Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre Speed Boost not giving minimum speed promised

46 REPLIES 46
Highlighted
Team Player

I was told that my guaranteed minimum download speed is 44.6mbps. I never get more than 36mbps. I have now had 3 extremely lengthy online chats - each one going through all the same tests - but nothing has changed. In December I was told that - "Under our speed code of practice, we have 30 calendar days to make improvements. If after 30 days we can’t improve your service we will notify you by email of your right to cancel your contract without any termination fees." 

Nothing happened!!

Today, I have been informed that my line has been re profiled and I should keep an eye on it for the next 48 hours, then get back in touch if no improvement. That was 6 hours ago. So far no change. 

Is this common?? It's very frustrating.

Highlighted
Community Star

Can you tell us where you are getting this number of 36 Mbps from? If speedtests is it wired, wireless, or both?

Highlighted
Team Player

Both wired and WiFi speed tests.

Same results today, 24 hours in to the 48 hours TalkTalk said to monitor it for.

Highlighted
Community Star

OK, the online support team will gladly look into this for you, make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond. Bear in mind that they are not usually online at the weekend, so it is likely to be Monday at the earliest.

Highlighted
Team Player

Many thanks

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi PAH76,

Your current sync speed is 42.1Mbps.

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you have anything connected to your telephone sockets in addition to your router?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris,

I've just run another speed test and get 36.27 on my wired PC and 36.3 on my iPhone, which is connected by wifi.

I just have 2 phone sockets. The main one in the hall and one in the bedroom. Current the landline phone and the router are plugged into the bedroom socket, but I have tried the router in the main socket, both with and without the front cover attached. Speed is still 36Mbps.

Highlighted
Team Player

Is the sync speed set by Talktalk? If so, it clearly isn't high enough to provide the guaranteed 44.6 mbps i was told I would receive.

Highlighted

Thanks for the information 

The sync speed depends mostly on the length and quality of the copper cable running from the street cabinet to your home and the profile set by BT's line management system (DLM) 

How long did you leave the router connected to your test socket? It would really need to be left connected for at least 48 hours to allow DLM to monitor the connection and respond to any improvement in connection stats

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Router was only in the test socket for a few minutes

Highlighted

OK thanks. You won't see an immediate speed increase when you connect you router to the test socket as the line profile will be limiting your speed, you need to give DLM long enough to move you to a faster profile. Would you be able to connect your router to the test socket again and leave it there for at least 48 hours 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes, I'll do it now.

Highlighted

Hi PAH76,

Thank you. Please can you bump your thread (request an update) on Wednesday and we can re-check the connection stats again to see how the sync speed compares.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Yes will do. Interestingly, my speed test now reads 39.8Mbps. A promising start!

Highlighted
Highlighted
Team Player

we're coming up to 48 hours of connection to my test socket and they has been no change in my speed since I first connected. Speed test still shows 40.00 mbps. Still short of my "guaranteed minimum" 

Highlighted

Hi PAH76

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at 42.1mb.

If you have tested with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then the next step will be to arrange a Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello,

yes I have tried another router etc and get the same speed test results

Hi PAH76

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie,

Any news on when the engineer will be coming