet then you cannot get this service. The support team should be able to check this for you.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

An interesting result from EE broadband checker:

"Fibre broadband not currently available due to current capacity constraints."

I read somewhere that TalkTalk are LLU operators in my area, so do they have their own fibre lines reserved to offer to customers?

Highlighted
Community Star

Copy and paste the results from here, obscuring the address. If taking a screenshot, use the camera icon.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Caddell 

All ISPs rent lines in the cabinet, that is why some company checkers either report "unavailable" or "capacity issues" when others do not, they have sold out all the connections they have paid for.

Martin
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi @ferguson

Screenshot_2020-08-02 BT Broadband.png

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thank you @martswain 

So it's possible TalkTalk have lines to spare then when O2 or EE don't.

Highlighted
Community Star

So in principle it is available, which is good news. The ominous words there are "Waiting list." Rather than engage in further speculation it is probably best to wait for a response from the support team. 

Highlighted
Repeat Guest
Yes you are right, I'll wait for a response from the support team. Thank you all for the answers so far.
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff
Solution

Hi

I'm showing the account is progressing as fibre.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thanks @OCE_Karl that's good news. 😀

I see I'm down for an engineers visit, won't they just switch it from the exchange?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

Fibre is usually connected at the local cabinet, sometimes they may come to the house to check its working.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thanks everyone for your help. 👍